Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Nikon Raw Histogram

(1/2) > >>

Steve48:
Over a year ago there was a rumor posted on this site that Nikon wouyld offer a RAW histogram firmware update to the D810. Whatever happened to this. Is it dead?

Dave Ellis:

--- Quote from: Steve48 on May 12, 2016, 05:58:46 am ---Over a year ago there was a rumor posted on this site that Nikon wouyld offer a RAW histogram firmware update to the D810. Whatever happened to this. Is it dead?

--- End quote ---

I think it turned out to be an elaborate hoax!
(The rumour that is, not the post on this site)

Dave

Cornfield:
A raw histogram is long overdue and is surprising the big manufacturers have not produced one yet.  The method used by Lloyd Chambers to amend a jpeg profile works with practice.

stamper:
In my experience if the jpeg histogram shows signs of clipping then there is about a 2/3 of stop of underexposure compared with the raw histogram in Raw Viewer.

Rob C:
Funny thing: when I first bought a digital camera, I coldn't stop looking at that little screen at the back. Now, several years down the line, I never look at it unless I'm working off a tripod - rarely - or in a very contre-jour situation, when I also switch off auto ISO. Beyond that, it seems relatively pointless, what with Nikon's Matrix being so damned good.

With film, my best (and constant) passive companion was a Weston Master with Invercone.

I would find a RAW version as underused as the existing versions. I have concluded that most of the time, these things just get in the way of what you imagine you are doing. Confidence...

Rob C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version