Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape  (Read 87041 times)

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
Re: It's A Sad Day AT Luminous-Landscape
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2016, 01:27:17 pm »

I have started and stopped adding my thoughts to this thread over the past several days, because words seemed inadequate. They still do, but neither do I want to stay silent.

As so many others have recounted, I never met Michael in person, but I felt an affinity. He and his ideas and creations that contributed to this community have been a part of my personal development in photography (digital especially) almost since the beginning. I followed his articles and explorations, and those of many other guest authors who coalesced around the early Luminous Landscape site. I have the LL Video Journal DVD's from issue #1. I have followed the forums for years, though sometimes not as closely as at other times. I corresponded with Michael briefly on a particular topic, about which he responded promptly and generously. I just went back and re-read that exchange... 2007, can it be? Man, how time is flying by.

Photography has taken on a large and fulfilling role in my life, and Michael and Luminous Landscape were significant reference points along the way. I'm very pleased that his foresight and association with valued team members means that Luminous Landscape will continue. At the same time, it's sorrowful to consider us all being here without Michael. The best way I have come up with to wrap my head around it is that his almost boundless enthusiasm, generosity and creativity gave form to something that took on a good life of its own, and gave us the ability to share in it. Now we can continue to honour Michael's influence and memory going forward.

To Chris, Kevin, Nick, Jeff, Mark and others who knew him well, your colleague and friend was truly a one-of-a-kind. To Michael's family, those of us who knew him, or of him, through photography mourn his departure with you. The loss you're coping with is only as great as it is because of the presence of this man in your lives in the first place. Thanks for sharing Michael with us for all these years.

And to Michael Reichmann, I'll paraphrase your and Kevin's parting words -- I'll remember you on the luminous landscape.

RickU

« Reply #261 on: June 02, 2016, 02:51:20 pm »

Having not visited the Luminous Landscape for the last two weeks, my shock in finding out that Michael had passed away is slowly sinking in.  I've been a fan for many years and always kept updated on equipment and techniques through Michael's posts and reviews.  I never realized that He had slowly become family.  We never met, but like many here, but he was held in high regard through his words, wisdom, and opinions.  I will miss his sly wit and dedication to this photographic addiction that we all share with him.  RIP Michael, you live on in our hearts!  You won't be forgotten....

werner from aurora

« Reply #262 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:49 pm »

From the very first day I got my computer I stumbled across LL. There were times I did not agree with him, But I always respected his opinion. He had forgotten more than I will ever know. His opinions and passion have been a gift to my own photographic journey. Funny, how someone you have never met can play such an influential role in your life! I will miss his musings and opinions terribly.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #263 on: June 03, 2016, 07:50:45 am »

My greatest debt to Michael is he brought us all together.

I feel solace in that Lula is in good hands.

Ciao,
Dave

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #264 on: June 03, 2016, 08:42:34 am »

My greatest debt to Michael is he brought us all together.

I feel solace in that Lula is in good hands.

Ciao,
Dave

Very well said Dave!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #265 on: June 07, 2016, 08:15:02 pm »

RIP Michael. I learned a lot from you and always looked forward to your vids and articles :(

tsjanik

« Reply #266 on: June 10, 2016, 10:05:31 pm »

Indeed, a loss for us all.  My condolences to Michael's family and friends.  My experience here is similar to many members.  Luminous Landscape reignited a love in landscape photography in me.  I enjoyed Michael's photographs, but even more, his writing.  Always knowledgeable, often opinionated and always very readable.  I will miss his observations and wish the best to his successors.

Tom

martin archer-shee

« Reply #267 on: June 24, 2016, 07:35:01 pm »

Hi
i as many was on the outside edge have gained a lot from Michael. Several times over the years I made direct comments to him and got a  good/nice reply. Thank you Michael for your TRUE INTEREST and advancing the love of photography. I would have loved to take part in some of the great trips but unfortunately my where-with-all did not allow. However the reports on these trips were an inspiration.

Rest in Peace, you have done your bit.
Martin

free2australian

« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2016, 08:50:31 pm »

Saddened to hear about [Michael]'s death he seems to have been a wonderful person.  I sure his family would be grateful for the heart-felt expression of love that the Luminous Landscape fraternity have bestowed on him.

Sue

[Edited by Moderator]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:54:21 pm by Chris Sanderson »

marcury

« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:11 am »

Just read this. So Sad! RIP Michael.

channel_mixer

« Reply #270 on: July 20, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »

I have not visited LuLa in a while and am just hearing this news. My condolences to his friends and family.

I am not a landscape photographer but have been a reader since the early days. This has always been a great space for the practice of photography and Michael's enthusiasm made the site stand out. He was a wonderful educator and I learned a lot from him.

I can say without hesitation that his work through The Luminous Landscape enriched my life.

He will be missed.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #271 on: July 28, 2016, 08:21:30 am »

Just to add my thoughts and thanks to what MR did.

I was saddended to hear the news.

Been here since 2003 or so, navigated going digital, going raw, doing ETTR, going to a (kodak then Sinar) MFDB, and Capture One all with a lot of help from MRs articles and this forum.

Thoughts to all who knew him face to face.

Sam MM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Per Zangenberg

« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2016, 01:35:13 am »

It is with a very heavy heart that I must share sad news with our readers and the rest of the photographic community.  After an extended battle with cancer, the Founder of Luminous-Landscape, Michael Reichmann, has passed away.  He was surrounded by family and friends over the last few weeks.  He put up a valiant fight.  He passed late on May 18th at age 71.

Read the article at  This Page

I was SO sad to read about Michaels passing.  :'(
I have not kept up with this site in some time, but I have bought and watched all the video journals and allways loved watching Michael talk about his passion. He seemed like such a likeable kind man. He inspired me and a SO many others to get out there and engage in photography.

My regards to all his friends and family and you WILL be missed Michael.

Per Zangenberg
A fan from Denmark.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up