Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Formula change for Epson Exhibition Fiber paper  (Read 7825 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Formula change for Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:49:36 am »

WHY WHY WHY would a company change the makeup of a particular paper? Well, Epson did just that. I don't print much color, but when I do, I've been using Exhibition Fiber for the past few years. I was told that they changed their manufacturer. If that is the case, why wouldn't THEY control the makeup of the product. occur when Epson came out with their "Signature" line of papers.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement paper? I would like the same surface texture (as the old Exhibition Fiber), the same whiteness, and it needs to be archival. Oh .. and I do not want a paper that makes use of optical brighteners.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Formula change for Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:15:05 am »

............ Oh .. and I do not want a paper that makes use of optical brighteners.

This paper always had OBAs.

A good replacement would be Epson Legacy Baryta, Ilford Golde Fibre Silk, Canson Baryta Photographique and several of the Hahnemuhle products of similar ilk (a couple I'll be reviewing anon). Lots of choice out there. I should add: The Ilford has small amounts of OBA, the Epson Legacy has none. Hahn Fine Art Baryta Satin has none. Canson, I'm not sure.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:05:06 pm »

This paper always had OBAs.

A good replacement would be Epson Legacy Baryta, Ilford Golde Fibre Silk, Canson Baryta Photographique and several of the Hahnemuhle products of similar ilk (a couple I'll be reviewing anon). Lots of choice out there. I should add: The Ilford has small amounts of OBA, the Epson Legacy has none. Hahn Fine Art Baryta Satin has none. Canson, I'm not sure.
As Ernst says, EEF, while a beautiful paper, was one of the poorest performers in tests because of the OBA’s. As to why the change, I am puzzled as well, because the newest box I’m using certainly is substantially different than the old.  Less gloss, more of a semi matte sheen and less/little texture.

As to why it changed, I have some older EEF that for many images cannot be printed on a p9000 ... the gloss differential issue in very dark regions causes severe blotchy patches.  The new paper appears  similar to the blotchy patterns in the old paper.  Strangely the p800 doesn’t show these issues, but something in the new inkset may have triggered the change. 

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if EEF is discontinued in the near future in light of the new Legacy papers.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »

As Ernst says, EEF, while a beautiful paper, was one of the poorest performers in tests because of the OBA’s.

An observation based on the thorough testing done by Mark McCormick at Aardenburg-Imaging.Com. The OBAs fluorescence effect did not just disappear but a color stain in the paper white appeared as well. Worst paper white shift of any paper measured by Aardenburg if I recall it correctly.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:26:53 pm by Ernst Dinkla »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:30 pm »

Ernst, where is your message?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:28:27 pm »

Ernst, where is your message?

I had no message in this thread so far and the one I just wrote appeared too fast.

MHMG

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 07:22:24 pm »

An observation based on the thorough testing done by Mark McCormick at Aardenburg-Imaging.Com. The OBAs fluorescence effect did not just disappear but a color stain in the paper white appeared as well. Worst paper white shift of any paper measured by Aardenburg if I recall it correctly.

Ernst pretty well summed it up.  Perhaps Aardenburg's independently performed testing which revealed such a poor outcome for the original EEF, coinciding with the unfortunate choice of marketing such a non archival paper as both "Exhibition" and "signature worthy" finally convinced Epson management that a serious reformulation of the product was overdue.  I'd certainly like to believe this had something to do with it, but other business transactions could have caused it, too.  I have no insider knowledge why Epson actually enacted the change to this product.

That said, it's about time. With any luck Epson has resolved the yellow staining problem that went well beyond mere high OBA content loss of fluorescence, and yet once again Epson stumbles by not renaming the new formulation "Exhibition Fiber II" or something similar so that buyers will know the product is "new and improved" (hopefully) :-[   Precedent for acknowledging reformulations exists in many well known product brand names. Fuji, for example, improved the fade resistance of it's original Fuji Crystal Archive chromogenic color paper, and renamed it Crystal Archive II. The roman numeral II on the box clearly delineated the new and improved paper from the older version.

