Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo Actus with MF/film-era lenses(Hass, RZ, P645/67, etc)  (Read 6228 times)

DanielStone

Hey all,

I'm considering a partial move to using a Sony A7Rii body with a Cambo Actus.

In regards to lenses, I currently have a Pentax 67ii kit that includes the 45, 55, 90, 200mm and 300 mm lenses. For film usage, they are all spectacular. I am asking opinions on if they are sufficient for use with the Sony A7Rii.

I see that Cambo has a Pentax 645 lensboard, so I'd use the 645->67 adapter.

The lens I'm also looking to add to my kit is the 100 macro.

thx,
Dan

DanielStone

Re: Cambo Actus with MF/film-era lenses(Hass, RZ, P645/67, etc)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 02:23:43 pm »

Anyone?

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone has used the Actus as a "view camera" focus/tilt-shift module on the front end of say a 645D/Z camera, for doing macro/tabletop work...
I have a 90mm APO-Rodagon-N lens that's spectacularly sharp for enlargements, so was thinking that as an option too.

Yes, I know I'm all over the map, but I don't want to start multiple threads :D

-Dan

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 07:11:17 am »

I've used the p645 lenses on the A7r and like the rendering and sharpness. Imagine the P67 lenses would work well also.

As for using it with a 645z, there isn't any mount for one, would require a custom rear standard and use of the DB+
So wouldnt be so good for using ths Sony.  Why not just use the Sony with that enlarger lens and the extended bellows/focus rail.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:00:54 pm »

I've used the p645 lenses on the A7r and like the rendering and sharpness. Imagine the P67 lenses would work well also.

As for using it with a 645z, there isn't any mount for one, would require a custom rear standard and use of the DB+
So wouldnt be so good for using ths Sony.  Why not just use the Sony with that enlarger lens and the extended bellows/focus rail.

It's not the same as using them on the Actus with a Sony mirrorless... It will all depend on the ability to nail focus with the Actus (or other view camera)... Does anybody know the focusing distance change that a 360 degree turn of the focusing knob causes?  I would like to know that for the Universallis too...

TimoK

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:04:12 am »

It's not the same as using them on the Actus with a Sony mirrorless... It will all depend on the ability to nail focus with the Actus (or other view camera)... Does anybody know the focusing distance change that a 360 degree turn of the focusing knob causes?  I would like to know that for the Universallis too...
I use Actus with Canon 6D. I have no problems to nail focus in live view at landscape photos.Turning focussing knob 360 degree moves rear standard ~16mm. With MF lenses you can also use lenses own focussing ring. I've got some usable pictures with Distagon 50mm using fle and focussing ring of lens.

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 06:08:17 am »

How about picking up an adapter to use the P67 lenses straight on the sony to see what they look like first?
I got a Mirex adapter to use the p645 lenses on a canon mount, works fine with the Metabones.

When I had the Actus on demo I mostly just set it at infinity for the canon lenses then mounted the p645 lenses with the canon mount and the Mirex. Then I focused using the lens instead of the rail. Was mostly for speed as I was trying it on a job. All worked great and there are a few results on the Cambo UK blog.

Theodoros

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 06:34:27 am »

How about picking up an adapter to use the P67 lenses straight on the sony to see what they look like first?
I got a Mirex adapter to use the p645 lenses on a canon mount, works fine with the Metabones.

When I had the Actus on demo I mostly just set it at infinity for the canon lenses then mounted the p645 lenses with the canon mount and the Mirex. Then I focused using the lens instead of the rail. Was mostly for speed as I was trying it on a job. All worked great and there are a few results on the Cambo UK blog.

16mm is as much as a Sinar p2 has and better than the 20mm that the Rollei X-Act 2 has... It may still be time consuming for macro work though with today's small pixel DSLRs... I wonder how much the Universallis is.

Sinar claims a 30% improvement for the later version of the P3, this should bring it down to 11.5mm for a full 360 degs turn of the focusing knob, or more than 30 degrees for only one mm... pretty good I should think... Still, I think the "plain" α7II should be a better choice as to use on a view camera than the α7rII... I should think that the O/P should be fine with MF lenses on the Actus, but I would still opt (which I did) for the α7ΙΙ as to use for image area.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:38:16 am by Theodoros »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 10:34:44 pm »

Almost all of our Cambo testing has been with Sony A7R and most recently with A7R-II - they're the most capable matches for the Actus, though it can also be used with Fuji/Panasonic/Olympus mirrorless cameras as well (Canon and Nikon DSLR too, although the thicker bodies negate some of the wider lens options).

Most "excellent" medium format lenses are handled well on the Sony. I haven't used any of the Pentax lenses yet, but have experience with Hasselblad and RZ 67 lenses, and the good ones have proved an exceptional match, with huge image circles.

We have numerous in depth reviews of the Actus product line in our blog, and regularly stock the entire product line.

