Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative Character Set  (Read 1818 times)

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
Alternative Character Set
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:02:57 am »

I am using Lightroom CC on an iMac 27" (latest model). I am trying to caption images from Hungary including alternative characters (e.g. ö) which you can do on the iMac by holding the letter key down. When I do this in LR it freezes and I have to restart the computer. I have discussed this with Apple Support and they have no idea why. can anybody help?

Thanks!

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

mbaginy

Re: Alternative Character Set
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 04:06:22 am »

Gerry, residing in Germany, I often caption images with German ä, ö, ü and have never encountered LR to freeze.  The software suddenly jumps to some other function but never freezes.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find exactly which umlaut letter causes problems - it might be a combination of two letters typed is sequence.  I need to look at the keyboard while typing and later notice that something else has happened.

I've found it quite aggravating to use LR with a German keyboard and also trying to find a common language with which to caption images (English or German?).  It haven't been able to find the German equivalent for the backslash key.  A number of times I've listened to Michael, Jeff, Seth, Julieanne and other speak about using keyboard shortcuts which simply aren't available (at least I haven't found them!) using that darned backslash key.

Hopefully someone will offer you a functioning solution to your problem which may also offer me some aid.

By the way, do you caption your images in one or more languages?  And how do you distinguish between them?  I'd like to caption one in black, the other in dark blue or use cursive font to distinguish - some form which is readably visible.  Sadly, I haven't found any solution which LR permits.

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 04:18:48 am »

Gerry, residing in Germany, I often caption images with German ä, ö, ü and have never encountered LR to freeze.  The software suddenly jumps to some other function but never freezes.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find exactly which umlaut letter causes problems - it might be a combination of two letters typed is sequence.  I need to look at the keyboard while typing and later notice that something else has happened.

I've found it quite aggravating to use LR with a German keyboard and also trying to find a common language with which to caption images (English or German?).  It haven't been able to find the German equivalent for the backslash key.  A number of times I've listened to Michael, Jeff, Seth, Julieanne and other speak about using keyboard shortcuts which simply aren't available (at least I haven't found them!) using that darned backslash key.

Hopefully someone will offer you a functioning solution to your problem which may also offer me some aid.

By the way, do you caption your images in one or more languages?  And how do you distinguish between them?  I'd like to caption one in black, the other in dark blue or use cursive font to distinguish - some form which is readably visible.  Sadly, I haven't found any solution which LR permits.

Mike

Thanks for getting back to me.

I think I might start using Photo mechanic for captioning, but it is simply easier in Lightroom. I do have the odd keyword in German as a synonym from the Englis, but in general I only caption in English - mainly because i don't think my German is good enough.

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:22:16 am »

Another alternative is to use the Hungarian keyboard layout.  This can be accessed from ‘Language & Text’ located in the System Preferences.  You need the tab marked ‘Input Sources’ under which a comprehensive list of keyboard layouts appears.  I use a Turkish keyboard layout for Turkish characters.  You can keep a quickly accessible menu in the menu bar (a tick-box in the same preferances panel).

I hope this helps.

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:49:19 am »

Another alternative is to use the Hungarian keyboard layout.  This can be accessed from ‘Language & Text’ located in the System Preferences.  You need the tab marked ‘Input Sources’ under which a comprehensive list of keyboard layouts appears.  I use a Turkish keyboard layout for Turkish characters.  You can keep a quickly accessible menu in the menu bar (a tick-box in the same preferances panel).

I hope this helps.

Simon

I was hoping to avoid the need to swap character sets halfway through working, and I am aware that I could do that but it seems a hell of a fuss for just the odd letter.

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 04:16:57 am »

Gerry.

I'm not trying to persuade you into using an alternative keyboard layout but with the Turkish keyboard all the standard English letters (lower case and caps) are available with accented versions available using the Option/Alt key as a modifier.

So, by way of example, ö is available suing Option+o.

Is this not the case with the Hungarian layout ?

Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up