Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile for Epson Legacy Platine and 3800??  (Read 3312 times)

BradSmith

Profile for Epson Legacy Platine and 3800??
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:40 pm »

Based on Mark's review, I've ordered some Epson Legacy Platine.  But I can't find an Epson profile for my Epson 3800.  Am I looking in the wrong place?  If Epson hasn't produced one yet, do you think they will? Is a custom profile my only choice in the near term? 
Thanks
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Profile for Epson Legacy Platine and 3800??
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »

Brad, do you have the most recent driver installed for your 3800? It was only with a very recent driver up-date that the Legacy Paper profiles were installed even for the newer printer models. You may wish to check this first. If you are not up to date on the driver, install the newest available, then open you print application, migrate to Media Type in the Epson driver settings and see whether the legacy papers show up as an option. If they do, you're fine. If they are not there as of the latest driver update for the 3800, you may wish to try Canson's profile for Canson Platine/3800 and see whether it delivers what you need before ordering a custom profile. I have no idea when/if Epson will be creating Legacy paper profiles for the 3800 if they have not done so already.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:48:22 pm »

I think (IMO) there is zero chance you'll see one from Epson since the 3800 has been out of production for what, 4-5yrs at this point?  You're lucky they still make drivers for it (see 'Canon's poor support for older printers').

You should definitely try the Canson Platine profile first. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 04:40:50 pm »

I think (IMO) there is zero chance you'll see one from Epson since the 3800 has been out of production for what, 4-5yrs at this point?  You're lucky they still make drivers for it (see 'Canon's poor support for older printers').

You should definitely try the Canson Platine profile first.

I tend to agree about the low probability - just checked their website and the latest driver is dated December 2014. They do provide Legacy paper profiles for the 3880 but not the 3800.

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 06:36:20 pm »

Mark,
I downloaded the most recent driver a few days ago from Epson, so I'm up to date.  I checked the Media Types in the driver and there are no Legacy paper types listed.  So I guess there are none, and from your responses, sounds like there most likely will not be any forthcoming from Epson.  When I receive my paper, I'll try the Canson Platine profile for my 3800 and post the results. 
Brad

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 03:04:50 pm »

Update - I've now printed my test image on Ep Legacy Platine with my 3800 using several profiles for other papers.

Canson Platine - dark and dull with low saturation.  Yellow terrible.  The worst of the three.
Epson Prem Luster - slight improvement in brightness and yellow, but still low saturation and not close to acceptible
Canson Baryta Photographique - brigher again, but Sat still low and yellows still bad.

I give up.  I've ordered a custom profile.  I must admit that it annoys me that Epson hasn't produced profiles for the 3800.  There are still MANY 3800's in use and it is THEIR printer, not a Canon or HP.  They should support their loyal customers.

Dano if you're out there, this is poor customer service.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:31:23 pm »

Have you discussed this matter with Epson ProGraphics tech support? If not, I suggest you give them a call and hear what they have to say about it.

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:36:40 pm »

Profile Update:
I have just received a 3rd party, custom profile for my 3800/Eps Legacy Platine and it is fine.  Problem solved. 

So why couldn't Epson have done this for their thousands of 3800 owners???

Thank you all for weighing in with your experiences.
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »

You are welcome. Glad the problem is solved.

As for why no profile from Epson? I don't know the answer to that, but generically, what I see these days is that once a company decides to end certain kinds of support to a product cycle, that's it, and the 3800 is now superceded by "x" generations of models; yes a really good printer but technological change and marketing has us on a far faster tread mill than how it was when we were kids!

fernandjpelletier

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:21 pm »

Where did you order your profile from? 

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »

Where did you order your profile from?

I purchased the paper and ordered the profile from IT Supplies in the US.
Pages: [1]   Go Up