Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris Gampat - Featured Article May 12  (Read 10688 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Chris Gampat - Featured Article May 12
« on: May 12, 2016, 11:08:54 am »

Kevin Raber and Chris Gampat,

Thank you, thank you. Chris is an inspiration to all of us. What an amazing life story and determination to rise above hardship and create such a wonderful resource for the photographic community. Chris, I downloaded the first issue of your new La Noir Image e-magazine. I think the content and the presentation are excellent. Your taste in the selection of photographers and photograph excels and serves to remind us of how powerful a medium black and white photography can be. I have contributed to your Kickstarter initiative and I highly recommend that other site members do likewise. There are only several weeks remaining in the campaign and a fair bit is needed to reach the goal post. This deserves to succeed.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:19:04 am by Mark D Segal »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ChrisGampat

Re: Chris Gampat - Featured Article May 12
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 12:17:17 pm »

Thanks Mark. I really appreciate your kind words and I also hope that this is successful.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »

Link to article/issue, please?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »

It's today's featured article on the front page of the website.

James Clark

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:37 pm »

Hey Chris -

As someone who started his first company at 27, I know the road you're on, and I just want to say congratulations, good luck, and great work so far!   You obviously already have a feel for the highs, the lows and the responsibilities and burdens that come with taking responsibility not just for yourself, but for your employees and their families.  Just keep on even in the worst days and you'll look back in the end and be deservingly proud of your work and what you built.  Congrats, and good luck with the kickstarter!

ChrisGampat

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

Hey Chris -

As someone who started his first company at 27, I know the road you're on, and I just want to say congratulations, good luck, and great work so far!   You obviously already have a feel for the highs, the lows and the responsibilities and burdens that come with taking responsibility not just for yourself, but for your employees and their families.  Just keep on even in the worst days and you'll look back in the end and be deservingly proud of your work and what you built.  Congrats, and good luck with the kickstarter!

I appreciate your words James. Thanks a bunch.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition

landscapephoto

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 02:52:16 am »

I'd hate to criticise, but do we really need yet another online magazine devoted to black and white photography? I already new about Lenswork and Monovisions.com and, following your article, I had the curiosity to search on the iTunes store for "magazine black white". Included is a screen shot.

Here is also a link to a list of online magazines (not all Black and White), for your browser: http://www.fstopmagazine.com/links.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 03:03:13 am by landscapephoto »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:44 am »

This is art and who's to say how much is too much. There is a huge amount of talent out there to be tapped and depending on the quality, the more the merrier. There is no question of "need". If a new initiative is bringing new artistic production of merit to the public mind, that is to be encouraged.

ChrisGampat

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 01:26:16 pm »

I'd hate to criticise, but do we really need yet another online magazine devoted to black and white photography? I already new about Lenswork and Monovisions.com and, following your article, I had the curiosity to search on the iTunes store for "magazine black white". Included is a screen shot.

Here is also a link to a list of online magazines (not all Black and White), for your browser: http://www.fstopmagazine.com/links.html

Mine is going to work just like an app and interface very much like the BJP. It's going to be a completely different experience. Also, I don't think that there are many that embrace the newer school of artists out there.

landscapephoto

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 01:54:53 pm »

Mine is going to work just like an app and interface very much like the BJP. It's going to be a completely different experience.

You mean it will interface like the BJP web site? I find that interface neither pretty nor practical.

Also, I don't think that there are many that embrace the newer school of artists out there.

I find the opposite to be true. With the glut of "online magazines" on the Internet, the new ones are desperate to try to reach untapped readers by publishing fringe photographers.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

I find the opposite to be true. With the glut of "online magazines" on the Internet, the new ones are desperate to try to reach untapped readers by publishing fringe photographers.

And just what is a "fringe photographer"? And if a number of these so-called "fringe photographers" are producing excellent work, do they not deserve to be published? Did the non-fringe photographers come out of the womb that way, or did they start off being "fringe" - perhaps for quite a while - before they hit mainstream and became household names? Thank goodness there are people willing to publish the quality work of these so-called "fringe photographers".

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 04:00:26 pm »

I'd hate to criticise…

Uh…yeah.

Personally I'm always up for seeing new work via curated publications, print or online. Bring it on!

-Dave-

landscapephoto

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 05:09:04 pm »

I think we are not quite understanding each others.

What I meant is that there are already many, many online photography available and on all sorts of subjects. More than what the market is able to sustain, actually: quite a few of them seem to find it difficult to survive.

Under these circumstances I fail to see how a further one could survive. I would love to be proven wrong, of course.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 05:56:54 pm »

I think we are not quite understanding each others.

What I meant is that there are already many, many online photography available and on all sorts of subjects. More than what the market is able to sustain, actually: quite a few of them seem to find it difficult to survive.

Under these circumstances I fail to see how a further one could survive. I would love to be proven wrong, of course.

Entrepreneurship and vision are all about taking risks and doing one's best to make the ventures succeed. Failure to see how one could survive and waiting to be proven wrong are recipes for keep-back and non-achievement. Ask any successful businessman whether they embarked on a venture with this kind of attitude and I can guarantee you what the answer would be. The world is a crowded place - there is very little that hasn't been done before and often by many people, but that has never prevented fresh initiatives from succeeding if they bring something attractive to the table that makes an impression with the public. I have no doubt Chris understands the environment he's working in and knows what's out there. Any sensible person would find this necessary before going to all the effort involved in such a venture.

landscapephoto

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 01:49:17 am »

I have no doubt Chris understands the environment he's working in and knows what's out there. Any sensible person would find this necessary before going to all the effort involved in such a venture.

What made me write what I posted in this thread is that the article starts with: The community for providing photography based internet content is rather small. The opposite is actually true: there is a glut of web sites "providing photography based internet content".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 09:16:01 am »

What made me write what I posted in this thread is that the article starts with: The community for providing photography based internet content is rather small. The opposite is actually true: there is a glut of web sites "providing photography based internet content".

Well, I did say the World is a crowded place, and yes you have a point, there are gazillions of websites providing photographic content. That is plain for any one to see. If Chris cares to comment on what he meant by that statement of course he can speak for himself, but I suspect he had in mind the specific kind of content and presentation he is developing.

I'm not going to sustain an argument on this matter, especially as I have a policy of not getting into forum arguments with screen names, but I'll just reinforce a perspective that Chris is probably at least as aware of the risks as you are, especially as he is actually doing it, and a positive attitude is probably more helpful all round.

landscapephoto

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 02:36:15 pm »

I'm not going to sustain an argument on this matter

That's good because I was starting to wonder why you seem so active in defending this project: you have written half the messages in this thread.

Telecaster

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 05:07:32 pm »

That's good because I was starting to wonder why you seem so active in defending this project: you have written half the messages in this thread.

Maybe Mark is just more willing to respond, and more patient in responding, than (at least some of) the rest of us.

Most endeavors—creative, business, whatever—fail. This isn't news. Knowing this: to come on like Debbie Downer or wish someone well? IMO only one of those options is worth doing.

-Dave-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up