Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Color Test Patches for a Custom Profile  (Read 8677 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing Color Test Patches for a Custom Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:57 pm »

Take a look at the images of the charts in my original post.  Lower right hand corner identified it as an XRite product.  I'd call that "branded"

Yes so would I, and the whole discussion about licensing is completely irrelevant to the OP's concern. Let's take this back to the technical issue raised. It is correct that there is no reason why the colour perception of a printer profiling target on a monitor needs to be close to the colour perception of the print of the target. Let us always bear in mind that the target, if printed properly, reflects the native behaviour of the printer, which the resulting profile will describe numerically and help in the colour management process to reproduce the image file numbers correctly. So in principle there is no reason to worry about the fact that it looks dark. But I do see some cause for concern about the unevenness of the luminance between the left side and the rest. Is this because of how the target print was reproduced into a JPEG for posting here, or is that what it really looks like? This particular matter IS unusual and unexpected.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 10:34:29 pm »

Yes so would I, and the whole discussion about licensing is completely irrelevant to the OP's concern. Let's take this back to the technical issue raised. It is correct that there is no reason why the colour perception of a printer profiling target on a monitor needs to be close to the colour perception of the print of the target.
That IS correct. Now both pages should appear similar in density.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:30:54 am »

Did try through http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=244?
No, that wasn't available when I tried and I never received that communication from X-Rite about the option either.

Rhossydd

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 01:32:58 am »

Take a look at the images of the charts in my original post.  Lower right hand corner identified it as an XRite product.  I'd call that "branded"
The point is whose brand ? You weren't sent those charts from X-Rite were you ? All the charts built and supplied by my business are branded with colourprofiles.com

Rhossydd

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 01:37:45 am »

But I do see some cause for concern about the unevenness of the luminance between the left side and the rest.
I don't see that. The black reference lines surrounding the chart show no variations along their length.
No obvious cause for concern there.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:32 am »

I don't see that. The black reference lines surrounding the chart show no variations along their length.
No obvious cause for concern there.

Well I do, and while it may not be so visible from the black reference lines, it is pretty obvious to me looking at the content of the patch set. But maybe we have different ways of seeing. Anyhow, not something you or I can take any further. Best for the OP to do as I suggested earlier up, which is to send his targets with some commentary to the profiling service, let them advise whether they can work with these, if so get the results and see how well the new profile works.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 11:01:33 am »

Well I do, and while it may not be so visible from the black reference lines, it is pretty obvious to me looking at the content of the patch set. But maybe we have different ways of seeing. Anyhow, not something you or I can take any further. Best for the OP to do as I suggested earlier up, which is to send his targets with some commentary to the profiling service, let them advise whether they can work with these, if so get the results and see how well the new profile works.

I agree. Once the OP has the profile it can be tested.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »

I will only weigh in regarding the OP's question.  I've done a lot of profiling over the years, both for myself (Epson 3880) and others who have had a variety of printers.  I've never seen a profile patch set as dark as that shown by the OP.  I use a patch set generated by ArgyllCMS and it gives very nice profiles as judged by both the gamut volume and visual inspection using standard reference prints.  Quite frankly most of the patch sets I've seen more resemble the PS printed image.  I've printed out patch sets with both the ACPU and Photoshop CS4 (the last version that allowed one to print unmanaged patch sets).  I'm on Windows so I cannot make any comment about MacOS issues.  Something just doesn't look right to me.

EDIT Added:  I would note that of course one would expect to see some deviation from what appears on a calibrated monitor.  It has been my experience that the deviation at least for my 3880 is no where near that the OP sees.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 02:31:34 pm by Alan Goldhammer »

BradSmith

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »

Alan,
Thanks for your input on my original question based on your experience.  We'll see what happens.  I've printed both pages of patches with ACPU (1000 patches) and have sent them off to have the profile made.  I'll update when I have the profile.
Brad

BradSmith

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 03:30:39 pm »

Profile Update:
I received the custom profile and it is fine.  Problem solved.  As several people noted here, the dark patch prints were, apparently, as they should have been for my specific printer, able to produce a good profile.

Thank you all for weighing in with your experiences.
Brad

WolfgangExler

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2016, 09:23:58 am »

Brad,

I can offer you to create a second profile, just to verify of for other papers. But you have to send the printed charts to Germany as I'm a german resident.

you don't have to pay for this offer except for target shipping

Wolfgang

BradSmith

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2016, 01:59:58 pm »

Wolfgang,
I've now printed several different images with the custom profile I purchased and it is excellent.  So I don't think I'll need a second, "confirming" profile.

None the less, thank you very much for your very generous offer.  Offers like yours are a fantastic example of why Lula is such a wonderful place.

Brad Smith
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up