Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris Gampat - Featured Article May 12  (Read 10727 times)

landscapephoto

Re: Chris Gampat - Featured Article May 12
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 05:23:23 pm »

I certainly wish Chris Gampat well, that is not the question here. But you are right that probably this discussion has reached its end.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 06:36:36 pm »

Maybe Mark is just more willing to respond, and more patient in responding, than (at least some of) the rest of us.

Most endeavors—creative, business, whatever—fail. This isn't news. Knowing this: to come on like Debbie Downer or wish someone well? IMO only one of those options is worth doing.

-Dave-
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

SteveB

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 08:26:43 pm »

Dave and Mark - well said, and with more patience than I could muster.  'Fringe photographers'  LOL!!

Chris, really liked your site!  It has the perfect look and feel for noir' content.  Your uncovering some really terrific edgy talent.  I think your tapping into growing communities and markets that some folks here may not understand. 

So good luck with your vision!  Kickstarter funding on the way.     

I also want to applaud Kevin for continuing to expand the 'Luminous world'.   My main goal has always been to make compelling and interesting images of 'everything' around us.         

Cheers,
Steve

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 10:47:07 pm »

Maybe Mark is just more willing to respond, and more patient in responding, than (at least some of) the rest of us.

Yeah, that's indeed seems to be the case.

At one point I was going to respond too, but IMHO what's being discussed here is pretty obvious... If there is one thing that I could add here, it's this:

If there are two prospective businesses, one more stable and/or lucrative but for which you have no desire whatsoever, and the other one that is [far] more risky but for which you have a true passion, by all means go for the latter. And not only because it will make your life more interesting, but because you'll have more chances to succeed.

Note that I said "businesses", not just "areas of interest"... There has to be a business case in what you're doing. With that caveat, everything I said stands.

Anyway, Chris, I wish you best of luck.

P.S. Downloaded that PDF and enjoyed it a lot. Even decided to do a bit of B&W myself in the near future. See? You're already changing this world a bit...

ChrisGampat

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:20 am »

You mean it will interface like the BJP web site? I find that interface neither pretty nor practical.

I find the opposite to be true. With the glut of "online magazines" on the Internet, the new ones are desperate to try to reach untapped readers by publishing fringe photographers.

No no no! Like the BJP on the iPad! Meaning if you buy the subscription to the magazine on iOS and get the magazine delivered to your iPad or iPhone via their app.

Also, the Phoblographer has been around for six years and it's a well respected photography publication that features artists often. I'm proud to say with confidence that I often end up finding these artists first. I'd put the stake of my business on that statement in the same way that I'm doing it with my black and white photo magazine.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 10:20:08 am »

What made me write what I posted in this thread is that the article starts with: The community for providing photography based internet content is rather small. The opposite is actually true: there is a glut of web sites "providing photography based internet content".

that part is an introduction by Kevin! And it is true in the sense that few of us actually stand out enough to gain the recognition to be invited to these press trips that he continues to speak of.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 10:23:47 am »

Well, I did say the World is a crowded place, and yes you have a point, there are gazillions of websites providing photographic content. That is plain for any one to see. If Chris cares to comment on what he meant by that statement of course he can speak for himself, but I suspect he had in mind the specific kind of content and presentation he is developing.

I'm not going to sustain an argument on this matter, especially as I have a policy of not getting into forum arguments with screen names, but I'll just reinforce a perspective that Chris is probably at least as aware of the risks as you are, especially as he is actually doing it, and a positive attitude is probably more helpful all round.

So to add to my previous comment, the intro was done by Kevin. On these press trips, there are often journalists invited and business owners. Amongst those publication/business owners are myself, Kevin, Steve Huff, the Northrups, Gordon Laing, and someone from Resource, SLR Lounge and FStoppers.

I'm quite aware of the risks and that's why I need to fund this via a Kickstarter. $35k for the first year isn't a whole lot to ask and I plan on getting advertising to support the magazine and keep costs down the way everyone else does. But my ads don't interfere with the content.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 10:25:51 am »

+1.

My mentor taught me one big thing and it was reinforced in RoTC: If you don't try, then you fail. If you try, you've got a bigger chance of success.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 10:26:31 am »

Dave and Mark - well said, and with more patience than I could muster.  'Fringe photographers'  LOL!!

Chris, really liked your site!  It has the perfect look and feel for noir' content.  Your uncovering some really terrific edgy talent.  I think your tapping into growing communities and markets that some folks here may not understand. 

So good luck with your vision!  Kickstarter funding on the way.     

I also want to applaud Kevin for continuing to expand the 'Luminous world'.   My main goal has always been to make compelling and interesting images of 'everything' around us.         

Cheers,
Steve

That means a lot, thanks!

ChrisGampat

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 10:27:50 am »

Yeah, that's indeed seems to be the case.

At one point I was going to respond too, but IMHO what's being discussed here is pretty obvious... If there is one thing that I could add here, it's this:

If there are two prospective businesses, one more stable and/or lucrative but for which you have no desire whatsoever, and the other one that is [far] more risky but for which you have a true passion, by all means go for the latter. And not only because it will make your life more interesting, but because you'll have more chances to succeed.

Note that I said "businesses", not just "areas of interest"... There has to be a business case in what you're doing. With that caveat, everything I said stands.

Anyway, Chris, I wish you best of luck.

P.S. Downloaded that PDF and enjoyed it a lot. Even decided to do a bit of B&W myself in the near future. See? You're already changing this world a bit...

And that's my intent: people like you. I want to keep inspiring folks. We need to drive a hard difference between "photography" and "Photography" in this world. And that's my intent.

philaitman

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 11:48:55 am »

I find the fringe magazines have the best content Lenswork and Adore Noir being good examples. So you've got my $10 pledge. Good luck.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »

I find the fringe magazines have the best content Lenswork and Adore Noir being good examples. So you've got my $10 pledge. Good luck.

Thanks. If I get the funding then I can build something larger than both.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up