Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of a leveling base  (Read 10008 times)

claskin

Use of a leveling base
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:32:58 pm »

I was intrigued by Michael's review of the Acratech leveling base. I would be interested in comments regarding adding a leveling base such as the Acratech (or simply using/buying the Gitzo 1257 LV (the upgraded 1228 LV) which has a leveling base built in.
Carl Laskin

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Use of a leveling base
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:54:22 pm »

Some folks prefer to remove the centre column, but if you're in the market for a new tripod, seems a decent concept (haven't laid my hands on one though).

claskin

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:34:52 pm »

Some folks prefer to remove the centre column, but if you're in the market for a new tripod, seems a decent concept (haven't laid my hands on one though).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=66679\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim,
Thank you for your comments. It appears I'm not missing anything here...just my ignorance.
Carl
Carl Laskin

capecodfish

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:02:21 am »

my 2 cents...  
i added the 1321 leveling base to my 1325.  i shoot mostly landscapes, some birds + wildlife.  i have (and use the 1321 with) both the bh55 ballhead and the wimberley.  i find it invaluable to at least start out level, and to check myself occasionly during the shoot.  i do move the tripod around and sometimes the excitement of the moment knocks things askew!  i've considered adding the acretech leveler to my other non-gitzo tripod since i appreciate using one so much.

claskin

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 09:41:40 am »

my 2 cents...  
i added the 1321 leveling base to my 1325.  i shoot mostly landscapes, some birds + wildlife.  i have (and use the 1321 with) both the bh55 ballhead and the wimberley.  i find it invaluable to at least start out level, and to check myself occasionly during the shoot.  i do move the tripod around and sometimes the excitement of the moment knocks things askew!  i've considered adding the acretech leveler to my other non-gitzo tripod since i appreciate using one so much.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67162\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I appreciate your 2 cents. I have now ordered the 1257 LV (with leveling base). I pained over the 1257 or 1325. The lighter weight won out.
Carl
Carl Laskin

RMMJ

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:03:48 pm »

Seems expensive.  I use a $34.95 double bubble levels that attaches to the hot shoe.  Works fine.

DarkPenguin

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 12:13:39 pm »

That only levels the camera.  If you rotate it you'll have to level it again.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Use of a leveling base
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 02:24:09 pm »

Notwithstanding the fact that I recently bought the Acratech, it strikes me that the fundamental design of all the panning ballheads I've seen is flawed since the panning head is on the bottom of the head.  If they just moved the panning plate to the top, that would solve the problem with no new gear required.

I have an old novoflex magic ball and separate pano plate, just screw the panning plate into the top and the QR clamp to the panning base and you've solved the problem.

[attachment=686:attachment][attachment=687:attachment]

Sheldon N

Use of a leveling base
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:48:41 pm »

Notwithstanding the fact that I recently bought the Acratech, it strikes me that the fundamental design of all the panning ballheads I've seen is flawed since the panning head is on the bottom of the head.  If they just moved the panning plate to the top, that would solve the problem with no new gear required.

I have an old novoflex magic ball and separate pano plate, just screw the panning plate into the top and the QR clamp to the panning base and you've solved the problem.
[attachment=686:attachment][attachment=687:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really Right Stuff makes one... the PCL-1 panning clamp for $235. The only downfall is when you want to point the camera up or down, and still be able to pan on a level plane.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Use of a leveling base
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 07:01:18 pm »

Really Right Stuff makes one... the PCL-1 panning clamp for $235. The only downfall is when you want to point the camera up or down, and still be able to pan on a level plane.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You need a spherical pano head to be able to do this, which is also available from RRS.

Regards,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up