Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If/when my PS/LR CC lapses...what happens  (Read 1869 times)

wmchauncey

If/when my PS/LR CC lapses...what happens
« on: May 13, 2016, 01:31:43 pm »

I maintain a monthly subscription and want to plan ahead...if I were to let my subscription permanently lapse...
what must I do to retain all the saved PSD/PSB files that occupy my HD in the event that they are to be printed at a later date?
The things you do for yourself die with

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: If/when my PS/LR CC lapses...what happens
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »

what must I do to retain all the saved PSD/PSB files that occupy my HD in the event that they are to be printed at a later date?

Not much. Lightroom will continue to work, so you will be able to print or output the PSDs, and adjust them to some extent. The PSB files are more of a problem. They can only be opened in PS so you would need to export JPEGs or flattened TIFs/PSDs while PS is still available.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 03:57:23 pm »

Not much. Lightroom will continue to work, so you will be able to print or output the PSDs, and adjust them to some extent. The PSB files are more of a problem. They can only be opened in PS so you would need to export JPEGs or flattened TIFs/PSDs while PS is still available.
The Develop Module won't work after the subscription ends, but as you say you can still view and export images.

The cliff-edge when the subscription ends and things stop working is rather unattractive - we all like the idea that everything just goes on working - but you manage the transition.  You may need to convert PS formats to something else before the licence ends, and if you want to do more editing on images in Lightroom then you may need to export Lightroom files to tif or jpeg (which you can do even after the licence ends). 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:22:55 pm »

Develop and Maps (like the later is mission critical) cease to exist, they are no more, don't work, if you stop subscribing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

wmchauncey

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »

I think that I failed to explain my motivations...want my children to have the ability to view and/or print my images at a later date.
Kind of an inheritance thingy. What do I gotta do?
The things you do for yourself die with

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:46:21 pm »

I think that I failed to explain my motivations...want my children to have the ability to view and/or print my images at a later date.
  • Convert your Photoshop files to TIF or (if your children are not particularly computer-savvy) jpeg
  • Export all your images in Lightroom to TIF or (if your...) jpeg
The main thing is to have the images in a non-proprietary format. 

TIF format for for highest quality, jpeg for easiest use for non computer people. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 01:22:48 pm »

If you end subscription, you can view AND still print.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 02:05:47 pm »

You can also purchase the stand alone/perpetual license version and everything will work except dehaze and any new camera formats which you can then use the dng converter.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up