Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: PRO-2000 on its way - questions?  (Read 12869 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
On its way... next week
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 09:35:15 am »

I'm told that a PRO-2000 has been found for me to test, and that this time it will be shipped uninitialised.

Not until next Monday (20th) I'm afraid, but at least I get to install and assemble one from scratch (I'll cover this in an article of its own)

As to the matter of getting it out of my test lab/kitchen, I believe it will be the first time the suppliers will have tested the shipping option (they will be sending me 'several' maintenance carts).

Looking forward to testing two new art papers with this one amongst the 'usual suspects'... ;-)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Re: PRO-2000 on its way - questions?
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2016, 07:40:48 pm »

I'll be real interested in the black density, especially on matte papers, since Epson seems to have an advantage in the department now. I'd trade GLOP for better blacks any day. But I haven't seen any press in regards to that, so probably not going to happen.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

samueljohnchia

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2016, 11:44:42 pm »

I'll be real interested in the black density, especially on matte papers, since Epson seems to have an advantage in the department now. I'd trade GLOP for better blacks any day. But I haven't seen any press in regards to that, so probably not going to happen.

Plus one here.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 05:24:21 am »

Did you look at the performance of the (same IIRC) ink set in the PRO-1000 review I wrote? The curves towards the end show performance in the B&W print mode.

Is there any particular measure of 'blackness' you would find useful, since those measurements for the PRO-1000 are about as far as I usually go in measuring it in any of my printer reviews.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:41 pm »

Did you look at the performance of the (same IIRC) ink set in the PRO-1000 review I wrote? The curves towards the end show performance in the B&W print mode.

Is there any particular measure of 'blackness' you would find useful, since those measurements for the PRO-1000 are about as far as I usually go in measuring it in any of my printer reviews.

Thanks for the PRO-1000 info, Keith. I'm not sure how those measurements compare to my iPF 8400, or for the latest Epson printers, and that's what I want to see before plunking down my "spare" change for a new printer. I know I've lost at least one printing client to a competitor who gets deeper blacks on an Epson 9900.

I find Canon's instructions for testing and creating custom media types too confusing to employ for the twenty or so papers I stock, so I end up picking ones from the supplied options that seem to produce good results, but it's hard to know if there might be a better setting I could use.

In any case, your reviews of past printers have always been insightful and worth poring over before taking the plunge.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »

I've provided a slew of such measurements for Canon Pro-1000 printing performance in both my Canon Pro-1000 and Epson Legacy Papers reviews (published on this website).
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
At last! printer arrives
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2016, 02:53:50 pm »

Fortunately it stopped raining before it arrived.

Dismantled in the street, and it definitely needs two people to move.

Note how it won't go through a UK doorway (from the 1880's) the right way up, so don't think of moving or buying one with inks in it if you want it at home...

It took about an hour to install heads and ink and do the head alignment.

Now to start some testing...  (OK not till Wednesday, since I'm out all of tomorrow as part of the negotiated deal to get it in the kitchen ;-)

FrankStark

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »

That is a big printer for seven more inches of print size compared to the Pro-1000. Come to think of it, the Pro-1000 is not exactly petite either.

F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »

I've thought of many things to move heavy kit across the floor. Piano wheels, skateboards etc have sprung to mind (and to hand). But I never thought of inverting blue slippers to slide units across the floor.

Inverted, so the velvet slides, whilst the sole of the slipper lovingly grips the body of the machine.

With the print plug in gone, is there still a direct way to ensure no colour adjustment for profile targets?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »

I've thought of many things to move heavy kit across the floor. Piano wheels, skateboards etc have sprung to mind (and to hand). But I never thought of inverting blue slippers to slide units across the floor.

Inverted, so the velvet slides, whilst the sole of the slipper lovingly grips the body of the machine.

With the print plug in gone, is there still a direct way to ensure no colour adjustment for profile targets?

Having someone else deliver it makes moving easier ;-)

PS, the slippers are where I normally leave them by the front door - good idea though!

I print targets via the OS X ColorSync Utility - it has a 'print as target' mode.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 05:52:13 pm by keithcooper »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2016, 05:53:13 pm »

Printing targets with ACPU works well too.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pedz

• http://www.why-not-photography.com
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 01:43:56 pm »

The question I hvae is how does the new Canon compare with the old Canon.  I see comparisons between Epson and Canon (e.g. P800 verse Pro-1000) but I don't see comparisons between the new Canon and the old; in this case, the iPF6450.

The other question I have is how does the color gamut of the printer (or any printer) compare to various displays gamuts (sRBG, Adobe 98, and P3). 

Thank you for your time,
Perry

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2016, 04:09:50 pm »

The question I hvae is how does the new Canon compare with the old Canon.  I see comparisons between Epson and Canon (e.g. P800 verse Pro-1000) but I don't see comparisons between the new Canon and the old; in this case, the iPF6450.

The other question I have is how does the color gamut of the printer (or any printer) compare to various displays gamuts (sRBG, Adobe 98, and P3). 

Thank you for your time,
Perry

Sheet loading is now the same as with my 8300, so single sheet lined up with the orange lines at the front, rather than a slot at the top as the 6450.

After making several A3+ and A2 prints, I can confirm that the 40-50 seconds delay between printing finishing and lock being released to remove the print, gets quite irksome ;-)

The dual roll feed is very nifty - I've not tried the second roll unit as a take-up though.

The pro-2000 is much bigger and heavier. 

As to gamut comparisons, take a profile and view it in your favourite profile analyser/viewer.
I say this, since it's not really something I look at when checking printers (I don't do comparative reviews).

The question is from a personal POV not one that has much connection with my print work - The print is the print and works within the gamut of whatever paper I choose. Now, I know that Canon and Epson marketing love things like 98% Pantone coverage, but that's graphicy print type stuff, and prone to the vagaries of marketing ;-)

One quick difference from the PRO-1000 is that when making custom media profiles, there are media options that have to CO switched off. I'm still testing this, but the CO does seem to make quite a difference to gloss differential and bronzing.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up