Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Problems and New Printer Decision  (Read 9795 times)

howardm

Re: Epson 3880 Problems and New Printer Decision
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 10:53:47 am »

I've never seen/heard of any root cause analysis of the valve problem from the user community but it looks like there are multiple possible failure mechanisms.

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 01:08:49 pm »

Having investigated the variety of options over the last few days, here is want I've decided to do.

I looked into getting the part (ink supply system) and found several possible suppliers with pricing around $145.00 and with shipping would total about $200. Looking at the service the manual repair looks straight forward and doable but I have decided I cannot find justification with putting more money into a 5 year old printer.

I was already beginning to think about moving to the P800 even before this failure so that is want I have decided to do. I found the printer for $1149 and with the $300 of Epson rebates the net cost will be $849. I will continue to use the 3880 for Matte printing until my full set of ink runs out and then dispose of the 3880 at that time.

Best of luck to all having similar issues and decisions to make.

Roy

LGeb

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »

My old 3800 develop the dripping ink issue.  I replaced it with a 3880.
Question:  Has it been determined with any certainty that the ink drip problem is the result of:
A)  Too much MK-PK ink switching(the valve is poorly made, and fails from being used)
B)  Not enough MK-PK ink switching(the less-used ink...MK or PK... sludges up and cause clogging, then leaking)
Or...that..
C)Frequency of MK-PK ink switching has nothing to do with the ink drip failure.

I rarely switched inks. So my guess is either B or C. The fact that my MK ink continued to work (not leak) leads me to vote for option C, but I really haven't studied the mechanism to see if that makes sense.

LGeb

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »

LGeb... same situation with my 3880..considering piezo... does this use both matte and photo black stations?

It depends. I bought the version that does, but you can go MK, PK or both. I haven't done much MK printing. I probably should have saved a few bucks and installed flush in the MK channel. I'm now going to force myself to print some matte images since I worry about ink settling in the lines.

If you go with MK only I think you put flush in the PK and Gloss Optimizer lines.

LGeb

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 01:44:19 pm »

Having investigated the variety of options over the last few days, here is want I've decided to do.

I looked into getting the part (ink supply system) and found several possible suppliers with pricing around $145.00 and with shipping would total about $200. Looking at the service the manual repair looks straight forward and doable but I have decided I cannot find justification with putting more money into a 5 year old printer.

I was already beginning to think about moving to the P800 even before this failure so that is want I have decided to do. I found the printer for $1149 and with the $300 of Epson rebates the net cost will be $849. I will continue to use the 3880 for Matte printing until my full set of ink runs out and then dispose of the 3880 at that time.

Best of luck to all having similar issues and decisions to make.

Roy

You can get the part shipped from China for about $145, but I understand being hesitant to undertake the investment in an old printer. When you get ready to dispose of it, offer it here instead of trashing it. So far the P800 ink chips haven't been broken so the 3880 may be the last 17" Epson that you can print Piezography on.

I really like my P800, especially the new black inks. I do not like its new paper path. Instead of using the rear feed you need to use the front feed for thicker media. I've had it mangle a few sheets, whereas the 3880 never did that even when it didn't feed straight. I've printed fewer than 25 sheets with the front feed and I've had it destroy two of them (one was a sheet cut from a roll, so not perfectly flat and I'll take the blame for that one). That could get expensive. It's also much slower. I'd say it's a poor trade off for the ability run roll paper with no cutter.

howardm

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 02:08:03 pm »

If canon was smart, they'd roll out a PRO-1000 MkII right quick w/ roll option and no length limit.  They'd eat Epson's lunch.

pluton

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 07:51:24 pm »

I rarely switched inks. So my guess is either B or C. The fact that my MK ink continued to work (not leak) leads me to vote for option C, but I really haven't studied the mechanism to see if that makes sense.
I rarely switched inks on my 3800 that acquired the drip problem, so it's B or C for
 me as well.  When the problem first appeared, there were drips of color ink on one or two prints.  But that soon became black only.  I have no idea which black, however.

Pete Berry

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 08:56:37 pm »

If canon was smart, they'd roll out a PRO-1000 MkII right quick w/ roll option and no length limit.  They'd eat Epson's lunch.

So right. Just can't understand their logic in coming out with such a neutered replacement for the great, but ink-set dated 5100 with all the pro paper handling options you could want.

Pete

Nick Walker

• www.sportpicturelibrary.com
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 03:37:05 am »

MY 4 year old 3880 just suddenly developed the dripping black ink problem. Tried magic bullet cleaning solution but didn't work. My Epson 3800 only lasted 2 years and developed the same problem.

For a change I have just purchased a Canon ImagePrograf Pro-1000. So far a refreshing change as there is no evidence of printer star wheels on saturated black backgrounds which all of my Epson printers have shown regards of the platen gap settings and drying time - to be fair the marks were only visible on the Epson if the print was turned obliquely to the light and on black or very dark featureless backgrounds. Only time will tell how long the newly designed print head will last but at least I can replace it!

howardm

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:38 am »

Did the model/partnumber of the head say PF-10 ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:08 am »

Relaxing the length limit is the easier part and can happen more quickly than redesigning those parts of the machine and its firmware that would need to be done for incorporating a roll option. They would need to assess whether it is worth the investment (which would be substantial in terms of redesign, testing, factory production line tooling and roll-out, marketing, software, firmware, documentation, etc.) relative to the number of roll holders and additional printers they would sell. And Canon is setting high standards for proof of concept in these new machines. If they do a good enough job on relaxing the length limitation, users would be able to print panos at least up to several feet long without a bespoke roll holder - there are ways.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up