We do offer evaluation rentals on the Actus products (creditable toward purchase) but since we've received so many questions with regard to sensor/lens combinations, it is also possible to send a lens to us and we will mount to one of our Actus units and provide raw files from a user specified subject/scene with the combination in question.

** There is no Actus product that can accommodate a medium format camera, like a Pentax body. There are still a few remaining Cambo X2 Pro cameras available in our inventory that can accommodate the Phase One DF/DF+/XF camera bodies. The X2 Pro features similar benefits to the Actus products - many different lenses can be utilized (though the form factor is decidedly larger). The benefit of the X2 Pro in combination with a P1 body is that it allows for through the lens viewing, which reduces the need to purchase a CMOS-based digital back, and opens up more flexible options for the back end capture unit (older backs like P45+/P65+, as well as newer CCD-based products like a Credo 60 or IQ160, for example).

https://captureintegration.com/first-look-cambo-actus/
https://captureintegration.com/first-look-cambo-actus-ef-aperture-controller-for-canon/
https://captureintegration.com/cambo-actus-db-big-changes-for-a-tiny-view-camera/
https://captureintegration.com/cambo/cambo-x-2-pro/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:07:30 am »

Steven, can you please inform us on how much the "focus throw" (how much distance for a 360degs turn) of the Actus is and how much the respective one of the Universallis?

As far as the X-Pro with respect to Actus comparison, I don't think that a customer for one would consider the other.... I think that a customer for the Actus would make his choice with respect to the Universallis, while one that would cosider the X-Pro, would probably consider the H-cam...

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 11:58:30 am »

I visited Clyde Butcher's gallery in Florida in  January.  While there I learned that he's switched from large format film to digital. (It's gotten hard for him to lug the film stuff around anymore).  He's using the Cambo Actus with the Sony A7RII and medium format lenses (I think Mamiya's RB67 or RZ67 but not totally sure).  He also stitches multiple photos.  His large digital prints are as fantastic as his film prints. http://www.icontact-archive.com/5jTcF_lnvVrTWn_uSQAJj5jEIK_DY9CH?w=3

Steve Hendrix:  are you familiar with his set-up? 

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 12:08:20 pm »

I visited Clyde Butcher's gallery in Florida in  January.  While there I learned that he's switched from large format film to digital. (It's gotten hard for him to lug the film stuff around anymore).  He's using the Cambo Actus with the Sony A7RII and medium format lenses (I think Mamiya's RB67 or RZ67 but not totally sure).  He also stitches multiple photos.  His large digital prints are as fantastic as his film prints. http://www.icontact-archive.com/5jTcF_lnvVrTWn_uSQAJj5jEIK_DY9CH?w=3

Steve Hendrix:  are you familiar with his set-up?

Hi Alan, yes I am. Clyde sourced his Cambo solution through Capture Integration, and from his accounts, has been impressed with the quality and enjoys the freedom of motion a 2.5 pound view camera provides. He is employing a mix of Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ 67 lenses (and others). In particular, he utilizes the Mamiya RZ 75mm TS Lens. This greatly expands the scene coverage and number of frames he can capture, since the 75mm TS lens has a huge image circle, and the additional shift movements of the lens can be added to the already expansive native movements of the Cambo Actus. The camera is light, but the files are massive.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

BobDavid

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 01:20:37 am »

I've been using the Actus with an Olympus E-M5 II.  At some point, I may acquire a second-hand A7r II.  As Steve points out, The Actus and A7x combo is a perfect match.

Still, I've been able to do some really cool stuff with the Oly.

My lens kit consists of high-end enlarger lenses ranging from a WA 60mm to a 105mm ( the Rodenstock Rodagon APO 80mm N is stellar). For my style of photography, I like flat-field short telephoto lenses. The one think I truly missed, due to the constraints of MFT, was a normal lens. When I heard about the Cambo Actar 24mm f/3.5, I rented one from CI. I put it through some rigorous tests, and I was so impressed that I purchased it. I am in the process of writing a review of the lens (way overdue). I have some files that I'd be happy to share.

The lens is scary sharp at f/8. CA is well controlled, linearity is excellent--virtually free of distortion.

Whether or not the Actar is a stripped down Samyang tilt-shift lens is irrelevant. At $1,500, it's a bargain. I've shifted the back standard +/- 15 mm and the image quality holds up fine--razor sharp corner to corner. The only negative is that the lens is susceptible to flare. However, I've taken many flare-free photos of sunsets. Perhaps the reason is due to the low angle of the sun and the absence of UV rays.

