Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon Pro 1000 Printer Driver 'Off (no colour adjustments)' option missing?  (Read 10462 times)

Nick Walker

• www.sportpicturelibrary.com

I cannot (neither could the Canon technician) find the printer 'off (no colour adjustments)' option in Mac OSX EI Capitan - he could only find this option using the Windows platform.

Printing from Photoshop CC, (Photoshop manages colours), or printing from Lightroom - Colorsync and Canon Color matching, both options are greyed out with ColorSync showing as selected in the print options (dot shown under ColorSync option).

I was about to profile my printer with Eye One spectro but I cannot print the test patches unless I know that there will definitely be no colour adjustments - ColorSync is not where I want to be.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the Pro 1000 using a Mac please?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com

I cannot (neither could the Canon technician) find the printer 'off (no colour adjustments)' option in Mac OSX EI Capitan - he could only find this option using the Windows platform.

Printing from Photoshop CC, (Photoshop manages colours), or printing from Lightroom - Colorsync and Canon Color matching, both options are greyed out with ColorSync showing as selected in the print options (dot shown under ColorSync option).

I was about to profile my printer with Eye One spectro but I cannot print the test patches unless I know that there will definitely be no colour adjustments - ColorSync is not where I want to be.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with the Pro 1000 using a Mac please?

If I remember correctly from when I was doing all this, with this printer on a Mac, when you select application colour management, printer colour management is automatically turned off. Download the Adobe Color Print Utility (ACPU) from the Adobe website and print your profiling targets from that application, making sure to select the correct Media Type in the Print dialog from that application.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

Since you're on a Mac, you can also print via the ColorSync Utility which has a 'print as color target' mode which does what you want.

Nick Walker

If I remember correctly from when I was doing all this, with this printer on a Mac, when you select application colour management, printer colour management is automatically turned off. Download the Adobe Color Print Utility (ACPU) from the Adobe website and print your profiling targets from that application, making sure to select the correct Media Type in the Print dialog from that application.

Hi Mark,

I have been printing test charts from Adobe Color Print Utility (ACPU) for several years.

Today, I downloaded and was experimenting with the i1Profiler application - printing charts directly from its printer profiling module. I will return to using ACPU.

I suppose my question should have been, is it becoming the norm in the printer software/driver for the 'off (no color adjustments)' to no longer be available as an option using Mac OSX?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:12:46 pm by N Walker »

Nick Walker

Since you're on a Mac, you can also print via the ColorSync Utility which has a 'print as color target' mode which does what you want.

Thanks,

I will take a look at this ColorSync option.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Hi Mark,

I have printing test charts from Adobe Color Print Utility (ACPU) for several years.

Today, I downloaded and was experimenting with the i1Profiler application - printing charts directly from its printer profiling module. I will return to using ACPU.

I suppose my question should have been, is it becoming the norm in the printer software/driver for the 'off (no color adjustments)' to no longer be available as an option using Mac OSX?

You can have "no COlor Management" selected in the Printer Driver, but Colorsync will still perform some colour management - my recollection of that issue, and I don't think it has changed since the problem first occurred. That is what ACPU was designed to work around. I too have printed targets from i1Profiler and the results were not good. X-Rite, being the kind of outfit it is, i1Profiler has no documentation worth the name so I have no idea whether that was pilot error or inadequacy of the application, and no time to waste on X-Rite's nonsense trying to figure out when ACPU provides a completely workable solution.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Howard, I am on El Capitan 10.11.5 and I didn't see any such tool in ColorSync Utility. But maybe I missed it. Can you indicate how to find it?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
ColorSync Utility note
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 03:45:59 pm »

I now use the ColorSync Utility for printing targets (10.10/11) but noticed that it has a habit of defaulting to expand the image to fit the paper.

I just remember check the scale option and set to 100% ... I have several huge target sheets produced during recent testing of the P7000 and PRO-1000 where I missed this little 'feature'.

howardm

Mark, 

Open/load the target .tif file in ColorSync Utility and then cmd-P.  Select the printer you want and in the pulldown menu for the various sub-functions, under ColorSync Utility, you'll find 'Color:' pulldown.  The last item on that pulldown is 'Print as Color Target'. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Thanks Howard, every time I try to do anything in that utility I get the spinning beachball - with 24GB RAM and 24 virtual cores. Something silly going on. But I'll try it.

howardm

Weird.  I know sometimes ColorSync does take it's time coming up, esp. if it's querying the Devices tab but I can't think of much other reason

studio208

Hello all. Re Canon & turning off CM in Mac 10.11

I have the same problem with a new Canon pro-2000. I Noted Howards suggestion using the color sync utility, thought it was a great idea, however disappointingly the "print as color target" doesn't exist in the available drop downs.
I tried ACPU, however it's not playing nicely in the Mac 10.11 and only prints 1/2 the targets. At this stage, the Canon techs have no answers.
The ColorMunki and an i1 have all failed. To addd confusion the i1 appears to have corrupted the print drivers resulting in a print taking some 3 hours to run a 40 x 60cm b&w.
After uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, the printer is again printing correctly, however profiling seems near to impossible at the moment.
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Hello all. Re Canon & turning off CM in Mac 10.11

I have the same problem with a new Canon pro-2000. I Noted Howards suggestion using the color sync utility, thought it was a great idea, however disappointingly the "print as color target" doesn't exist in the available drop downs.
I tried ACPU, however it's not playing nicely in the Mac 10.11 and only prints 1/2 the targets. At this stage, the Canon techs have no answers.
The ColorMunki and an i1 have all failed. To addd confusion the i1 appears to have corrupted the print drivers resulting in a print taking some 3 hours to run a 40 x 60cm b&w.
After uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, the printer is again printing correctly, however profiling seems near to impossible at the moment.
Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

I've used ACPU to print targets in the Epson P800, Canon Pro-1000 and Canon Pro-2000. Many of them in fact. I have experienced no problem of half-printed targets. Using ACPU and El Capitan, as usual the ACPU requires that you open and print one page of your target at a time. Each page prints fully. How large is your profiling target, and is it provided in a format to allow printing of one readable sheet at a time?

