Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpenglow  (Read 4371 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Alpenglow
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:42 am »

I was a little disappointed last night when the nice clouds we had all afternoon evaporated around sunset. But it was the first evening I could go out and shoot my MF camera in a week or so so I just had to go. We got a nice purple alpenglow in the clear sky so that made up for the lack of clouds.

Single frame with the last light hitting Mt. Ouray on the continental divide.
IMGP3580-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr

6 shot pano
IMGP3588-Pano-Edit by Matt Burt, on Flickr
-MattB

francois

Re: Alpenglow
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:05:31 pm »

This fantastic Alpenglow is well worth trading with the clouds. I especially like the second image with the wide aspect ratio.
Bravo!
Francois

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:15:02 pm »

This fantastic Alpenglow is well worth trading with the clouds. I especially like the second image with the wide aspect ratio.
Bravo!

Thank you very much! I really enjoy the emotional rollercoaster of going out for a certain shot, then realizing it cannot be taken then, and finding something new and potentially better!  ;D
-MattB

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:27:44 pm »

I like them both, for different reasons. The second is a great scene, and I prefer its framing; but it lacks the lovely glow on the distant peak which is so nicely captured by the first.

Jeremy

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 03:13:42 pm »

I like them both, for different reasons. The second is a great scene, and I prefer its framing; but it lacks the lovely glow on the distant peak which is so nicely captured by the first.

Jeremy

Thanks, I feel the same way. When the sky and reflection got nicer the light was no longer hitting the peak. I could probably blend the images to get both but I'm not sure how well it would work. I suppose if I was painting the scene I could have it all! ;)
-MattB

framah

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:22:49 pm »

I love the colors and the first one over the 2nd one.

The first one has a better composition for me... the trees on the right help me frame the mountains.

I saw colors like that last night coming back from Winter Harbor to Ellsworth in Maine. The sun had set and all that was left were the very subtle colors  in the sky and reflecting on the clam flats.   Low tide so there was a sheen of water on the flats which reflected the lavenders and teals and the small stream thru the middle was reflecting the mauve.
If it weren't for the black flies  swarming now, I'd be back there with my camera! :o

Love this time of the day!!! Thanks for sharing!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:26 pm »

I love the colors and the first one over the 2nd one.

The first one has a better composition for me... the trees on the right help me frame the mountains.

I saw colors like that last night coming back from Winter Harbor to Ellsworth in Maine. The sun had set and all that was left were the very subtle colors  in the sky and reflecting on the clam flats.   Low tide so there was a sheen of water on the flats which reflected the lavenders and teals and the small stream thru the middle was reflecting the mauve.
If it weren't for the black flies  swarming now, I'd be back there with my camera! :o

Love this time of the day!!! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I also love the dusk colors and Venus' Belt.

It's nice out in the evenings now because it's still cool enough the mosquitoes are not out yet. But in the next few weeks these fields will probably flood and then the mosquitoes get so thick it seems like they might carry you away! We have a pretty short summer here so I think the mosquitoes (and ticks) feel an extra sense of urgency!
-MattB

Colorado David

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »

Bug Tamer suit. I attract mosquitos, and wear a Bug Tamer suit to keep them from devouring me, but I just plain hate ticks with a passion. The Bug Tamer suit keeps the mosquitos away, but nothing keeps the ticks from getting to you. If you use deet and get any on your hands, it wil dissolve your camera.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »

I have a couple of those head nets you can wear over a hat. Those and covering up works pretty well. They love me too, especially ticks. I always find them before they can really get down to business because I'm pretty vigilant about checking.
-MattB

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 04:06:22 am »

Very good images.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 05:31:51 am »

I like them, the processing and the framing but possibly a little more exposure?

mac_paolo

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 05:38:39 am »

I quite like the pano, even though, forgive me, this is not an alpenglow, as the mountains are pretty much unlit.
Source: me, having seen many beautiful alpenglows on the Alps :)

thierrylegros396

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 06:26:57 am »

Bravo!

+1

Thierry

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 10:07:10 am »

I quite like the pano, even though, forgive me, this is not an alpenglow, as the mountains are pretty much unlit.
Source: me, having seen many beautiful alpenglows on the Alps :)

Thanks and I suppose you are correct. I've been using the term loosely to include when just the sky is lit but maybe that isn't technically right if there isn't light hitting the peaks.
-MattB

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:36:41 am »

I like 2 better; #1 has too many extraneous elements IMO. I might have tried a long lens to bring in that distant light.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 11:36:18 am »

I like 2 better; #1 has too many extraneous elements IMO. I might have tried a long lens to bring in that distant light.

Thanks! This is already with my longest lens on this system at 300mm. I have a 2x TC but I'm not happy with the results from it so I guess I just need to get closer!
I was wishing I had a little bit higher perspective to showcase the S shape of the creek more but it's a flat flood plain so it wasn't possible.
-MattB

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 03:51:48 pm »

:) See Tim Wolcott's use of ladders  ;)
A common woman~

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 04:03:30 pm »

:) See Tim Wolcott's use of ladders  ;)

I had the idea while I was out there and thought of trying to bring my truck out, which could probably be done or a ladder which could get me higher. But I was already there without either and I was trying to imagine how I could attach a tripod to the ladder and not coming up with much. Didn't think of the 12' tripod!

I shot some real estate from one of these once. Goes up 40' but is scary on lumpy or soft ground!
-MattB

Colorado David

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 04:33:13 pm »

Robinson R22.  I've shot from one a few times, but it is definitely a lot more like strapping a helicopter to your ass than getting in one.  Buy a mountaineering harness and take the door off.  Use a Kenyan Labs gyro.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 05:37:45 pm »

Robinson R22.  I've shot from one a few times, but it is definitely a lot more like strapping a helicopter to your ass than getting in one.  Buy a mountaineering harness and take the door off.  Use a Kenyan Labs gyro.

Looks like fun for sure but I'd have to get that 645Z I can't currently afford to raise my shutter speeds for the shot I was envisioning.
I do have the harness already so I've got that going for me which is nice. ;)
-MattB
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up