Last summer, I got a second-hand A7. It coupled nicely with the Actus. However I don't like the A7. I don't like the files it renders and the ergonomics are clunky, especially compared to the Oly. I sold the A7 shortly after I got it. The A7r II, despite ergonomic pitfalls, produces excellent files. I'll snatch one up when Sony comes out with the A7r III.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:31:35 am by BobDavid »

Theodoros

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 04:35:19 am »

One has to Admit that both the Actus and the Universallis are modern cameras that the market was lucking up to now... There is one thing that I don't like on the Universallis, namely the luck of side shifts on the front standard, but there are considerably more that the Actus lucks with respect to it (the luck of both side shifts and of up-down on the front standard, the limited range of movements and the bellows attachment) which makes the Universallis to look "more of a camera" than the price difference between the two suggests. Additionally, the Universallis looks much more "ready" to work with MFDBs in parallel use with a FF mirrorless and can even allow one to keep his "old habits" (and system) or - if a new comer - to advance on sheet film...

However, both cameras make much more sense financially as they cost near the same price as a good 85-90mm FF tilt-shift lens and at the same time offer the opportunity for the huge base of (very capable) MF lenses of the past as to be resurrected and become useful once more...

In a way, I think that the presence of both cameras is more important and educational to photographers than one may think, as they  provide solutions for new comers to advance to "real photography", adapt "real photography" to modern size image areas and help new comers to advance their technical knowledge, yet making the step more easy to access than ever before.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2016, 11:05:51 am »

Shot this yesterday in the new studio.  A7r2 / Universalis / 'Blad 80mm CFe.  Something really beautiful about the way the Zeiss renders here.  We're so fortunate to have so many tools available to us!

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 11:27:44 am »

Chris, what is the "focus throw" (ie how much distance on the rail for 360 degs turn) on the Universallis? Also, what is it on the MF2? Do you happen to know the same for the Actus?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 01:13:22 pm »

Hi,

I have a set of Hasselblad V lenses, 40/4FLE, 60/3.5, 100/3.5, 120/4 and 180/4.

I have done some tests with the 40/4FLE, the 60/3.5 CF and the 120/4 CFi. The way I tested was using -15/0/+15 mm shifts on my HCam Master TS.

What I have found was:

- 40/4FLE is not really useful
- 60/3.5 CF OK, but looses some sharpness off axis
- 100/3.5 is quite sharp across the field
- 120/4 is OK

The stitched images from these tests were around 80 MP. The way I see it the Hassy lenses are sort of OK, but will probably be outperformed by modern lenses in most cases.

If you need ample shifts, the Hasselblad lenses will deliver. The Distagon 40/4 CF FLE may be an exception, but it could deliver very good results on my P45+.

I often use the 120 Macro with the A7rII, as it can be tilted, and that can be quite useful in some close up shooting. It works well in that area.

On the Sony A7rII I use mostly zooms. The 16-35/4 L from Canon is great. In the standard zoom range I have three lenses, the Canon 24-105/4 L. The 24-105/4 is not the same class as the 16-35/4L. I also have a Zeiss/Contax 28-85/3.3-4 that I use for Scheimpflug. That lens is a mixed bag. I also own the Zeiss/Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5. Both Contax lenses are pretty good at the long end.

In the end, I don't feel the Hasselblad lenses have a great utility for me. Would I need shift in the normal/short telephoto range, the Hasselblad lenses would be great.

I did compare the Canon 24-105/4, the Sony 90/2.8 Macro and the Contax 28-135/3.3-4.5 stopped down to f/8. They were very close, except the Canon being ugly in the corners. The Sony achieves maximum performance somewhere between f/4 and f/5.6, so it could not play its strength at f/8.

If you shoot at f/8, most decent lenses will be quiet OK. Truly great lenses achieve maximum performance around f/4 or f/5.6.

In typical work you may not be able to used optimum aperture and you may not be able to achieve optimum focus. So the benefit of truly great lenses may be lost.

Best regards
Erik

Hey all,

I'm considering a partial move to using a Sony A7Rii body with a Cambo Actus.

In regards to lenses, I currently have a Pentax 67ii kit that includes the 45, 55, 90, 200mm and 300 mm lenses. For film usage, they are all spectacular. I am asking opinions on if they are sufficient for use with the Sony A7Rii.

I see that Cambo has a Pentax 645 lensboard, so I'd use the 645->67 adapter.

The lens I'm also looking to add to my kit is the 100 macro.

thx,
Dan
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:07:49 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2016, 08:44:32 pm »

Chris, what is the "focus throw" (ie how much distance on the rail for 360 degs turn) on the Universallis? Also, what is it on the MF2? Do you happen to know the same for the Actus?

Theo... One full rotation on the focus knob moves the standard roughly 20mm.  Same on both cameras, as I would expect.  I don't have an Actus, so no idea there.  If you're using slr lenses, I believe you have finer focus on the barrels than you would on the rail.  You'll find that slr lenses have much finer adjustments in the closer focus distances, so sometimes, I'll set the focus on the barrel near the minimum focus distance, do a rough focus on the rail and then dial it in on the lens barrel.  Yada yada.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 10:29:33 pm by Chris Barrett »

BobDavid

Pages: [1]   Go Up