Without a name change or "new and improved" sticker on the box, I will now have to try to identify some of this new stock for another round of light fade testing, but I  will still be guessing somewhat whether I"m actually purchasing new or old stock unless the changes to the product are indeed as obvious to me as they were to the OP.

cheers,
Mark
http://ww.aardenburg-imaging.com

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:17:59 pm »

What a waste of time. They just hired Felix Schoeller and Canson to make them excellent products. Why do they need that inferior media anymore?

john

Ernst pretty well summed it up.  Perhaps Aardenburg's independently performed testing which revealed such a poor outcome for the original EEF, coinciding with the unfortunate choice of marketing such a non archival paper as both "Exhibition" and "signature worthy" finally convinced Epson management that a serious reformulation of the product was overdue.  I'd certainly like to believe this had something to do with it, but other business transactions could have caused it, too.  I have no insider knowledge why Epson actually enacted the change to this product.

That said, it's about time. With any luck Epson has resolved the yellow staining problem that went well beyond mere high OBA content loss of fluorescence, and yet once again Epson stumbles by not renaming the new formulation "Exhibition Fiber II" or something similar so that buyers will know the product is "new and improved" (hopefully) :-[   Precedent for acknowledging reformulations exists in many well known product brand names. Fuji, for example, improved the fade resistance of it's original Fuji Crystal Archive chromogenic color paper, and renamed it Crystal Archive II. The roman numeral II on the box clearly delineated the new and improved paper from the older version.

Without a name change or "new and improved" sticker on the box, I will now have to try to identify some of this new stock for another round of light fade testing, but I  will still be guessing somewhat whether I"m actually purchasing new or old stock unless the changes to the product are indeed as obvious to me as they were to the OP.

cheers,
Mark
http://ww.aardenburg-imaging.com

MHMG

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:45 pm »

What a waste of time. They just hired Felix Schoeller and Canson to make them excellent products. Why do they need that inferior media anymore?

john

If it is a total chemistry overhaul of the previous product, then Epson may indeed be using new "strategic partners" to produce the reformulated EEF.  Once Ernst gets ahold of a sample of the new EEF version, I'll bet his spectrum plots will give us some insight there!

Keeping the original name is most likely just a calculated marketing decision...a pretty lame one, IMHO, but then Epson doesn't ask my advice in these matters  ;).   Judging from the many positive comments about the original EEF here on LULA and elsewhere, EEF seems to be be a very popular product for Epson.  The original EEF's initial bright white appearance combined with high Dmax properties pleased many printmakers who either don't care about print longevity, believe the questionable WIR longevity rating for the original EEF version, or are simply otherwise unaware of its non archival properties.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:42:47 am »

If it is a total chemistry overhaul of the previous product, then Epson may indeed be using new "strategic partners" to produce the reformulated EEF.  Once Ernst gets ahold of a sample of the new EEF version, I'll bet his spectrum plots will give us some insight there!

Keeping the original name is most likely just a calculated marketing decision...a pretty lame one, IMHO, but then Epson doesn't ask my advice in these matters  ;).   Judging from the many positive comments about the original EEF here on LULA and elsewhere, EEF seems to be be a very popular product for Epson.  The original EEF's initial bright white appearance combined with high Dmax properties pleased many printmakers who either don't care about print longevity, believe the questionable WIR longevity rating for the original EEF version, or are simply otherwise unaware of its non archival properties.

cheers,
Mark

As written already in this thread it might be hard to find the new formula paper among distributors right now or the OP could send two A5s to me. Then another question is raised; in the EU the paper is called Epson Traditional Photo Paper and will that get a new formula/manufacturer too?

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 07:14:09 am »

If Epson has, indeed, reformulated EEF - without a corresponding tweak to the name - it also begs the question of which profile to use.

It seems unlikely that any such serious reformulation would render optimally with the old profile.

I look forward to any further light Ernst and Mark might be able to shed...

MHMG

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 09:14:59 am »

I agree with Ernst. If changes were indeed made, then it will take some time to clear old stock and bring in new. If Epson has changed the package design (hopefully the OP can weigh in on the this aspect), then even though the name hasn't changed, it would be another easy way to spot the new stock on the shelves or online once dealers update their photos of the product.  It all takes time.

In the meantime, I hesitate to go buy some EEF today, as I have no way of knowing for the time being whether it will be the new or old version. If the OP can tell us where the new batch was purchased, this would help me locate the new version sooner rather than later.  I will jump this new EEF paper to the head of the line in my light fastness studies as it will be important to learn about the new media whitepoint properties.

