Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filmstrip View in Develop Module?  (Read 24188 times)

dwswager

Re: Filmstrip View in Develop Module?
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2016, 08:41:44 am »

All I would take from Bridge is the ability to catalogue all types of assets, and a couple of obscure details from the rename panel (string substitution and changing the extension case).

I would add the entire Filter panel from Bridge to allow slicing and dicing your collection in any way with a few simple clicks of the mouse, Reconfigurable and saveable workspaces, ability to fully view and develop assets directly and not included in a catalog, Bridge's copy all settings and choose what to paste as opposed to recopy every time, Bridge's intelligent understanding of previous settings being the previous changed settings and not just the last viewed file...

Generally, when you have to go through a kabuki dance to do something with an application, especially something routine/obvious, then there is a fix to be made.

Ignorance, and the historical perspective of Bridge/ACR vs Lr RAW image workflow options can be a two-way street. While they both have their issues as well as their distractions and shortcomings ... evaluation of these options and assessing one is superior over the other is purely subjective opinion and not empirical fact.

My point all along is not that Bridge/ACR is better than Lr, but that Lr is not as good as it could be.  I was hoping to dump Bridge/ACR when I picked up Lr and I have found it not advantageous to do so.  There is nothing inherently impossible about improving Lr making that possible.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2016, 03:39:40 am »

I would add the entire Filter panel from Bridge to allow slicing and dicing your collection in any way with a few simple clicks of the mouse

You should look closer at the Library Filter as it has that drill down capability. Ctrl F in Library, then click Metadata. You can add extra columns, make more than one instance of the same column (esp keywords), save the filter as a preset, "lock" it so it stays applied as you move from folder to collection etc.

The only reason you're doing a kabuki dance is because you're pretending Lightroom is Bridge. Within its narrower focus, Lightroom does a wider range of things. In part, it exists because of Bridge's failings for photographers.

rdonson

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2016, 07:43:51 am »

Well said, John.

At its heart Bridge is a file browser.

At its heart Lightroom is a content management system.
Regards,
Ron

dwswager

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2016, 08:04:43 am »

You should look closer at the Library Filter as it has that drill down capability. Ctrl F in Library, then click Metadata. You can add extra columns, make more than one instance of the same column (esp keywords), save the filter as a preset, "lock" it so it stays applied as you move from folder to collection etc.

The only reason you're doing a kabuki dance is because you're pretending Lightroom is Bridge. Within its narrower focus, Lightroom does a wider range of things. In part, it exists because of Bridge's failings for photographers.

I'll take a look at that and see.  I don't do super complex searches and filtering.  Just stuff like all the images that are .NEF from the D810 with label YELLOW and are not cropped and don't have custom settings.  So five clicks and I got em!

rdonson

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2016, 03:39:05 pm »

If that's something you do often save that as a PRESET and the next time it will be one click!
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2016, 01:41:49 am »

Here's another thing I would steal from Bridge (and most 21st century software) is being able to rename folders and collections without opening a Rename dialog box. So that makes about 4 things.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up