Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at the PRO-1000  (Read 2499 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Looking at the PRO-1000
« on: May 15, 2016, 03:53:27 pm »

Rather a long article, but I've just finished a review of the Canon PRO-1000 printer

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/review-canon_pro-1000.html

I've also included a link to the CSV data files from the accounting package covering some of the time I had the printer

Hope it's of interest :-)

If I've missed anything, please do ask, since there's just me doing the reviews and I might have forgotten to include something that I tested.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Looking at the PRO-1000
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:03:58 pm »

Thanks Keith, excellent review as usual.

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:31:48 am »

Thanks Keith, nice work. I guess in the end, if the 594mm length limit relates to the image and not the paper then it's not that bad: uncropped in 3x2 that would allow a 396x594mm image, or an 18mm (0.7") border on 17x24.8" paper. If displayed un-matted, I'd certainly want to keep a bigger margin than that anyway.
Obviously panos are out though, and it would be just deeply irritating to know I was being blocked by a marketing decision. It comes across to me as an arrogant "we reserve the right to screw you" attitude, whether that is the reality or not.

datro

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 01:41:58 pm »

Thanks for a thorough review.

For Keith (or anyone else more knowledgeable than me on Canon printers):  How many gray inks are actually used in the "special B&W mode" on the PRO-1000?  I see that like my Epson 7900 it has PK, MK, and two gray (light black) inks on board.  On the Epson, the ABW mode uses only three shades of black (either PK or MK and the two lighter shades).  Does the Canon actually use all four shades in its B&W mode?  Or is it a 3k B&W printer just like the Epson?  (I'm a bit confused on this because I've seen it mentioned elsewhere here on LuLa that the new Canons have "added a 4th gray ink" but as far as I can tell the earlier Canon models also had the 4 shades on board.)

A related question:  Does anyone know if the Bowhaus True Black and White driver will be available for the new Canon printers?

I'm trying to get a more complete picture of the B&W printing capabilities of the new Canon printers as I evaluate options to replace my 7900.

Dave

André Denis

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 07:17:29 pm »

Thanks Keith, i always appreciate your reviews. Now that i saw your magnified view of images printed by the canon printer ( using your usb microscope) i wished you had done the same image, same paper, same x magnification with the epson p-800 printer.
I'm looking for a replacement for my dead 7900, and really interrested by the canon line, specially the one you will be reviewing shortly.  I always though that epson had a bit higher 'resolution' capability (for lack of a better word) than the canon, but this might not be true no more.  I understand that the heads in these high end 17 inches printers are the same as their equivalent 24 inch, comparing p-800 with the pro-1000 is a good indication of the p2000 versus epson pro 7000.
Thanks again et keep up the good work.

samueljohnchia

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the highly detailed review of the Pro-1000 printer!

I wonder if you are seeing any advantages to the new higher pigment density inks. On the Epson P Surecolor series they do increase the dmax by quite a bit. It is not just a measurement difference, it makes a real world visible difference in the prints. One may have to force higher ink loads than the default standard inking. I see Canon has taken to calling "largest" instead of "high" in the MCT. Perhaps you can try this with the Pro-2000 coming your way, on a paper that can take a huge inkload, like the Canson offerings, Baryta Photographique, Platine, and Rag Photogaphique if you happen to have them in stock.

I'm seeing an L* of 16.4 in your QTR measurement of a grayscale stepwedge on matte paper, with FAPR. What paper did you print on? The first measurement screenshot in the B&W section. I also see the Pinnacle Silk Baryta is showing 3.45 to 3.68 L*, which all things considered, is not bad but still not on par with the better glossy papers on the LUCIA EX inks, which can hit L* 1-2. It's an appreciable difference under good gallery illumination.

I was very excited to see the highly magnified microscope pictures of the dot pattern. It looks like Canon has changed it's ink start curves. Maybe the screening algorithm. I don't see the old peppering in the highlights, where the gray and black ink gets introduced way too early. I still see a sufficiently large advantage to the "Highest" print quality mode. Did you count how many passes it is now for the new printers? It was reduced from 32 pass to 16 passes from the X3XX to X4XX printers. Maybe it is even faster now, not that it matters too much anyway. I also wonder how it compares to the P800 dot pattern. Which looks smoother?

The loss of the green ink should be inconsequential to real world naturally lit (sunlight) images of foliage, since most of those greens are yellow-greens, not extreme greens and cyan-greens. I do not miss the green ink. However, I do wonder if we have gained any more gamut in the upper highlight range of the warm colors with the new high pigment density inks, where traditionally the Epson HDR inksets reign supreme. Do you mind sending me the measurements? I'll PM you my email.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 04:26:56 am »

Keith,

On the gloss enhancer / paper white comment in the review;
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=30817.0

Edit, more detailed;
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=40521

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:50:01 am by Ernst Dinkla »

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:20:41 am »

Keith,

On the gloss enhancer / paper white comment in the review;
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=30817.0

Edit, more detailed;
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=40521

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Thanks - I'll try that with the PRO-2000 when it gets here, and then add a note to the pro-1000 review (it's not here any more to test)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:49:28 am »

Thanks Keith, i always appreciate your reviews. Now that i saw your magnified view of images printed by the canon printer ( using your usb microscope) i wished you had done the same image, same paper, same x magnification with the epson p-800 printer.
I'm looking for a replacement for my dead 7900, and really interrested by the canon line, specially the one you will be reviewing shortly.  I always though that epson had a bit higher 'resolution' capability (for lack of a better word) than the canon, but this might not be true no more.  I understand that the heads in these high end 17 inches printers are the same as their equivalent 24 inch, comparing p-800 with the pro-1000 is a good indication of the p2000 versus epson pro 7000.
Thanks again et keep up the good work.
Actually there are some photos with the USB microscope in the P800 review, but the really high res ones in the Canon review are ~20 image stacks from a 5Ds and MP-E65 macro - they give a lot more resolution than the USB scope. Partly included because it was all set up on the StackShot rail.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
page length - no news :-(
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:44:55 pm »

I've been away for the week since I published the review, and today had a quick chat with Canon in the UK.

...unfortunately no news that they could pass on :-(

The good news was that the PRO-2000 may be arriving on Wednesday :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up