Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Looking at the PRO-1000

(1/2) > >>

keithcooper:
Rather a long article, but I've just finished a review of the Canon PRO-1000 printer

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/review-canon_pro-1000.html

I've also included a link to the CSV data files from the accounting package covering some of the time I had the printer

Hope it's of interest :-)

If I've missed anything, please do ask, since there's just me doing the reviews and I might have forgotten to include something that I tested.

Geraldo Garcia:
Thanks Keith, excellent review as usual.

GrahamBy:
Thanks Keith, nice work. I guess in the end, if the 594mm length limit relates to the image and not the paper then it's not that bad: uncropped in 3x2 that would allow a 396x594mm image, or an 18mm (0.7") border on 17x24.8" paper. If displayed un-matted, I'd certainly want to keep a bigger margin than that anyway.
Obviously panos are out though, and it would be just deeply irritating to know I was being blocked by a marketing decision. It comes across to me as an arrogant "we reserve the right to screw you" attitude, whether that is the reality or not.

datro:
Thanks for a thorough review.

For Keith (or anyone else more knowledgeable than me on Canon printers):  How many gray inks are actually used in the "special B&W mode" on the PRO-1000?  I see that like my Epson 7900 it has PK, MK, and two gray (light black) inks on board.  On the Epson, the ABW mode uses only three shades of black (either PK or MK and the two lighter shades).  Does the Canon actually use all four shades in its B&W mode?  Or is it a 3k B&W printer just like the Epson?  (I'm a bit confused on this because I've seen it mentioned elsewhere here on LuLa that the new Canons have "added a 4th gray ink" but as far as I can tell the earlier Canon models also had the 4 shades on board.)

A related question:  Does anyone know if the Bowhaus True Black and White driver will be available for the new Canon printers?

I'm trying to get a more complete picture of the B&W printing capabilities of the new Canon printers as I evaluate options to replace my 7900.

Dave

André Denis:
Thanks Keith, i always appreciate your reviews. Now that i saw your magnified view of images printed by the canon printer ( using your usb microscope) i wished you had done the same image, same paper, same x magnification with the epson p-800 printer.
I'm looking for a replacement for my dead 7900, and really interrested by the canon line, specially the one you will be reviewing shortly.  I always though that epson had a bit higher 'resolution' capability (for lack of a better word) than the canon, but this might not be true no more.  I understand that the heads in these high end 17 inches printers are the same as their equivalent 24 inch, comparing p-800 with the pro-1000 is a good indication of the p2000 versus epson pro 7000.
Thanks again et keep up the good work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version