Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax 645z and Profoto HSS petition. Please sign!  (Read 3341 times)

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
Pentax 645z and Profoto HSS petition. Please sign!
« on: May 16, 2016, 11:59:15 am »

Please sign this petition if you want Profoto to produce an AIR HSS supported transmitter for Pentax.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/665/799/804/we-want-profoto-to-produce-a-air-hss-supported-transmitter-for-pentax/?taf_id=25175144&cid=email_na#

Joe Towner

Re: Pentax 645z and Profoto HSS petition. Please sign!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:36:03 pm »

I've chatted with the local Profoto guys so many times about this it's kinda bunk at this point.  They also see Sony as a bigger market than P-TTL, so I expect it to happen around the time we have leaf lenses from Pentax.
t: @PNWMF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:41:13 am »

I would tend to agree that pushing Pentax to deliver a couple of Leaf lenses is more realistic.

2-3 lenses would probably be sufficient:
- 80-85mm equivalent
- 135mm equivalent
- optionally a wider lens, perhaps a 30~35mm equivalent

Cheers,
Bernard

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »

This was Profoto's response in January of this year when I asked about a dedicated Pentax remote:

---

Hey Darryl,

Thanks for reaching out to us. There isn’t a firmware fix that can be done to enable TTL and HSS for the Pentax 645z. A completely new TTL remote would have to be created using the pin structure and TTL codes from the 645z.

That being said Profoto is always looking to expand on it products that pros need to do their job. We make products based on the amount of demand we receive from the photographic world. I will make sure that your request for a Pentax Remote makes it to the product development team.

In the meantime you could always shoot with glass with leaf shutters as this is a huge advantage that medium format cameras have over 35mm dslrs. I’ve done some research and have found that people seem to be having tremendous success with the LS glass from Pentax.

I hope that helped answer your question. Let me know if you have any others.

Thank you for choosing Profoto.

Chris Fain
Evangelist

Profoto
Cell                     (973) 307-4070
Company            (973) 822-1300 x5571
Skype                  profoto_chris.fain
Web                     www.profoto.com/us

Profoto US, 220 Park Ave, Florham Park NJ 07932

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »

In the meantime you could always shoot with glass with leaf shutters as this is a huge advantage that medium format cameras have over 35mm dslrs. I’ve done some research and have found that people seem to be having tremendous success with the LS glass from Pentax.

LS > HSS for sure
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:48:31 pm by Doug Peterson »

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »

I started the petition.
No Doug, LS is < HSS. Leaf shutters will never achieve the speeds that can be achieved from HSS (with the right gear of course).
And no its not a whole lotta big deal to do this. Profoto reverse engineered both the Canon and Nikon units. Rumour has it most of the others (Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc ) which have all been cracked as well.
Why the wait?
Paper work, getting all parties to sign up.
The positives for everyone are, selling more units.
The units are cast, all the moulds etc are made. Yes, pin design is different but outside of that and firmware, bingo, you're set.
Stop being haters, just sign the thing and maybe somewhere down the road it will be the incentive to get "your" brand backed if it isn't already.
Yes, I know about the inbred relationship between MAC, Mamiya and Phase but that shouldn't deter a large company like Profoto not to other all options to all players.

Thanks
Rob

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 08:20:55 am »

I started the petition.
No Doug, LS is < HSS. Leaf shutters will never achieve the speeds that can be achieved from HSS (with the right gear of course).
And no its not a whole lotta big deal to do this. Profoto reverse engineered both the Canon and Nikon units. Rumour has it most of the others (Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc ) which have all been cracked as well.
Why the wait?
Paper work, getting all parties to sign up.
The positives for everyone are, selling more units.
The units are cast, all the moulds etc are made. Yes, pin design is different but outside of that and firmware, bingo, you're set.
Stop being haters, just sign the thing and maybe somewhere down the road it will be the incentive to get "your" brand backed if it isn't already.
Yes, I know about the inbred relationship between MAC, Mamiya and Phase but that shouldn't deter a large company like Profoto not to other all options to all players.

Thanks
Rob

Rob,

Have you worked with a modern Leaf Shutter system like the Phase One XF before? The numbers are lower, but achieving any given effect relative to ambient is significantly easier. The only exception is when you're doing a very tight headshot and therefore the speed lights can be brought very very close to offset the massive loss in effective power as you go to high speeds.

If you haven't I'd invite you to come to our LA Phase One office to make a comparison of your own. You can come anytime, but we have a few open houses and social events coming up: https://digitaltransitions.com/events-training/

Mac Group no longer has anything to do with either Pofoto or Mamiya. Technically there isn't even a Mamiya anymore - Phase One Japan is a part of Team Phase One.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:58:12 am »

Using HSS is like using a continuous light source. It does not give the same advantages that a leaf shutter gives.

You will have much more success using a vari ND filter.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up