Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moon Mars Jupiter  (Read 5055 times)

BobDavid

Moon Mars Jupiter
« on: May 23, 2016, 01:37:32 am »

I experimented with the Oly 300mm + T1.4 and the 2X digital setting on the E-M5 II.  All bodies are to scale. The photos are composites--the subjects were too many degrees apart for a single shot. I was surprised to see two bands across Jupiter. With a modest telescope, the bands appear as light pink.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Moon Mars Jupiter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 01:46:02 am »

And three of Jupiter's moons. Nicely done.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 02:16:58 am »

I was surprised the camera picked up the bands in Jupiter. I can see why people get into astronomy. I've always wanted an 8" reflector with tracking. But alas, the last thing I need is another hobby--and an expensive one at that. And being on the west coast of Florida doesn't help--too much humidity and light pollution.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:24:03 am »

Very cool!  I haven't tried the planets with the Olympus yet.  I've used the 40-150 with an astrotrac and had loads of fun on galaxies.  The 300mm seems like the perfect portable setup.  Focusing is so easy on these cameras.  I have a 14" tracking dob that I would love to try the planets with the E-M1. 

If you check out the Cloudynights.com forum...there are some people doing amazing astrophorography with even the e-pl5. 

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:28:52 am »

Very cool!  I haven't tried the planets with the Olympus yet.  I've used the 40-150 with an astrotrac and had loads of fun on galaxies.  The 300mm seems like the perfect portable setup.  Focusing is so easy on these cameras.  I have a 14" tracking dob that I would love to try the planets with the E-M1. 

If you check out the Cloudynights.com forum...there are some people doing amazing astrophorography with even the e-pl5.

I love my EPL-5, especially with the VF-4.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:57:28 pm »

Nice!

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:01:04 pm »

Well done, Bob !!!!
Regards,
Ron

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »

Nicely done!
-MattB

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 03:59:25 pm »

Neato. One thing I enjoy is focusing on the Moon with a long lens, 300mm & up, then magnifying the rear LCD (14x on Oly cams) and watching the terrain whiz by. I've had good detailed views of Jupiter & Saturn too via this method.

-Dave-

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »

Neato. One thing I enjoy is focusing on the Moon with a long lens, 300mm & up, then magnifying the rear LCD (14x on Oly cams) and watching the terrain whiz by. I've had good detailed views of Jupiter & Saturn too via this method.

-Dave-

I've been pleasantly surprised with this setup. I wonder if I'd have gotten better resolution without using the digital 2X setting. I didn't want to stick around and and get some shots with the 2X disabled as the mosquitoes were beginning to feast on me.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 08:10:11 pm »

beautiful combo!

well done!

PK

by coincident i also made a photo of jupiter just some weeks ago... but no moon and ... no jupiter moons- what puzzles me...
( it was d810+ 300mm PF + 2x converter)

I just read that Mars is relatively nearby now... I made about a 1 pixel photo some years ago ( 6mp era) maybe now 3 pixels is possible :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:15:00 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BradSmith

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:09 pm »

It is absolutely amazing to me that cameras and lenses that we have for general enthusiast/pro use could pick up moons around another planet.  I wouldn't have thought this possible without a telescope.  Wow!!

NancyP

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:23 am »

Actually, the best affordable planet-study telescopes are refractors in the 500 to 800mm range: 3 element apo refractors made for correction at infinity only. Construction of camera lenses is more complicated because the corrections have to work over the full focusing range, not just infinity. Moon and planet study are good subtopics for urbanites with light levels too high to see anything else.

BobDavid

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:05 am »

beautiful combo!

well done!

PK

by coincident i also made a photo of jupiter just some weeks ago... but no moon and ... no jupiter moons- what puzzles me...
( it was d810+ 300mm PF + 2x converter)

I just read that Mars is relatively nearby now... I made about a 1 pixel photo some years ago ( 6mp era) maybe now 3 pixels is possible :)

I am impressed with the color and the detail of your photo. I'm surprised you didn't catch any moons. ... Mars was incredibly bright last night. It was visibly bright in the pre twilight sky. I've not had much success photographing Mars. ... I am afraid I may be tempted to purchase a tracker to take astro photography to the next level.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:05 pm »

I am afraid I may be tempted to purchase a tracker to take astro photography to the next level.

Slippery slope!  Slippery slope!  Warning!!!  ;D

Odd side tangent...Some pentax cameras have an astro mode where the sensor shifts to compensate for the earth rotation similar to how a tracker works.  Never tried it. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 08:54:42 pm »

I have a couple of scopes but for the DYI inclined I offer these...

http://makezine.com/2015/09/11/star-trackers-for-night-sky-photos/

More are available if you search....
Craig Lamson Photo

BobDavid

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »

I have a couple of scopes but for the DYI inclined I offer these...

http://makezine.com/2015/09/11/star-trackers-for-night-sky-photos/

More are available if you search....

Very inspiring. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a shop. I'd be interested in purchasing something already built. I imagine the longer the lens, the trickier it gets.

Paul Roark

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 03:13:29 pm »

Have any of you tried the astro photo cover glass conversion from Kolorivision?  See http://kolarivision.com/astrophotography-h-alpha-and-sulfur-ii-conversion/

BTW, my March Sony a7rii + Leica 135mm moon + Jupiter (with moons) shot is still on my web page.  In actual prints, it's very hard to see those little moons.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up