Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glass-less framing systems  (Read 4083 times)

msbc

Glass-less framing systems
« on: May 14, 2016, 04:21:30 am »

I'm looking for options in hanging photos in my home without framing them behind glass.

In the "Soft Proofing in Lightroom" Tutorial by Kevin and Jeff, I noticed the prints on the wall behind Jeff. Seems to consist of some sort of rod/frame along the bottom and top, no glass and no sides. Could be a good solution. Anybody here know anything about this or a similar hanging system?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

howardm

Re: Glass-less framing systems
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 06:17:11 am »

Those are made by Kevin for Kevin ;)

Google 'poster hanger'

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:14:25 am »

Those are made by Kevin for Kevin ;)

Google 'poster hanger'

Maybe Kevin could share what he does..?
John

Costas

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:48:15 am »

Herbc

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:10 am »

Canvas is an easy way to go without glass, although dmax suffers a bit on canvas, much as it does on matte.  Great for home use, galleries don't like it. 8)

afterimages

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:02:40 pm »

I've been very pleased mounting onto Gatorfoam(-board). One side self adhesive, black with some ¾" wood strips on back sets the print slightly away from the wall. Nice effect. 13x19 and 17x22 so far.

rick

howardm

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »

the only problem w/ the gatorboard is the $$ and permanence of it.  for the cost of a piece that large, you could just about buy an inexpensive frame and toss the glass.

afterimages

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:40:52 pm »

Yes, the 17" is about $10. But with frames/ mattes, I am constrained to certain aspect ratios. I tried the homemade matte approach years ago and would not want to go back.

With the gator, I have complete freedom of ratios since margins are part of the print.

I don't understand the 'permanence' comment.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »

the only problem w/ the gatorboard is the $$ and permanence of it.  for the cost of a piece that large, you could just about buy an inexpensive frame and toss the glass.

Cost?? Cheap as it gets. 32 sq. foot sheet of Gatorboard for $55.00 + a gallon of Miracle Muck.($18.00)
Canvas + spray topcoat + gatorboard + miracle muck = $3.00 a sq. foot. 24x36 canvas on gator all of $18.00.
Permanence?? Canvas with UV topcoat Miracle Mucked to the gator lasts a long, long time.

howardm

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 02:44:10 pm »

what I'm saying is that when I looked, a 10pk of 13x19 adhesive gatorboard was about $90 or so, now add shipping and the wood  & time to glue/drill.

so that is immediately something approx $13+ per 13x19.  You can get a framedestination basic frame for mid $20s and you can change the image whereas on the gatorboard, the image is there permanently like it or not.

That's all I'm saying.

dgberg

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:45:34 pm »

I get it now.
Gotta make them up yourself. Mine that size are $2.00 @ vs. yours @ $9.00 apiece.

bgasser

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 11:20:31 am »

Is the OP printing his own prints or having them printed by someone else?

Also, what size prints is the OP wanting to hang?

Ben Gasser
Metal Mouth Prints
Kansas City

howardm

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:04 am »

Dan,  how would I do that?

Get basic GatorBoard and use spray adhesive or ATG tape?

stockjock

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:52:20 pm »

I wanted to add another option for displaying prints that is better suited to frequently changed, temporarily displayed prints.  I use check order racks which are also known as menu slide racks to display a selection of prints on my walls.  This is a great way to put up a print for review or even relatively long term display.  It works best with prints that have been printed on sheets.  Some roll papers seem to have a semi-permanent curl to them that no amount of flattening really removes.  These "racks" are essentially an aluminium slot filled with marbles.  You slide the print up in between the back of the rack and the line of marbles and friction and gravity holds it securely in place.  Most papers don't show any marking from this process.  I am attaching an image of one of the walls I have installed these racks on. 

I have tried two brands, San Jamar and Tablecraft.  San Jamar has a higher level of finish and a lower profile but the space to actually "hang" prints is 3" less than the actual length of the rack.  The San Jamar racks are easily cut down with a hacksaw with no aesthetic degradation.  The Tablecraft racks are somewhat cheaper looking and are about 3/16" deeper but the end caps only consume 1/2" on each end although there is a screw head about 7/8" from the end.  If you use a screw with a low profile head it only interferes slightly with the paper so a 24" Tablecraft rack should display a 17x22" sheet in landscape orientation.  Cutting down the Tablecraft rack is possible but it will be less aesthetically pleasing.  Tablecraft offers a 72" rack while San Jamar's longest is 60".  The racks in the attached photo are San Jamar 60" racks cut down to 58".

Amazon has some smaller sizes of the San Jamar racks and www.katom.com has a wide arrange of sizes with very good pricing and shipping policies.

I have also tried mounting photos to self-adhesive gator and gluing mounting blocks on the back.  That gives a great display but I have found it to be quite a bit more finicky and time consuming than it sounds.  http://www.artgrafix.net is where I bought my self-adhesive gator but their sizes weren't exact and the seem to have stopped offering 17x22" precut gator which is the main reason I used them.

msbc

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 05:26:29 pm »

Is the OP printing his own prints or having them printed by someone else?

Also, what size prints is the OP wanting to hang?

Ben,

I print myself - Epson P800. The prints I want to hang are mostly A3+ with a few A2 sized.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

dgberg

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 08:34:56 pm »

Dan,  how would I do that?

Get basic GatorBoard and use spray adhesive or ATG tape?

What I do is canvas on Gator with Miracle Muck. (liquid adhesive)
Gator cut to size, cover Gator with MM with a foam roller. Smooth the canvas on the Gator with a brayer.
Flip over and trim the overhang with a razor.
5 minutes at most.

howardm

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:44 pm »

Does MM work (or recommended) for non-canvas (cotton rag or alpha-cellulose)?

Garry Gibson

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:31 am »

Just a FWIW, artsupply.com has precut Gatorboard  13x19 15 pieces for $69.95. Not $2 a sheet but not
ridiculously high.

howardm

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 08:13:10 am »

thanks.  I think I had seen foamboard.com or foamboardusa.com (forget which) and they were pretty pricey.  I assume that the $69 one is not pre-adhesive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up