Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Badlands Trip late June  (Read 2890 times)

ps0909

Badlands Trip late June
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:34:58 pm »

I am new to the site - first post.  I am heading to Badlands in late June.  Will be there (staying in Wall) for 4 nights and will spend an additional 4 nights in Custer.  I am hoping I can get some advice on sunrise/sunset locations.  I have done some research and keep coming up with the same ideas.  I emailed the NPS and got the following:   "Pinnacles is the best overlook for sunset and Doors and Windows is the best of sunrise.  With that said, there is no bad place for photos in the park."  There have to be other spots to recommend.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Badlands Trip late June
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 03:40:18 am »

Plan to be there but don't plan your stops too hard...leave lots of time to let the place show you. You will be amazed at the photo ops that present themselves without much planning, simply because you are there.

The method to my travels these past few years is to simply get there and have an exit strategy anywhere I go. Usually, I find so much eye candy that it is hard to leave, but work and obligations await and they make my travels possible...

When you are out there, also don't confine yourself strictly to the park. There's a lot out there to find, photograph and experience.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

ps0909

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 06:40:03 am »

I agree that is good to not have a strict itinerary, however I don't like to totally "wing" new places, especially those as large as this.  I will have my wife and son in tow and my time alone to wing it and just make pictures will be.  I'd like to make the most of my time there.  Unlike a photography trip where I have time to explore 24/7, this trip will be both family vacation and photography, hence my request for info.  My photography time will be pre-dawn and early light hours and dusk and beyond.  we'll be doing family stuff in between.  Not sure how much scout time I will have.  Thank you to all who can possibly help me with a few locations and then I can do the rest with the remaining time I have there.

marc2242

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:45:33 pm »

Big Badlands Overlook and Panorama Point are good spot for sunrise. I like Conata Basin and Pinnacles for sunset.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:14:55 pm »

... Pinnacles is the best overlook for sunset...

Agree.

651roy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:57:20 pm »

The "Matador Network" a travel publisher just listed the Red Shirt overlook, as one of the top twenty-five most inspiring places to visit. This is reached from going south on highway 79 from RC and turning east on highway 40 at Hermosa (approx. 20miles from RC). Approx. 30ish miles east. Hard to identify the Red Shirt "more of a landmark" than town, a few residences off the road. Two or three miles past is a turnout on the north side of road just before the top of hill, there is a small sign. Great for sunset's especially with full moons.

Bill Groethe's Trails End Gallery in RC has many photo's from there. He is 93 and still runs the gallery and film developing store. Has captured much of the regions history (in 1948 photographed the last Sioux from the Little Big Horn). Gallery is located at 1839 West Main Street.

Each months full moon has a color associated with it in the plains tribes culture, he has captured most of those colors from this overlook. He is there everyday except Fridays when he prepares for setting up his display at Mt Rushmore where he has been the official photographer for many decades.

He and his wife are just great to visit with. I sure enjoy them. Have gone out to the site with them several times. July moon is the only one he has not captured, most from his 8x10 days.

luong

• http://www.terragalleria.com
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:56:24 pm »

Looks like you missed my write-up on Luminous-Landscape :-)
https://luminous-landscape.com/badlands-national-park-a-quick-guide-to-photography/
QT Luong - author of http://TreasuredLandsBook.com, winner of 6 national book awards
Pages: [1]   Go Up