• http://www.russ-lewis.com
FedEx
« on: May 09, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »

Here's one I should have sold to FedEx.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

Re: FedEx
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:21 am »

Russ I think you posted this one before, or something similar? If my ageing memory is correct then there was a discussion about the sign on the van....did it spoil the image, or not.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:09 am »

Now that is Landscape! with some kick!

Rob

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:46:40 am »

Modern life in the classic landscape… Well seen!
Francois

RSL

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 08:14:09 am »

Russ I think you posted this one before, or something similar? If my ageing memory is correct then there was a discussion about the sign on the van....did it spoil the image, or not.

It's possible, Robert. When I post something on LuLa I keep a copy in a file, and if I consider posting something old I check the file to see if I've already posted it. I might have failed to put the earlier copy into the posted file. It happens. As far as the sign on the truck is concerned, as is usual with successful landscape photography I got lucky with the light, and that's why I should have tried to sell this picture to FedEx. But I'm retired. Selling a photo is more work than I really want to engage in.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:02:23 am »

It generated about 4 pages and a flame war  ;)  Eric noted at the time that it was "truck of man". You were either leaving or returning to Colorado Springs. I remember thinking at the time it would be a great "Journeys" or "Traveler" Magazine sale. I think the usual "landscape is " stuff took over...

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »

ReplyQuote

I didn't take it that way, Dave.

My wife was driving and I was shooting.

No, street photography is documentary photography -- documenting people and their activities -- which, among other things, doesn't tell a complete story. "Ambiguous" is the word people use to differentiate street from normal documentary, photojournalism for instance, but "ambiguous" doesn't really describe the difference. To understand the difference you need to study the work of people like Henri Cartier-Bresson who didn't invent it, but who defined it with his surrealistic early photographs. Other street masters worth studying are Andre Kertesz, Robert Doisneau, Willy Ronis, Walker Evans, Elliott Erwitt, Marc Riboud, Helen Levitt, Robert Frank, Garry Winogrand, and Lee Friedlander to name just a few. Some of these people were photojournalists, and you have to distinguish between the documentary photography they did on the job and the street photography they did in their spare time.

Last year I wrote a couple short articles on the subject. Having spent years submitting poetry to "little magazines," with a fair amount of acceptance but with too much work, I never got serious about sending out the articles. I enjoyed writing them, but I don't really care that I can't read them in a magazine. They're at:

http://www.russ-lewis.com/essays/OnStreetPhotography.html

and

http://www.russ-lewis.com/essays/WhyDoStreetPhotography.html

But FedEx isn't street photography. It's highway photography, or, as Slobodan points out, actually landscape. That's fun too.
A common woman~

RSL

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:15:33 am »

Thanks, Patricia. That's the trouble with getting older. You forget more and more things. I just ran back through the stuff in the Posted folder for 2013, and it's not there, meaning I forgot to put a copy in the folder. Now that you're refreshed my memory I remember the discussion.

Well. . . Here it is again. This time it's in the Posted folder.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 10:19:37 am »

;)
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:52 pm »

Thanks, Patricia. That's the trouble with getting older. You forget more and more things. I just ran back through the stuff in the Posted folder for 2013, and it's not there, meaning I forgot to put a copy in the folder. Now that you're refreshed my memory I remember the discussion.

Well. . . Here it is again. This time it's in the Posted folder.

I used to run a little LuLa folder on the computer, too. Each shot I posted here would get registered for the same reason: not to bore the viewers. However, I eventually thought: the hell with filling my HD with all this junk! If I forget, with all my self-interest (and ego, as I'm reminded over and over), how is the casual viewer likely to have enough interest to remember? So, recently, I started to keep a little written list on a pad beside the computer, and when I post something with a snap, I write down the title. If I remember... ;-) I'm currently logged at 180.

This is all starting to feel like unpaid work.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 04:46:00 pm »

This is all starting to feel like unpaid work.

Rob

It's all by design...Think

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 05:11:44 pm »

It's all by design...Think

Peter

Is it possible? Do you mean somebody doesn't love me?

;-)

Just watched a bio on Doris Day. I certainly didn't give her the credit she deserved at the tme; what a wonderful, tuneful voice. As with Frank Sinatra and other torch singers, she could project without shouting, make you imagine she was right up close to you, whispering beautifully into your ear... I love R 'n' R too, but those old songs had meaning and message with which you could relate. So nice to feel relaxed, rather than jumping up and down too long.

Rob

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:39:25 am »

I used to run a little LuLa folder on the computer, too.

I apply a "lula" keyword in Lightroom. I hope one day to write something that will apply it to any photo I export using my lula preset, but so far learning how to do it is proving too time-consuming. I think it's worked so far: all I duplicate are my jokes.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up