Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Can our pictures actually achieve anything positive?  (Read 21127 times)

stamper

Re: Can our pictures actually achieve anything positive?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 03:41:46 am »

Ray have you read about foot in mouth disease? ;)

Ray

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:33 am »

Ray have you read about foot in mouth disease? ;)

I have indeed. According to Wikipedia, Foot-and-mouth disease, or hoof-and-mouth disease, (Aphthae epizooticae) is an infectious and sometimes fatal viral disease that affects cloven-hoofed animals, including domestic and wild bovids.

I don't know how this is related to the topic under discussion, although I do understand that you are trying to imply that I have put my foot in my mouth, in relation to my last post.

I assure you, if anyone can prove that I have metaphorically put my foot in my mouth, in respect of my previous post, I will be the first to be overjoyed at having learned something.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2016, 04:13:18 am »

We've moved a long way from pictures of wigs, now, but on the topic of meals: I think that the 'one meal a day' idea is actually pretty sound.

I used to eat the usual breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then a good few years ago, I developed a weakness in the pipe system, and find myself victim of acid reflux, which, basically, means that the digestive juices can rise into one's throat during sleep and choke one. It's happened quite a few times, and the last time I really did believe that I wasn't going to breath again, but luck prevailed. Strangely, I felt relatively calm about it, resigned, as it were.

But the point is this: that weakness has led to my eating every day at around 1pm. I no longer eat at night, but sometimes do indulge in a snack at six or seven o'clock in the evening. Which is a mistake, for which I pay later. The great plus about eating in the middle of the day seems to be this: as long as you don't couch potato your life, you get to exercise and burn off excess intake.

I have friends who live the other way around: light lunches and heavy dinners. They don't seem to grasp the fact that their excessive avoirdupois comes from the indulging, and not exercising to mitigate the excessive intake. Nobody can have enough sex at night to make up for greed/good appetite. Maybe there could be a study; Mr Kinsey?

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:38:34 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2016, 05:19:20 am »

We've moved a long way from pictures of wigs, now, but on the topic of meals: I think that the 'one meal a day' idea is actually pretty sound.

Oops! Don't tell that to Tony Jay. He'll be furious. He'll probably tell you that the digestive system needs regular intake of food throughout the day, according to 'unverifiable' scientific studies.  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2016, 09:39:42 am »

This guy was eating one meal a day!? Must had been one hell of a breakfast ;)

Ray

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2016, 09:55:40 am »

This guy was eating one meal a day!? Must had been one hell of a breakfast ;)

This guy is a later Chinese version of Buddha, not to be confused with the original Gautama Buddha of India.

He's sometimes referred to as Maitreya, the future Buddha who will appear after everyone has forgotten about Gautama Buddha.

Considering how fat he is, I find that prediction rather prescient. If we don't find a solution to the current obesity epidemic, that fat, obese and laughing Buddha will fit in perfectly with a future population.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2016, 10:00:10 am »

Anybody else notice he couldn't get his necklace on?

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »

Here's another version of a fat Buddha in natural surroundings. He's not exactly laughing. It's more of a smirk on his face, I'd say. Perhaps he's got a bit of a tummy ache.  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2016, 12:16:02 pm »

Anybody else notice he couldn't get his necklace on?

There is a neck?

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »

Ray

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2016, 10:01:50 am »

Just to create a balance so people don't get the wrong impression, the following image I took in Chiang Mai a year or so ago, portrays the original Indian Buddha,  Siddhartha Gautama, during his extreme period of fasting to the point of almost total starvation.

Fortunately, he realised these extreme measures were not serving his purpose, and later taught the principle of moderation, or the Middle Way, after he had attained enlightenment.

If the story is true, which is doubtful of course, it's quite remarkable that someone who had subjected himself to such extreme starvation, managed to live well beyond the average lifespan of those times and conditions, which included a lack of hygene and the availability of only natural medicines. He supposedly lived to 80, which is higher than the average lifespan for males in the USA today.  ;)

degrub

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2016, 10:57:35 pm »

never has any substitute been found for good genes and belief.

Ray

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 03:32:32 am »

never has any substitute been found for good genes and belief.

Such a statement might appear to be true, but we need to define what a 'good' gene is.

The Darwinian cliche, 'survival of the fittest' relates to specific contexts of varying conditions. As conditions change, as climate changes, as social and cultural mores change, genes that were once considered good might no longer be good.

For example, some people in modern societies have a metabolism which efficiently gets rid of excess food which is consumed (it goes down the toilet). They tend not to put on weight when overeating.
This observation is used by overweight people to make the claim that they are not overeating, and that it's just their genes that cause them to be fat. Such people then search for magical cures, special diets or special foods that are claimed to 'burn up fat'.

