Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framed images for sale - too big, too small - just right?  (Read 1336 times)

deliberate1

Framed images for sale - too big, too small - just right?
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:43 am »

Friends, I have just begun to show my work at a gallery and am facing the dilemma of sizing images for sale.
Printing on the larger end (>24" wide) poses no technical limits as most are shot with a MF camera, both digital and film, on a tripod. I have been printing very successfully with an Epson 7800 for nearly a decade and have a very good handle on print quality.
Rather, my question goes more to the size limits that may face a potential client. Simply put, I like printing as large as the image will legitimately tolerate, and within the bounds of good taste for a particular image, of course. But those 24" x 24" images from the Rollei, or even bigger from the Leica S, may scare away potential buyers whose wall space could not accommodate a "plus size" image.
For those of you who sell you work from web sites, or galleries, and offer custom sizes, what is the size range (framed) that seems to be the most popular among your customers.
Much obliged,
David

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Framed images for sale - too big, too small - just right?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 09:25:12 am »

My bestseller at art fairs is a framed 36" x 46". I also sell 30" x 30" as well as 20" x 60".

BillK

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:21:25 am »

You should offer a variety of sizes. People have all different sized spaces to fill.
24"x24" is actually kind of on the medium/smaller side. The sweet spot is something that comfortably fills the place above the average
couch, or bed. Usually something in the 30x45 area. One of my best sellers is a triptych that is 36x74. However I offer sizes all the
way down to 11x14. I would make up a nice looking placard or price card that lists other sizes available, and place it next to the print on the wall.
Wouldn't hurt to have at least one example of each size there (not of the same print), as numbers don't seem to be enough for some folks to visualize it.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:23:09 am »

It might depend where you are, due to regional cultural differences in wall-space. Keith Cooper noted that 13x19 was the most popular size in the UK.

stcstc31

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:14 am »

i would think the reason for 13*19 is thats A3+ size

its not an out of camera (for most people size)

as a picture framer, i would say by far the most popular frame size is 20*16 with prints from 12 to 14" long in them
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

deliberate1

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 10:44:38 am »

I would make up a nice looking placard or price card that lists other sizes available, and place it next to the print on the wall.
Wouldn't hurt to have at least one example of each size there (not of the same print), as numbers don't seem to be enough for some folks to visualize it.

Excellent idea!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:55:43 am »

don't we have it much easier than Ansel Adams?  He was limited by the availability of cut paper size and the equipment of the day.  We're able to create panos that Adams could never even consider (of course most of us pale in terms of photograpic excellence  ;D)

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 11:15:22 am »

Some clients think 16x24" is too big and others think 44x66" is too small. 24x36" is my best selling size, but it varies a lot from client to client. If you decide to let them choose the size don't give them too many options, 3 sizes is more than enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up