Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethical posting  (Read 15646 times)

stamper

Ethical posting
« on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:26 am »

I posted the image to Flickr with the caption Breakneck Speed. I thought about not posting because it looked like I was mocking the person? It seemed to be well received but one person commented that he looked deformed which I agree with. Does anyone agree that it is mocking and unethical or it was "reasonable" to post it? Where do you draw the line when taking images and posting them to Flickr or other sites?

brianrybolt

Re: Ethical posting
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:12:54 am »

My first impression when I saw your photo was that this was an 'easy meat' shot.  I changed my mind quickly when I spent some time with the image.  I now find the shot rather empty of meaning - it doesn't bring me any new information about him or the world in which we live - just that he might have a medical problem with his neck down the line.  I would not go so far as saying your photo is unethical, just not very interesting.
Brian

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 05:14:56 am »

As you ask, I certainly would never have thought of shooting it.

Whether the guy's actually deformed or not, it's just plain ugly. What were you thinking?

Rob C

philaitman

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:37:00 am »

The quality of the image aside, I would say the person is not physically impaired in any way, he's juggling a jacket and trying to hold a phone between his shoulder and his ear, that's enough to make anyone look a bit odd when a moment is frozen in time. It's a common enough sight on any city street and certainly not indicative of anyone having a disability, except maybe a disability which  symptoms are being unable to stop moving for just a minute to hold their phone properly.

This image says one thing to me, Slow down, stop and do things properly or you'll look like a fool.

stamper

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:27 am »

The quality of the image aside, I would say the person is not physically impaired in any way, he's juggling a jacket and trying to hold a phone between his shoulder and his ear, that's enough to make anyone look a bit odd when a moment is frozen in time. It's a common enough sight on any city street and certainly not indicative of anyone having a disability, except maybe a disability which  symptoms are being unable to stop moving for just a minute to hold their phone properly.

This image says one thing to me, Slow down, stop and do things properly or you'll look like a fool.

Do you practice street photography? That is not what you do. If you did then you wouldn't get images at all. Not sure what the fool bit is about. :-\

stamper

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 06:03:57 am »

As you ask, I certainly would never have thought of shooting it.

Whether the guy's actually deformed or not, it's just plain ugly. What were you thinking?

Rob C

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder? Street photography isn't about beauty,it is about finding quirky and unusual images imo. You have stated in the past that you don't like someone taking an image of you in public? Perhaps I now know why. :(

stamper

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:02 am »

My first impression when I saw your photo was that this was an 'easy meat' shot.  I changed my mind quickly when I spent some time with the image.  I now find the shot rather empty of meaning - it doesn't bring me any new information about him or the world in which we live - just that he might have a medical problem with his neck down the line.  I would not go so far as saying your photo is unethical, just not very interesting.
Brian

How is it possible that I could bring you any information about a stranger that I have never met. The meaning of the image to me is about people relaxing but there is one person that is rushing about. Typical of modern life? Then again if you have to explain it, it doesn't work.

philaitman

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:27 am »

Do you practice street photography? That is not what you do. If you did then you wouldn't get images at all. Not sure what the fool bit is about. :-\

Apologies Stamper in the whole line you've bolded I was referring to the subject, he is looking like a fool not the photographer :) I should have made that clearer.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 06:14:45 am by philaitman »

stamper

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 06:21:58 am »

Apologies Stamper in the whole line you've bolded I was referring to the subject, he is looking like a fool not the photographer :) I should have made that clearer.

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:28 am »

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

philaitman's original message was also pretty clear to me. Maybe that's because my own interpretation of the image almost exactly matched his.

stamper, do you yourself interpret the image differently, not how philaitman described it? Judged by the title, it seems like no, but what do I know... Somehow, you managed to misinterpret his reply.

Speaking of the question in the OP, I see nothing wrong with posting this image.

P.S. Lots of surprising answers in this thread...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 08:47:12 am »

I immediately saw it as someone trying to hold a phone, so I didn't really have a problem. There remains the issue of invasion of privacy... but of course I always see that more in someone else's photos than in mine  ;)

I would hope that street photography is about more than finding what is quirky or unusual, but rather something that communicates a feeling or impression. That seems to be happening here with a story about the modern need to be doing 3 things at once, whatever the physical and mental consequences.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:12:35 am »

It's pretty clear what's going on, Robert. But I commend your concern. It's a concern I always have too, and I have a number of what I consider to be fine street shots I won't post or display for that very reason. Pictures of hoboes and the mentally disturbed are particularly prone to that defect.

I think Graham's point is right on the money. Although there are several books that seem to think street photography is about the quirky or unusual, anyone who's studied the masters of street understands that it's not a "gotcha" exercise. There has to be a there there -- something that informs you about the human condition (to use a wretched cliché).

But in the US there's no concern about invasion of privacy. If you're in a public place the law says you have no expectation of privacy. Looking at the photographs of Kertesz, Chim, Doisneau, Ronis, Brassai, and Riboud, it's clear that used to be the case in France. A pity it no longer is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 09:36:28 am »

Ugliness is in the eye of the beholder? Street photography isn't about beauty,it is about finding quirky and unusual images imo. You have stated in the past that you don't like someone taking an image of you in public? Perhaps I now know why. :(

What gives, stamper?

You ask an open question on an open forum, and then react with defensive indignation when you don't like the responses.

No wonder I seldom offer comment on your pictures.

Rob C

Endeavour

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53:33 pm »

I find all street photography intrusive and offensive

pearlstreet

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 04:08:18 pm »

It's an ungenerous photograph. I wouldn't post it.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 04:12:25 pm »

Best to stay off the street then.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:33 pm »

P.S. Lots of surprising answers in this thread...

And here is another one...  :o

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:22 pm »

I immediately thought he was holding a phone too. Looks awkward.

I find most street shots pretty uninteresting and this one falls into that category for me too. I'll be the the first to admit I don't really get it (or I must not since people who do get it seem to like the genre). Every now and then one really grabs me but that is probably less than 1% of what I see. Occasionally a very well-composed street shot comes along that does tell an interesting story so maybe I'm just too picky. I've tried my hand at it and also felt like my photos were pretty boring but I just don't have the tolerance for conflict that I would probably need to get better shots.
-MattB

Rand47

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:17:45 pm »

Hello...

If you didn't see this person in a "normal upright" attitude at some point in his "walk" - it may have been this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/dystonia/article.htm

I have a friend with dystonia and his symptoms are neck muscle pull into an almost exact position as the fellow in your photo. 

On the other hand, you may have just caught a fully functional person in a "juggling six things at once posture." But from the shape of his jawline and mouth and the radical lift of the right shoulder, I'm inclined to think dystonia.

I like some street photography, but would agree with another poster that this is gratuitously ungenerous.  I wouldn't have taken it, or posted it.  Then again, I'm sensitive to people who have disabilities like this and whether this "is one" or not it "mocks" from my life experience.  Not intended as criticism, only attempting to share another perspective.

Rand
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:23:26 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:29 am »

...This image says one thing to me, Slow down, stop and do things properly or you'll look like a fool.

Stamper, your response says one thing to me. Slow down, stop and READ things properly or you'll look like a fool. :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up