Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick advice: Stretching large canvasses  (Read 1718 times)

disneytoy

Quick advice: Stretching large canvasses
« on: May 23, 2016, 04:34:17 pm »

Hi!

I have stretched canvas before. Up to 30*40".  I have a client who wants 40*80". I have a 9890 and Epson Exhibition canvas matte.  I will probably print the sides black or dark grey.

While eorking with such a large piece of canvas, any tips on not damaging the surface?

At some point I will need to lay it face down, what is safe to place it on?

Any other tips for a single person doing this?

Thanks

Maxi

John Nollendorfs

Re: Quick advice: Stretching large canvasses
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:02 pm »

On a canvas that big, my first advise would be to print it with photo image wrapped around the edges (using intelligent fill). Makes it much less critical getting perfect alignment around the edges.

Laying image down on face is not a problem, as long as you don't twist the canvas on the flat work surface, but lift it before turning it. Careful with corners, of course.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »

We do a fair amount of large canvases and have pretty much stopped gallery wrapping over 36x48.
Our strainer bars do not have the keys in them so are not adjustable.
In Pa. the humidity swings are quite severe and we really get sloppy canvas in the winter with larger sizes 24x36 and up.
75% or more of our canvas is mounted to Gatorboard or Dibond then framed.
No problems with canvas mounted with Miracle Muck.

I have a 5'X10' workbench I can lay blankets down and flip the piece over to work on the back.
If you don't have that get several saw horses and a sheet of plywood. Cover with blankets and your good to go.

disneytoy

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:47:48 pm »

Good info! I actually have the company that makes miracle muck in my town. Crazy, they wouldn't let me do a pickup, only mail order for $25 s&h. Ill check back with them.

With miracle muck, no issues with lumpy surface? Like looking from an acute angle? These are practically monochromatic sea/sky scapes and I think anything but a flat surface would be noticeably.

Thanks!!!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:09:25 pm »

The largest stretch I have done was 38 x 96, and I would not really want to do that again.  Most stretcher bar comes in max 9 foot length, so going past 96" is hard to do.  I do 36 x 72 on a pretty regular basis. 

I use a dinning room table, with a piece of 4 x 8 blue foam (housing insulation) in the 1 inch thickness.  On top of that I use cardboard of regular thickness.  Then I cover everything with waxed brown paper.  The waxed coating makes sure that the coated canvas will not stick to anything.  But with Timeless that really is not that big an issue, as it is pretty hard to scratch a good coating.

My bar is the Larson brand, part 6011, all that I use.  This bar comes with internal bracing strips sold under a different part number.  This bar has a 1 1/2 height and again that all I use now. 

Pliers are still the Breathing color stretch relief, still love them and use them daily.  IMO the best solution I have found (besides a machine which I can't justify)

Canvas, is either Lyve or Crystalline both coated with Timeless (sprayed on not rolled). 

I also have a pretty humid environment, but so far no real issues with slackness over time, you can get a drum tight stretch with the pliers I use.  And so far, the Breathing color canvas has not pulled, or torn during stretching.

To Dan's point on gator for the larger stuff, I agree the workflow is a bit easier, but you still have to coat (at least I do) as during the glue down it's just too easy to get water or glue on the face and thus pull off the ink.  Breathing Color canvas (for that matter any inkjet canvas I have used) is not very forgiving to any moisture on the face and the ink lifts off very easily.  If you are going much past 30 x 40, I would consider 1/2" gator over 3/8" as the former is much less prone to warping and is much sturdier when being framed.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 12:53:05 pm »

Yes Paul spraying is a must! (Or rolling)
I always spray all my canvas a full day after printing and before any mounting.

William Chitham

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:32:50 am »

Make sure that you have the paper advance well calibrated, long prints will really exaggerate errors, or, if the finished size is not super critical, make the stretcher to fit after you've made the print.

William.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 11:13:39 pm »

Every Epson I have used, from the 7800 to the 9900 all skew on canvas, some worse than others.  My 9880's were terrible on longer prints, and I finally gave up on the mirrored edges for wraps as the skew always throws off the alignment.

The 9900 is a bit better, and I can usually get a good print without a lot of skew, but as you point out, the running length error for canvas/Epson always means, cut the stretcher after the print is made and coated.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up