Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 - Paper Feed Error from Sheet Feeder  (Read 5342 times)

pflower

Epson 3880 - Paper Feed Error from Sheet Feeder
« on: May 10, 2016, 01:54:50 pm »

Suddenly my Epson 3880 has started to refuse to take paper from the sheet feeder.  When i send the file to the printer I simply get the usual Paper Error Message on the lcd.  The down arrow button which is supposed to load the paper is completely dead and does nothing.  At first cancelling the print job cleared the error message and a second try would succeed, but now it simply gives the error message all of the time.  The strange, and to my mind rather worrying thing, is that the printer makes no effort to load the paper i.e. it doesn't start to load the paper and then provide the error message.  The error message comes before the printer starts to attempt to take the paper from the feeder.  I send the file to the printer and there is no noise from the printer as it would normally start to load the paper and then encounter an error.  There is just complete silence and the error message. 

Presumably there is some kind of sensor attached to the sheet feeder?  But why is it engaged before the printer tries to load the paper?  I fear the worst.  But at least it prints happily from the rear feeder.  I don't mind using the rear feeder for A3 and above (and indeed would only use it for A2) but it is a bit of a pain with A4 sheets.

Anyone with any similar experience or suggestions?  The printer is probably 2 1/2 years old, out of warranty, has been relatively lightly used and has performed flawlessly from new.  Is this a sign of the end of it?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 3880 - Paper Feed Error from Sheet Feeder
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:43:24 pm »

Have you called Epson ProGraphics Tech Support - in or out of warranty they will give you free advice over the telephone.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:43:18 pm »

As Mark suggested, definitely call Epson.

If I were to theorize (ie. wild guess), I'd think that some sensor (optical or otherwise) that senses paper in the sheet feeder has either gone bad or is covered in paper dust.  I would think the button doesn't work becuase the printer doesn't think there is paper inserted.  I'll take a peek at the service manual and see if can shed some light (no pun intended) on the problem.

Given your problem statement, I take it that the top 'auto' feed mechanism performs OK?

pflower

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »

I simply do not understand this but.... Serendipity happens.  Someone I hadn't spoken to in 3 years called shortly after I posted this  and I explained my immediate frustration to him.  I had no idea that he knew about Epson printers but his response was to change the Paper Feed Adjustment slider.  I have absolutely no idea what that does but I tried it - reduced in the Epson print dialog by -4 (which equates to 0.01%) and now I have put through 5 prints without problem.  I did some googling but still can't understand what that adjustment does and I will certainly call Epson tomorrow to discuss.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:10:51 pm »

It adjusts how much rotation the feed mechanism does per-pass, which of course translates into how much paper is fed in per-pass.  Why that fixed your problem, I have no idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up