Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for locations close to Naples (Italy)  (Read 1809 times)

dreed

Recommendations for locations close to Naples (Italy)
« on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:07 am »

In late September I've been given the chance to visit Naples, Italy. My usual approach of using Google Earth or Panoramio for inspiration isn't working very well for me at this area :( Do any of the LuLa readers have any recommendations on where to go for worthwhile landscapes (or cityscapes?) in that area?

Does the coastline (which seems hard to get to) work well?
Yes, Mt Volcano is there, but that's somewhat dead now?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Recommendations for locations close to Naples (Italy)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 08:07:21 am »

Consider Campi Flegrei, in the western suburbs. It's also volcanic and still bubbling. Try the Vulcano Solfatara in Pozzuoli.

The Amalfi Coast is easy to visit. Ferry from Naples to Sorrento, bus to Positano which makes a good base and then use the bus for exploring the coast (Fiordo di Furore is interesting).

The Greek temples at Paestum aren't too far away, and there's always Pompeii.

Around Naples itself, Spaccanapoli, or Vomero for good views over the bay and for the cloisters of San Martino.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:15:05 am by john beardsworth »

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:12:52 am »

John's list is excellent.  I would add Herculaneum to it, which almost looks like an early 20th century resort town/fishing village and is much less busy than overcrowded Pompeii.  It's amazing to see how well some people lived 2000 years ago (running hot water for instance).  Where would we be today if we had not lost 1000 years to the middle ages?

stingray

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:21:54 am »

I would also recommend Paestrum.

Here is a taster ..... summer storms building up during a very hot afternoon.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattflickrstuff/26611705394/in/dateposted-public/

brianrybolt

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 05:04:23 am »

John's list is excellent.  I would add Herculaneum to it, which almost looks like an early 20th century resort town/fishing village and is much less busy than overcrowded Pompeii.  It's amazing to see how well some people lived 2000 years ago (running hot water for instance).  Where would we be today if we had not lost 1000 years to the middle ages?
Herculaneum is EXCELLENT.  Easy train ride from Naples.
Pages: [1]   Go Up