Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael  (Read 4265 times)

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
Michael
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:05 am »

As everybody knows by now, Michael is not with us anymore. I started reading Lula many years ago and I learned  many things from him and his colleagues here. I was always appreciating  his very honest and sincere opinions of what he was testing no matter what. I didn't feel a bit if he is saying or writing something in favor of a vendor or brand. His articles were always very simple, practical and easy to understand. He gathered many of expert people to write  here in Lula to help photographers, amateurs or experts to learn something. He also manage this forum so everybody share his/her ideas with others to learn or to teach. I myself learn many things in this forum. Above all, founding and managing this site so many experts were invited here and gathered here to write articles, reviews and essays. I myself owe him a lot. Condolesent to his family, his friends and all members of Luminous-landscape...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:32:43 pm by alifatemi »

LKaven

Re: Michael
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:54:13 am »

Though I did not get to meet him personally, I was fortunate to get to know him here, and will miss him a great deal.  I respect him for the ambitious work he undertook in building and nurturing this community, and teaching generations of photographers.  He was always honest in his opinions, and he worked hard to make this community a good one.  His presence and his ongoing legacy will always be strong here for many years to come, and that is some comfort.  Rest In Peace, Michael.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 05:09:06 am »

I have never met Michael in person either but have been a member and reader since the beginning. I have always enjoyed being at LL, the forum but also the articles and thank Michael for that. He will be missed but not forgotten.

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:57:38 am »

People have a short path in life and can only be remembered  out of the importance of their creations... I guess Michael will  always be remembered. My sympathy to his family and to the rest of the members of this group.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 07:29:15 am »

The founder of this community, passionate about photography, and a really nice guy in person.

We were sitting outside some years ago, on Ile de la Cité, and he told me that he had had cancer and wouln't wish the treatment on his worst enemy. I guess it came back?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:23:41 pm »

I never met Michael, though spoke to him once every few years and the conversations were always level headed, intelligent, truthful and in the end enjoyable. 

We had discussions about constructing a fashion photography event in Paris, as Michael had the data base and platform, I had the people/resources in place and we were both excited about the possibilities.

Then life, business got in the way.   I have few regrets in my life, but not following through and working with him would have been fun.

It's strange to never personally met someone, though know them, like them and feel they are a part of my life.

My favorite trait of Michael's was he deeply loved his photography and never was overly enamored by his fans, or discouraged by his critics.

He had has priorities in place and will be missed by many, in many ways.

From Hamlet Act 1, Scene 2;

"He was a man. Take him for all in all.
I shall not look upon his like again."

James

« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:50:01 pm by bcooter »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:56 pm »

Michael was a good man and a good friend. I had the honor to work with him on a few occasions and he's even invited and hosted me at the place he had down in Mexico
Hope that his legacy carries on.
RIP Michael, you will be missed
Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:31:05 pm »

Hi,

I have been a member of LuLa since 2006, but I guess I was a frequent visitor before that. I was taking pictures since something like 1965, starting more seriously back in 1970.

For me, the LuLa experience was a most important one. It made me comfortable with landscape photography. LuLa was also a major inspiration in learning about the tools of the trade. The LuLa videos were really great stuff. I particularly enjoyed the interviews with Steve Kossack, Charlie Cramer, Bill Atkinson, Ctein and Ray Maxwell, just to name a few.

Not least, the tutorials with Michael and Jeff used to have a great entertainment value. I spent a week taking pictures in a small natural preserve called Tiveden in Sweden, back in 2008. Weather was awful, raining all the time, but we had a lot of good wine and spent a lot of great afternoons drinking wine and watching the "Reichmann & Schewe show".

A great thanks for the mysterious Mr. Sanderson, standing behind the camera…

I am very glad that LuLa is here to stay, it has been a great place for photographers to meet, and I hope will continue to do so.

I always considered Michael to be a great person and even sort of a distant friend, he will be missed, but I am very glad that his work and spirit is carried on.

Kind regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

gwhitf

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:01:50 pm »

So many of us met on Rob Galbraith forums, back when digital was being introduced on a serious basis. When that was dissolved, many moved here, to keep learning. We were all clueless at that point -- resolution, noise, printing, tethering, sharpening, calibration -- the full works. It was a whole new ballgame.

Michael was consistently level-headed and patient in these forums, as the debates got heated. I never met him, but I am indebted to him for holding the reins tight, and keeping the car between the yellow lines. I met many people here that I now consider close friends. I am thankful to Michael for that. He was like the GrandDaddy of all this digital mess, when we all needed answers. That is a valuable service to provide. And probably most of the time, it was a pretty thankless job. So kudos to him for sticking it out.

NickT

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 02:46:51 am »

Good to see gwhitf here. Yes Michael was a real pioneer when this stuff was new.

Domenico

• My 500px portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 07:29:09 am »

As a frequent Lula member and recently also a subscriber, I have read many of Michael articles, many of them have inspired me, I am very sorry and sad,
so sad that I didn't get words to continue writing this.

R.I.P. Michael.
Best Regards,   Domenico.

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 05:37:21 pm »

My deepest condolences and sincere sympathy to Michael's family. 

Michael's contributions to photography are valued and enjoyed greatly by many of us.
I enjoyed visiting this website for 10 years and benefited greatly. Thank you for making this possible.

Sincerely,
Michael

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 03:01:45 am »

I posted this in the main thread, but I think it belongs here too, since I spend most of my time here.

---

I too, have never met Michael. But the few times we have corresponded, he was nothing but a gentleman.

Many years ago, when I was first getting into digital photography, I looked all over the internet to educate myself. There were no "Blogs" run by sponsored evangelists writing thinly disguised advertorials back then. Only a handful of sites and LuLa was the best of them all. I was introduced to Michael's work, literary and photographic, back then and they have been educating me ever since, to this day.

Years later, when I wanted to explore medium format photography, it was the same situation. LuLa was arguably the best site with info on this topic and many of those articles were penned by Michael. I have spent coutless hours on this site and am astounded by the fact that no matter what obscure piece of equipment or techinque I search for, there is an article about it here.

Every one of us is born to die someday and the best we can hope for is that we leave a large enough mark in this world for people to remember us by, long after we're gone. LuLa is that mark for Michael, his legacy. And years from now, we will remember what a great person, autho, photographer and teacher he was through LuLa.

Godspeed, Michael Reichmann. Thank you for all you have done for this community.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:29 am »

Rest in Peace... Michael.

I had many knowledge from LULA. and He was very kind friends in Facebook.

I admire your personality and passion for photography.
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »

So sorry to hear about this. Michael was an amazing man and part of the reason why I now use medium format - this forum and his great videos / articles were all very inspiring. He also seemed like a real gentleman to me - a vanishing breed. Condolences to his family.
Pages: [1]   Go Up