Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Isle of Skye  (Read 5413 times)

philaitman

The Isle of Skye
« on: May 23, 2016, 05:49:01 am »

Hi,
First of all, I know this has been asked many time before and I could do a search, however, I'm trying to visit Skye without looking at other people's photographs of the island. I want to go with my own idea and most importantly feelings about what I see  and not be overly influenced by others.

What I would ask you, is if you could spare the time, could you just put the name of a location (Or directions/lat/long kind of thing) if you have them.
I already have a bit of a list but I'm trying to finalise where I'll visit while we stay.
I'll then add the locations to my OS paper maps. I would use Google earth but it keeps bringing up photos of the locations :)

Yes I have lots of midge repellant and protective net.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:45:28 am by philaitman »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: The Isle of Skye
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:15:33 am »

The Quirang, the Old Man of Storr, if you're a competent mountaineer, pretty much anywhere in the Red or Black Cuillin, and Loch Coriusk is really nice. Glenbrittle is nice too, though lacking the grandeur of Coriusk's mountainous surrounds. The Fairy Pools is a popular photographic subject, and rightly so, as is Elgol, a small fishing village, with some of the best views of the Cuillin.

Hope that helps, and have fun.

Edit: dyslexic typos
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:45:08 pm by Chairman Bill »

mlewis

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:54 pm »

There are nice views from Oronsay - 57°20'3" N 6°28'11" W - but it is only accessible at low tide.  Neist Point - 57°25'32" N 6°46'56" W - is a popular location with its lighthouse and cliffs.

Co-ordinates in the WGS84 datum.

philaitman

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:50:27 pm »

Thank you both, my list has been updated 😎

JMCP

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:50:59 am »

If you do visit Oronsay, make sure you take a walk along the left hand side (LHS of causeway when walking across to the island, can't remember if it is east, west, north, south lol ) of the island as there are some stunning natural tunnels and coves to see for such a small island.

Cheers, John

philaitman

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:15:54 am »

If you do visit Oronsay, make sure you take a walk along the left hand side (LHS of causeway when walking across to the island, can't remember if it is east, west, north, south lol ) of the island as there are some stunning natural tunnels and coves to see for such a small island.

Cheers, John

Thanks John, I'll bear that in mind when I'm there :)

KMRennie

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:12 am »

Sligachan. Both the common shot looking at the old bridge but also by walking down the North bank of the river, through the campsite and then a couple of hundred metres brings you to still pools which reflect the Cuillin on a calm morning or evening. Prime midge conditions however. Good luck with the weather. Ken

philaitman

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 09:20:04 am »

Sligachan. Both the common shot looking at the old bridge but also by walking down the North bank of the river, through the campsite and then a couple of hundred metres brings you to still pools which reflect the Cuillin on a calm morning or evening. Prime midge conditions however. Good luck with the weather. Ken

Thank you Ken for the Timely addition. I had missed Sligachan and given it's John Muir trust land and I'm staying just a few miles south east from there on the edge of the headland facing Rassay and Scalpay it's a perfect location. Yes prime Midge territory but all you can do is go prepared.
Thanks again.

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 10:42:47 pm »

I've always dreamed of visiting the Sligachan Inn (now Hotel), the old haunt of one of my mountaineering heroes, Norman J. Collie.

Kathy

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »

Hi
I agree with all the suggestions already provided. A few more to consider are:
For an interesting evening shot try Rubha Hunish, the most northerly place in Skye.
Talisker Bay
Loch Langaig for sunrise views of the Quiraing
Bride Veil Falls

Have a great trip.

philaitman

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »

Thank you all,
I've only just returned home today. The good, Well Skye itself, such an amazing place. The bad, the last month has had little rain and very high temperatures (certainly by Skye standards) waterfalls and rivers were mere trickles, low and dry in places (not even a trickle over Talisker bay fall) Glen Brittle also extremely low waters. Lots of solid blue skies does not (for me) an interesting photograph make.
Still it was a stunning Holiday and photography was the secondary reason for visiting.

I think I've managed to pull some interesting shots out of the trip. Most enjoyable was photographing tiny landscapes in a 6meter patch of tidal rocky coast in front of our Croft Cottage for an hour before breakfast each day. Such colours and life in a small space. Not the usual views of Skye 😀

algrove

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:19:00 pm »

What about the nasty bugs you mentioned? Worst and best time of year? TIA

philaitman

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:31 am »

Between Early June and Early September are worst midge times. outside of that it's mainly the weather which will be your foe.

tylerallenmohr

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 06:22:33 pm »

I'm headed to Skye next week. Thank you everybody for the advice. Hoping I can get photos (almost) as good as so many of the ones I've been seeing from all the lucky travelers before me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up