Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethical posting  (Read 15645 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Ethical posting
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2016, 01:54:30 pm »

My initial reaction was it was a medical condition. I accept it could be seen as poor taste hence the reason for the post. Wondering about the ethics.

The person who took the photo said it appeared to be a medical condition...not sure why all the debate about whether he is on the phone.

To me the best street photos are of people who agree to having their photo taken...who are willing to let you take their photo. They make themselves vulnerable to your camera - not a victim of it.

Sharon

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »

The person who took the photo said it appeared to be a medical condition...not sure why all the debate about whether he is on the phone.

To me the best street photos are of people who agree to having their photo taken...who are willing to let you take their photo. They make themselves vulnerable to your camera - not a victim of it.

Sharon

Nice distinction...

Rob C

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2016, 07:11:07 pm »

I'd agree that the photo should not embarrass its subjects in any way. But as to the "willingness"... I'm afraid it's quite the opposite is true for me; I prefer street photos where the subjects are completely unaware of the image being taken.

One of my all-time favorites:

I fail to see how these guys could be "willing to let" Mel DiGiacomo take their photo; they are so busy with themselves...

pearlstreet

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 08:57:11 pm »

That is good.

This is one I like - http://www.shorpy.com/node/195?size=_original#caption

And I love Vivian Maier's work. She connected with her subjects.  I find it most interesting what people reveal about themselves.

stamper

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2016, 03:27:35 am »

Sharon

Most street photographers probably don't talk or interact with the public. Personally I don't. I am looking for something natural. Ideally a street photographer would be invisible but not because he/she is wanting to be furtive, just not part of the scene.

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2016, 04:20:10 am »

I find that so-called street photography has the propensity to draw even more pretentious claims for itself than art photography. Maybe art photographers are a more sophisticated lot: they realise the fragility of the ground they tread, smile when they are ahead and stay shtum on the inner workings of their minds, playing that down and shrouding it in smiles...

After a long connection with photography, I conclude that one's best moments come from technical preparedness, which means a little bit of understanding of how to set up the machine, and one helluva lot of good luck. Without the good fortune, there's nothing. And I don't care who you think you are: it's the ground rule of the game.

If you spend the required time paying your dues to those Atlases of the past, you won't find one who doesn't admit to the factor of luck. Genius can afford to be modest.

Rob
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up