The reality is, such people are fat because they simply eat too much. Putting on fat because one eats too much is a normal and healthy response. In the past, when periodic shortages of food were a common occurrence, those who had stores of fat resulting from overeating during periods of plenty, would more easily survive periods of famine. Their genes would be considered 'good'.
Those who were unable to put on weight during periods of plenty, would be at a serious disadvantage during periods of famine. They would have difficulty in surviving. In that context, we could say their genes were not 'good'.

However, in modern times, in developed societies, there is never any shortage of food to the degree of a famine. Those people with genes that efficiently convert excess food into fat, have no advantage, because there is never any need to fast.

They are kept alive often by the medical intervention of doctors like Tony Jay, who in part, need such people to provide full employment for himself, other doctors, the pharmaceutical industry, and to a certain extent, medical research into drugs that can compensate for overindulgence and an unhealthy lifestyle.

Just my opinion, but a sound and reasoned opinion, I believe.

On the subject of belief, that translates into the placebo effect, as well as the nocebo effect, which is the opposite, an adverse reaction.
It seems to be generally accepted that a placebo cannot directly affect or attack a tumour or disease, but studies indicate that it can indirectly affect outcomes. It's the outcome that is important for the patient, whether a result of direct or indirect influences.

I hope I have raised the standards of the Coffee Corner debates.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 10:11:49 am »

"I hope I have raised the standards of the Coffee Corner debates."

What, they are supposed to have any? You'll silence the place if that's to be taken seriously!

;-)

Rob

Rand47

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2016, 03:48:07 pm »

I hope I have raised the standards of the Coffee Corner debates.  ;D

As I teach my students in emergency management, "Hope is not a strategy.  If you adopt it as such, you'll fail miserably."

Other than a tour de force of semantical jousting, this thread is pretty much worthless as it has evolved.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Ray

« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 10:52:58 pm »

As I teach my students in emergency management, "Hope is not a strategy.  If you adopt it as such, you'll fail miserably."

Other than a tour de force of semantical jousting, this thread is pretty much worthless as it has evolved.

Rand

I'm so sorry that you have spent time reading 4 pages of comments before realizing that it was a complete waste of time, and that the thread is worthless.

Perhaps you should learn how to achieve positive results from negative outcomes.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2016, 04:50:18 am »

I'm so sorry that you have spent time reading 4 pages of comments before realizing that it was a complete waste of time, and that the thread is worthless.

Perhaps you should learn how to achieve positive results from negative outcomes;)

Really like that, Ray; deep, eastern philosophies at work here. Reminds me of the song: Always look on the bright side, which takes some doing, but does solve many a problem or, perhaps, smoothe over many a depressing situation...

Personally, I find that it sometimes works, but more often than not it's best to walk away. My grandfather had a saying: it's as useless to try and convince a fool as it is to whip the fog. Long a grandfather myself, I sometimes think of that, and wonder how he managed to discern which was which.

Was a time I spent hours at the computer trying to reason with people, then realised that it's impossible: people are set in moulds and even the most logical of arguments can't budge 'em should they reside in opposing camps (or moulds). It's been taken as a sign of weakness, of not having a response, but that's not true: I know that I can respond as well as anyone else, but it's the time it takes, and the bother... all so worthless in the end.

This isn't meant as being applicable to any specific argument going down in this thread, just a general observation on both Internet and "real life" interactions. As with my recent experience with my watch, where the authorized agent claims the rear was badly damaged, that the bracelet contains a doubtful part; how can one argue or prove anything, yet only two Rolex-authorized top dealers have handled it (the current one twice!), and I know perfectly well it has never been touched by other workshops nor has it been dropped? One is left facing rubber men. Either I pony up, get the damned thing cleaned and working properly again, or I add it to the growing collection of paperweights. A Hobson's choice.

;-)

Rob

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:13:41 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2016, 07:34:39 am »

Really like that, Ray; deep, eastern philosophies at work here.

I certainly hope so!  ;D

Rand47

« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2016, 10:54:28 am »

Perhaps you should learn how to achieve positive results from negative outcomes.  ;)

Ray,

You, my friend, are a hoot.  As someone who worked on the line as firefighter and emergency medical technician for 30 years, I think I "may" have a passing aquaintence with achieving positive results from negative outcomes.  LOL  Your penchant for subtle self aggrandizement and assumed omniscience is absolutely amazing.  I'm sure you don't intend to come across that way, and "in person" I'll bet you're actually an interesting guy.

Rand
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:07:48 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 11:07:20 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up