You say the ColorMunki and i1 have all failed? Failed at doing what? What exactly is the problem? Is the i1 you talk about the i1 spectrophotometer, or i1 Profiler software?

I don't think there is any way an i1 can corrupt a printer driver. The two have nothing to do with each other. What makes you think this?

When you say profiling appears nearly impossible at the moment, in what ways is this the case? Only because your targets aren't printing, or are there other issues here?

Sorry to be asking all these questions, but without crystal clarity regarding the issues it's hard to understand what's going on and make useful suggestions if I could.

studio208

Hello Mark, thank you for your interest.

I've used ACPU to print targets in the Epson P800, Canon Pro-1000 and Canon Pro-2000. Many of them in fact. I have experienced no problem of half-printed targets. Using ACPU and El Capitan, as usual the ACPU requires that you open and print one page of your target at a time. Each page prints fully. How large is your profiling target, and is it provided in a format to allow printing of one readable sheet at a time?

I Purchased an i1Photo Pro 2 Color Management Kit as an upgrade to the Munki along with the new printer. After installing the i1, the printer took over 3 hours to produce the print I mentioned. My concern was a printer malfunction as it's brand new. Canon tech advised to remove the i1, correct the permissions and re-install print drivers. Doing so fixed the printer issue, but removed the i1. (I can see no correlation between print driver and i1 either) I tried to print an 800 patch test target from the i1 through ACPU, however only half the target printed, then the printer went into slow motion taking some 30 minutes to print the other half a page. Page size was A4.

You say the ColorMunki and i1 have all failed? Failed at doing what? What exactly is the problem?

The profiles from the ColorMunki are way off, possibly due to my ignorance, or the fact that I can't find a way to bypass colour management. Whatever the case, the profiles created are useless.

Is the i1 you talk about the i1 spectrophotometer, or i1 Profiler software?

Profiler software, however I can't get it to run without the printer failing. The i1 has since been returned, and am left with 2 ColorMunki's. A loan unit to determine if the one I own is damaged, but both produce the same results. The targets print ok, and the printer is working again, but as stated, the profiles are useless.

I don't think there is any way an i1 can corrupt a printer driver. The two have nothing to do with each other. What makes you think this?

Comments from Canon, also several hours of on site assistance from the AU Xrite distributor, who is also confused by the situation.

When you say profiling appears nearly impossible at the moment, in what ways is this the case? Only because your targets aren't printing, or are there other issues here?

The consensus of opinion (all be it possibly incorrect) from various professionals is that the issue is no one can find a way to truly bypass color management. Save target as tiff, can't get past print driver without CM. ACPU as stated failed. ColourMunki does an override at the driver and greys out options, however the profiles are as stated useless so something seems to be going on behind the scenes.

Sorry to be asking all these questions, but without crystal clarity regarding the issues it's hard to understand what's going on and make useful suggestions if I could.

Thanks for your questions, and my apologies for not being clear enough initially. Cheers.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Thanks for providing all those clarifications. It's unfortunate that you returned the i1Profiler kit because in principle it is far more capable than ColorMunki and I still can't conjure any reason why it should mess with the printer driver - or if somehow it does, nothing that tech support between XRite and Canon shouldn't be able to rectify, even if they need to reference their HQ support groups in Japan and the USA to resolve it. If you still had the i1Profiler kit I was going to suggest printing the target through it rather than the ACPU to see whether that solves the problem.  Like you, I suspect that bypassing colour management may be part of the story, but there was a time - not too long ago - when I thought all that was licked. Anyhow, your post comes at a fortuitous time in terms of some research I'm doing that involves further profiling work with the new Canon printer line, so leave this one with me for a few days and I shall get back to you.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl

Did you try Canon Print Studio Pro plug in?

Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

Marcin, that option is not provided in the Mac version - at least the one I have. Canon has advised that when printing from an image editing application on OSX, Printer Colour Management is automatically disabled. Is your screen grab from a Windows or OSX installation?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl

Marcin, that option is not provided in the Mac version - at least the one I have. Canon has advised that when printing from an image editing application on OSX, Printer Colour Management is automatically disabled. Is your screen grab from a Windows or OSX installation?

No, it's the OSX - Canon Print Studio Pro 2.1.0

Mark D Segal

• Contributor

OK, version screw-up. It wasn't an option using version 1.0 in Lightroom. It is an option using version 2.1 in Photoshop. Regardless, all that does is turn off printer colour management in the printer driver. AFAIK, it does not deal with OS colour management in a way that allows accurate printing of profiling targets. Does your experience using it differ?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl

OK, version screw-up. It wasn't an option using version 1.0 in Lightroom. It is an option using version 2.1 in Photoshop. Regardless, all that does is turn off printer colour management in the printer driver. AFAIK, it does not deal with OS colour management in a way that allows accurate printing of profiling targets. Does your experience using it differ?

AFAIK anything that turns color management in printer driver and sends unchanged RGB numbers of the target to the printer should work, unless application developers screw something or Apple screw something in OSX to the point that's beyond my imagination (which is quite common lately ;) )
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up