Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did someone try the Hasselblad H Macro Converter?  (Read 4255 times)

hasselbladfan

Did someone try the Hasselblad H Macro Converter?
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:08:43 am »

It seem to be specially developed for the HC 50mm II (but can also be used on other lenses - except zooms).

Does it give better results than a HC 100mm with an extension ring?

Anybody tried it? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Joe Towner

Re: Did someone try the Hasselblad H Macro Converter?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:18:29 pm »

Per their marketing, and chatting up my sales guy back in the day, the Macro Converter is a lot better than the basic extension tube.  Unfortunatly the rental market is such that I can't imagine anywhere that has it on hand, so you're at the mercy of a Hasselblad rep show up with one.
t: @PNWMF

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 03:54:39 pm »

Does it give better results than a HC 100mm with an extension ring?

Yes, but that is not that difficult. The 100mm does not give uniform sharpness with extension rings.

As to the questions you did not ask: the macro converter gives stellar results on the HC-50mm II. Not so much with other lenses, even if Hasselblad says it is usable. Its main use is to allow to use the HC-50mm II for product photography on the HTS.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 04:14:58 pm »

I've wanted to try that as well before buying.  In the meantime...I had an old Canon 500D close up filter that I put on the 80mm lens and it works great.  I use that with the tele-converter and its honestly not that bad of a close-up combination.  I've been pleased with the results. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

hasselbladfan

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »

That's what I figured out by now (100mm is not great with ext. ring).

Since I have a HC 50mm II, I am going to ask to try it on one of the demo days. I am sure they can find one.

I guess it gives also good results without the HTS.

BAB

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

yes and you might want to try it also with the 1.7x and the HTS 1.5 should be possible
with the 50 mm (37.20) and the HTS 1.5x you will achieve 55.80mm in 35mm terms not really good enough for macro or small product photography.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:31:03 pm »

The 1.7x converter is not compatible with the 50mm. It can be used, but the results are poor.

As to the 50mm, macro-converter and HTS combination, it seems it has been designed for product photography, especially watches and jewellery. Tilt is very useful in that case.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:53:53 am »

As to the 50mm, macro-converter and HTS combination, it seems it has been designed for product photography, especially watches and jewellery.

In my case, I will use it more for flowers, insect and small animals. Except the flowers, they won't wait till I am ready with my tilt positions. :)

landscapephoto

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 05:20:47 pm »

Then use the 120 macro, which has the further advantage that the distance to the small animal is larger. Or even the 300mm with extensions, this guy is doing just that: http://www.hasselblad.com/inspiration/storytellers/ghislain-simard

hasselbladfan

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 03:58:21 pm »

Then use the 120 macro, which has the further advantage that the distance to the small animal is larger. Or even the 300mm with extensions, this guy is doing just that:

Sure.

1. The HC 120mm is a different price tag for something I only need from time to time. Since I have already the HC 50mm II, it is reasonable.
2. On the other hand, the HC 300mm is tempting. :) However, I will never get such great results.

BAB

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:50:18 pm »

The 1.7x converter is not compatible with the 50mm. It can be used, but the results are poor.

As to the 50mm, macro-converter and HTS combination, it seems it has been designed for product photography, especially watches and jewellery. Tilt is very useful in that case.

Not sure where you head that but I use the 50ii and the 1.7x all the time and have never noticed sub par results, I shoot a lot of jewelry and the 120 works best alone without the 1.7x on it, I have tried the 120 with the HTS but don't like the results (yes it works with the 120). What would be beneficial is a 150mm macro with tilt built in.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

landscapephoto

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 02:19:35 am »

I have tried the 120 with the HTS but don't like the results (yes it works with the 120).

The 120 macro cannot be physically mounted on the HTS, its barrel is too wide and collides with the HTS mechanics.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 03:12:44 pm »

The HC120 can be used with HTS but only when putting an extention ring in between. The 100 with rings will give a better result, one of the reasons might also be that the correction calculations are not made for the HC120 with the HTS and extention rings. It was a fun experiment to do but IMO it is not a combination that you should seriously be using.

I have a HC50II and sometimes use it together with the macro converter. I like both a lot and think the 50II is an excellent lens, it is starting to become one of my favourite lenses next to the HC100.

The nice thing about the 50II with the macro converter is that it gives no (visible) image degradation.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 04:44:17 pm »

I have a HC50II and sometimes use it together with the macro converter. I like both a lot and think the 50II is an excellent lens, it is starting to become one of my favourite lenses next to the HC100.

The nice thing about the 50II with the macro converter is that it gives no (visible) image degradation.

Thanks, guys. I got more info then I could have asked for. Great stuff.

Let's hope I can find quickly a reasonably priced one in the For Sale area. :) Otherwise, it will be a full price one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up