Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing Presets - SP9900  (Read 1135 times)

Garnick

Printing Presets - SP9900
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:16:25 pm »

Hello all,

I've been using printing presets for many years, but having issues with new ones I've created for the past couple of years.  I'm using the 9900 on Mac OS X 10.9.5.  I'm also including a screenshot of the preset drop down menu to illustrate my point.  Please notice the horizontal line between the 9900-EnhMatte preset and the ones above it.  It would seem that for some reason the presets above that line are not holding the information I have entered to the same degree as the presets below the line.  As an example, I recently had to create a couple more presets and one of the CPN presets moved above the line.  Since then the CPN preset is not working as it did before the move.  I'm sure there's a rational explanation for this rather annoying behavior, but I cannot seem to find any answers myself.  If I create a preset while a custom paper size has been loaded the preset information changes when I choose another paper size.  I hope some of this explanation makes sense and that someone might have an answer.

Gary   
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:27:39 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

LGeb

Re: Printing Presets - SP9900
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:30 pm »

Is this possibly related to the choice to save to only this printer or all printers? Maybe all printers only stores the common info?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 04:35:23 pm »

Is this possibly related to the choice to save to only this printer or all printers? Maybe all printers only stores the common info?
Yes this is the difference.  OS X can isolate presets for a specific printer if you choose.  Those presets will only show up if that printer is selected.  Any presets saved for all printers will show up all of the time. I believe the ones above the line are those only for the printer selected, those below the line are available no matter which printer is selected.

One additional note that may not apply to the OP, but for those interested if printing from lightroom it is better to never use OS X’s printer presets but to leave it at the ‘default setting’, and store all of the choices of the two dialog boxes with a Lightroom preset.  Lightroom can store all settings within the two printer dialog boxes in it’s own preset perfectly, except for a OS X preset chosen in the Print Settings dialog box.  Then all bets are off.  I’ve been doing it long enough that printing for me has moved to a 2 click process, click the preset, click the print button. Occasionally I have to change the rendering intent or the output sharpening amount.

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 06:08:18 am »

"One additional note that may not apply to the OP, but for those interested if printing from lightroom it is better to never use OS X’s printer presets but to leave it at the ‘default setting’, and store all of the choices of the two dialog boxes with a Lightroom preset.  Lightroom can store all settings within the two printer dialog boxes in it’s own preset perfectly, except for a OS X preset chosen in the Print Settings dialog box.  Then all bets are off.  I’ve been doing it long enough that printing for me has moved to a 2 click process, click the preset, click the print button. Occasionally I have to change the rendering intent or the output sharpening amount."
[/quote]
Very interesting ! Can you clarify a bit more ,please, how you can create a printing preset into Lr?
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »

Very interesting ! Can you clarify a bit more ,please, how you can create a printing preset into Lr?
Printing presets are actually labeled "templates" in Lightroom. Once you get everything setup to make a print, if it's something that you do frequently you can click the + symbol in the Template Browser and add a printing preset or template.  Everything you have set in the page setup and print settings dialog box, as well as all of the Lightroom parameters on the right side of the window can be stored in this preset ... except for the use of a macintosh OS preset inside the print settings dialog box.  To make the template reliable, you need to leave that set to "Default Settings". (Here's a quick video I did which shows this a little more clearly ... again as far as I know, this is a Mac OS issue only)

George Marinos

• http://WWW.IDOLOLAB.GR
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 09:21:59 am »

Thank you very much!
George Marinos
http://www.idololab.gr/
Fine art Photolab
Athens,Greece

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:04:02 pm »

Yes this is the difference.  OS X can isolate presets for a specific printer if you choose.  Those presets will only show up if that printer is selected.  Any presets saved for all printers will show up all of the time. I believe the ones above the line are those only for the printer selected, those below the line are available no matter which printer is selected.

One additional note that may not apply to the OP, but for those interested if printing from lightroom it is better to never use OS X’s printer presets but to leave it at the ‘default setting’, and store all of the choices of the two dialog boxes with a Lightroom preset.  Lightroom can store all settings within the two printer dialog boxes in it’s own preset perfectly, except for a OS X preset chosen in the Print Settings dialog box.  Then all bets are off.  I’ve been doing it long enough that printing for me has moved to a 2 click process, click the preset, click the print button. Occasionally I have to change the rendering intent or the output sharpening amount.

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for the reply.  I was beginning to think no one had experienced this, since I had only one reply.  I wasn't certain that I had interpreted you reply correctly, since all of the presets show(both above and below the line) when I have chosen the 9900.  I was pretty sure I had saved all of them for the 9900 only, but I just selected an existing preset from below the line and saved it again for the 9900 only, in which case it of course adds the number "1" to the title.  It did indeed save above the line.  I did the same procedure again and saved for all printers.  This time it was saved below the line, very interesting.  I assume I must have saved all of the previous(initial) presets for all printers, even though I was sure I had not done that.  This little experiment seems to have proven my memory lapse once again --- no surprise.  Of course I will not know if this mode of saving presets will fix the issue I was referring to initially, but I will definitely give it a try tomorrow at work and offer my findings here.  Also leave a BIG note to myself concerning the proper procedure.  After all of these years it would seem that I have learned that recently I've been saving presets in the wrong manner.  Hopefully this will indeed fix it.

Thanks to LGeb as well, although at that point I wasn't at all certain that would have made any difference, and why the presets would not have saved all of the information.  Wayne added his explanation and after trying it here at home I think that may have been the problem.  Time will tell. 

Gary         

Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up