Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper options - less reflective FB  (Read 1186 times)

deliberate1

Paper options - less reflective FB
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:12:45 am »

I have been printing on matte papers for a couple years and appreciate the look - mostly Epson Fine Art. For a change of pace, I mounted an old roll of Harmon FB on the Epson 7800, squandered a bunch of ink in the transition and printed a few images that rekindled the allure of coated papers. I like the density of color, smooth finish and definition. But the gloss reflection is distracting. Is there a paper out there that has the qualities of FB with a less reflective surface. Or, does it even matter, because once under glass (other than Museum) even a "flatter" paper with look as glossy as FB?
Obliged,
David

Sbarroso

Re: Paper options - less reflective FB
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:05:09 pm »

Hi David,

Try Hahnemühle Baryta Satin (warm, no oba), Photo Rag pearl (no oba) or Fine Art Pearl (with oba).

They are less reflective than Baryta/Fiber paper, but still in the glossy side.

I cannot answer the question on framing and the glass, but probably there is no difference except the dmax. It will depend on both quality of the glass and illumination.

Santiago

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:33:39 pm »

Definitely take a look at Innova White Semi-Matte.  IFA42 or IFA29

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:20 pm »

You may also try the Luster papers, some with Baryta coating. Good examples are Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson Baryta Photographique, Epson Legacy Baryta, Epson Legacy Platine, Canson Platine Rag; Ilford Gold Fibre Gloss, Ilford Smooth Pearl. These are all luster-style papers that can reproduce very high dynamic range in a finish that is much less reflective compared with smooth gloss papers.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

deliberate1

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:52:10 pm »

Appreciate all the kind suggestions. An embarrassment of choices. I have just ordered the Hahnemuhle sample pack that has 7 different coated papers. A good place to start with a modest investment.
Cheers
David

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:54:44 pm »

Yes indeed - there are many fine papers out there. Keep tuned-in. We intend to be reviewing more papers on this site over the coming weeks and months. You may wish to check the history of paper reviews on LuLa, as there is already a fair bit of material that may be of interest to you. Ordering sample packs as you have done is also a fine way to start.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

deliberate1

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 07:48:29 pm »

Anyone using the Epson Pro SemiGloss? Very favorably priced and I have had good luck with the canned profiles on my 7800.
Again, many thanks for your replies.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up