Also, I concur with Ernst that EEF is called "Traditional Fiber" in Europe, and thus there may be different inventory roll outs to this product in Europe versus the US. Would also be good to confirm at some point whether the US and European versions are one and the same. They were with the original EEF-TF stock.  Ernst can help with that ;D

cheers,
Mark

MHMG

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:02 am »

OK, I just checked BHphoto and see that the packaging is indeed different than the EEF packaging I have seen before.  Unfortunately, I only saw the sample pack that was handed out at Photo Plus East trade show when EEF was first introduced. It was all white with blue lettering and no image. The newest packaging is mainly black with gold lettering and an image on the front.  I haven't purchased any in recent years, so I have no idea when Epson redesigned the product packaging to the appearance I see now listed on the BHphoto website.  Hence, it's not a good indicator for me whether the paper inside is old or new stock. Maybe someone can weigh in on when the EEF packaging went from white to black :)

best,
Mark

howardm

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 09:49:25 am »

They changed over from that pretty basic blue/red on white packaging something like 3-4 years ago from what I recall.  I have some old VFA in that packaging but new(er) HPB in the better, more upscale packaging.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 10:26:58 am »

The OBAs fluorescence effect did not just disappear but a color stain in the paper white appeared as well.
Not an at all unusual side effect of OBAs. Did Epson change their ICC profiles too? The one's we (Pixel Genius) built haven’t.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 10:51:38 am »

Not an at all unusual side effect of OBAs. Did Epson change their ICC profiles too? The one's we (Pixel Genius) built haven’t.

We know and there is that other OBA related effect "LILIS" Mark described several times. But in the Aardenburg tests the EEF shows the OBA related staining the most. I expect the same for several ordinary inkjet papers that were never tested + the EEF had the Signature Worthy label so asked for a test. Where is that pen with ink that fades faster :-)

MHMG

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:31 am »

Where is that pen with ink that fades faster :-)

;D ;D ;D

deanwork

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:54 pm »

One of the problems that the various paper manufacturers have when they release what I would call a defective media, one that will clearly exhibit issues down the road, they are going to have hundreds if not thousands of people out there who have started editions on these papers and don't want it to disappear. Hahnemuhle has faced the situation in the past where they have improved various kinds of media but people don't want them to pull what is already in use all over the world for various bodies of work. Then they have to keep producing all the variations that may or may not be popular. But unlike Hahnemuhle, the Epson products have often really needed to come off the market. All they had to do with the EEF was to look at it under a black light to see that it was a disaster waiting to happen. That one should have never been released in the first place.

I think there is a place in the market for cheap, super bright, large gamut media for certain temporary applications, as long as it isn't expensive cheap media pretending to be something it isn't.

The other thing that puzzled me about that media was that there was nothing innovative about it in the first place. Innova had marketed Fiba Print gloss fiber media that had the same qualities many years before. And they had more than one nice surface for it. Yet like the EEF, it had so much oba that most of us quickly switched to Hahnemuhle and then added Canson. But that was a long time ago, like 10 years ago.

;D ;D ;D

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »

the packaging change predates the change in the paper. One of the boxes where I started having problems after installing my p9000 is new black box, and on my 9900 the prints are great, good gloss, nice subtle texture.  On the p9000 I get the blotchy gloss differential in the very dark tones. This is a box of 17x22” that could be a couple of years od (I’m not sure) but is in the new black packaging - I don’t print that size very often.

The new Box of EEF is packaged identically.  the profiles seem to work fine.  But the finished print has less texture and a little duller sheen ... I would describe it more as “satin” than I would gloss.  Certainly not as visually appealing (to me anyway, others may prefer it). Reminds me a little of the Gold Fibre Silk I used to use 5 or 6 years ago.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »

Glad to see that my post generated a lot of discussion. There's always a lot to be learned from these posts.

I use Museo Silver Rag for my B&W work. I like it's 'unbleached' tone and the DMAX that it provides, although I've experienced numerous problems with it during 2014-2015. Now that the product is under new ownership, they seem to have things under control. That said, I've seen the surface texture and gloss change ever so slightly over the years.

I found a box of 23x30 EEF in my storage area, so I'm set for awhile. That said, I want to move on to a better paper for my color work. As I said, I'm not keen on OBAs, so that narrows down the possibilities.

One gentleman suggested one of the following papers. Before ordering samples, feel free to weigh in on which you would look at ... pros/cons

• Epson Legacy Baryta (Legacy has no OBA)
• Ilford Golde Fibre Silk
• Canson Baryta Photographique
• Several of the Hahnemuhle products (Fine Art Baryta Satin has no OBA)
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up