Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael/Henry interview, thanks, and a question about spraying prints.  (Read 1274 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography

Watched the interview with Michael and Henry Wilhelm. Thanks for re-posting these on the front page. I missed them. Lots of good info. Useful info.

Was surprised to hear that Michael doesn't spray his prints. It seems every place i've read about printing, review sites and forums, people suggest protective sprays.

I'm about to set up an epson p600. I will be printing small at home. Send out, when needed, for larger prints. My last printer, long since dead, was an epson 1270. I'm ready to be wowed by progress...

A few days ago saw some b&w and color prints on Canson bfk rives-matte paper 310gsm. Was thinking to try this for both my color work and b&w work.

They, Canson, also have some nice semi gloss papers that might work too. Saw b&w and color images on Platine Fibre Rag and also Baryta Photographique.

Would printing on these papers (matte or semi-gloss) and 'not' spraying them with anything afterward be ok. I mean what's the risk?

I kind of feel like Michael was expressing. His not wanting to inhale the nasty stuff. And why spray if not needed?

thanks
M
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:45:58 am by Morris Taub »

John Nollendorfs

Morris:
You don't need to spray, if the print will be framed behind glass. The reason for spraying prints, is to seal the microporous ink receiver layer, to prevent atmospheric contaminants from degrading the inks. One of the worst is Ozone, a powerful oxidant.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography

Morris:
You don't need to spray, if the print will be framed behind glass. The reason for spraying prints, is to seal the microporous ink receiver layer, to prevent atmospheric contaminants from degrading the inks. One of the worst is Ozone, a powerful oxidant.

Not really sure how much would be framed and put under glass. Might store some in my flat files. I mean I'm sure to hang a handful of small prints, but the majority would be in storage if not sold. Taken out to show potential clients.

After watching the videos on the new legacy papers from epson and printing with the p800 I need to check out the poly bags and glassine envelopes or sleeves that Jeff, Kevin, and Dan mention. In the film days I used to use things like this. Just not sure how it applies to ink jet prints. Some research needed. But I guess if these guys are using these products they work.

Thank you John.
M

Robcat

I'd suggest spraying if they're not going under glass in reasonably short order. I'm not sure how much atmospheric contaminants you'd get in a closed portfolio or wherever you keep them, but why chance it. Coatings will also protect the surface a little while they are being handled. I use Canson Baryta, which is not as delicate as my favorite Harman by Hahnemuhle, but I like the protection. Premier Print Shield in a couple light coats does not adversely impact the surface texture and sheen of those two papers---it will if you apply enough. If I'm going to display without glass, I use Clear Jet fine art gloss, which does make it more glossy, but that's what I want. As always, experiment with your particular papers to see whether you like the results.
Pages: [1]   Go Up