Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand-Written Notes?  (Read 7032 times)

mbaginy

Hand-Written Notes?
« on: May 23, 2016, 08:05:34 am »

When taking photos with my Canon 65mm MPE (macro) lens, I like to take note of the magnification (between 1:1 and 5:1).  Similarly, I like to note when I use a polarizing or split neutral density filter.  My current method is to take notes with pen & paper (and often losing track).

Does anyone know of a better technique than my primitive scribbling on paper?

Colorado David

Re: Hand-Written Notes?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:02:34 am »

Dictate them into your iPhone using the voice to text converter.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:38:15 am »

Some of the Canon cameras allow you to attach audio notes using the built in mic to an image.  Lightroom can deal with this and play it back for you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:43:24 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »

When taking photos with my Canon 65mm MPE (macro) lens, I like to take note of the magnification (between 1:1 and 5:1).  Similarly, I like to note when I use a polarizing or split neutral density filter.  My current method is to take notes with pen & paper (and often losing track).

Does anyone know of a better technique than my primitive scribbling on paper?

still sribble on paper, but then take a shot of that note... so you will have raw/jpg of the note pre/post actual shot(s) - so if you are consistent you will have the track

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »

David, Ron, Alter, I'll try your suggestions for the next few outings in the field.  I usually try to leave my cell phone at home or in the car but will need to get used to carrying it along (it will feel like a work day).  I've never used video or tried recording audio notes with my 5D Mk III but I'll dig out the instruction manual and actually READ through it.  Taking a shot of the note pad seems so obvious!  Why didn't I think of that?  Thanks, guys.

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:13:17 am »

I use Onenote. Dictate a short sequence. It's stored and an audio file and converted to text. Onenote makes it pretty easy to organize things and easy to do a search across all your notes. Automatically ported to my desktop notes.

I was a late adopter and only started using it a few years ago. Couldn't live without it.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:19:07 am »

I use Onenote. Dictate a short sequence. ...

Doug, OneNote is PC only, right?  I have it on my office computer (never used it though) but at home I'm strictly a Mac fellow.  But your suggestion is interesting - I'll make a note of it (no pun intended).

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:04:46 am »

Hand written notes are always a good thing especially for the configuration of your shoot (like a story board). Yes it is laborious sometimes but you can attach the note behind your print when you store it. There is numerous methodology but the best one is to not include electronics devices in it. Some use a pocket book but imho it is better to attach the note behind the print and keep a clear organisation of the prints (it is also easier to an external person to wander trough your work if necessary).

You can also build a redundancy by imputing this note in the exifs or the digital file.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:54:52 am »

Hulyss, thanks for your advice.  I'll probably add comments to the exif data such as magnification factor, whether or not I used a polarizer or ND filter, etc.  And These notes, I'll either dictate to my cell phone or continue to use a note pad.

I hope to gleen from this, information which might aid in future analysis of what worked & what didn't.  I do enjoy printing but I don't (yet?) figure on attaching notes - I'll keep my notes digital, at least for now.  But maybe I'm over-thinking it all.

David S

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 07:53:35 am »

Hand written notes are always a good thing especially for the configuration of your shoot (like a story board). Yes it is laborious sometimes but you can attach the note behind your print when you store it. There is numerous methodology but the best one is to not include electronics devices in it. Some use a pocket book but imho it is better to attach the note behind the print and keep a clear organisation of the prints (it is also easier to an external person to wander trough your work if necessary).

You can also build a redundancy by imputing this note in the exifs or the digital file.

The is a Mac version.

Dave

Colorado David

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 01:00:29 pm »

still sribble on paper, but then take a shot of that note... so you will have raw/jpg of the note pre/post actual shot(s) - so if you are consistent you will have the track

I should have thought of this. When I photograph people working for a client of mine, I always take a tight shot of their badge so I can identify them.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »

I often shoot a photo of useful information when covering an assignment -- the event program, or the list of speakers, or someone's name badge (held up in front of their face). It's nice to have that info right there when editing.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Doug Gray

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 07:41:46 pm »

Doug, OneNote is PC only, right?  I have it on my office computer (never used it though) but at home I'm strictly a Mac fellow.  But your suggestion is interesting - I'll make a note of it (no pun intended).

Onenote is available for Android, Apple, and Windows phones(built in on Windows stuff, part of Office for others) and computers. Anything you do on one shows up on the others. I find it incredibly useful. I use it on a Surface Book (tablet mode) and you can just sketch or write script like on a paper notebook.

mbaginy

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 12:42:41 am »

I'll have to take a closer look at my Microsoft Office package (still using 2013, don't want to upgrade to a subscription model) on my Mac.  Thanks for your suggestion!

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 11:04:47 am »

OneNote for Mac is available from the app store.  It is FREE.  All you need is a FREE MS account.  It's also available on the iPhone/iPad app store.
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 03:03:27 am »

Thanks for the heads-up, Ron!
Pages: [1]   Go Up