Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm not getting the Edit in Photoshop dialog box  (Read 2324 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
I'm not getting the Edit in Photoshop dialog box
« on: May 22, 2016, 03:44:30 pm »

Suddenly I no longer get the dialog box that asks if I want to open the original or open with Lightroom adjustments when opening a file from Lightroom using Edit in photoshop.  I've tried various things (reset all warning dialogs, uninstall/re-install Lightroom).  Doesn't matter what image I try to open.  This happened sometime earlier today while working on some images.  I'm frantically searching the web without much success, a few suggestions none of which worked.

This also seems to be only on my main catalog, I tried another catalog and everything was normal.

Hoping someone here has run into this before and has a solution. (Probably something simple, but I can't find any preference to set this or any other option I'm missing).

Simon Garrett

Re: I'm not getting the Edit in Photoshop dialog box
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:20:05 pm »

What type of image are you trying to edit in Photoshop?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:21:54 pm »

What type of image are you trying to edit in Photoshop?
I've tried at least 20 different images.  Raw files with LR adjustments, raw files without LR adjustments, Photoshop files with and without LR adjustments.  Dialog box is MIA no matter what image I'm trying to open, but just with this catalog.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:05:43 pm »

If I am not wrong, raw files open directly in PS, without a dialog box
and then, if you make any changes in PS,they are automatically saved
as tiff.But of course tiff  files need the dialogue box...
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »

Weird!  Obviously raw files don't normally get any dialog box (unless ACR versions in LR and PS don't match), but for tif, psd and jpeg then "Edit in photoshop" should get the dialog with "Edit a copy with...", "Edit a copy" and "Edit original" options. 

The only things I can think of would be to delete the LR preferences file (see https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-and-other-file-locations---lightroom-6.html for the location) - save a copy first - and if that doesn't work try uninstalling LR and reinstalling it.  Also perhaps check (in Edit -> Preferences -> External Editing) that there isn't some oddball edit preset for Photoshop. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 10:19:51 pm »

Deleted preferences and restored my lightroom settings folder from a backup a few days ago - seemed to fix it.  No clue what happened but back to normal.

picman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:30:28 am »

I haven't nailed it down yet, but recently, I've had apparent issues with Lr picking up preferences from my attached backup. Caused similar issues and when when going to Ps, would immediately write a tiff. Work around by unmounting the backup prior to opening Lr. MacPro tower with SuperDuper backups.

stingray

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:36:42 am »

I meant to reply earlier. Some thoughts.

1. Have you checked the settings in Preferences / External Editing.
2. Is there a problem with Photoshop rather than Lr.
3. Are you using network drives.
4. Are you using remote support software.
5. I am not familiar with Superduper, but is this creating a mirror image of the disk and causing confusion to some apps as a result.
Pages: [1]   Go Up