Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Problems and New Printer Decision  (Read 9789 times)

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
Epson 3880 Problems and New Printer Decision
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:38 am »

Debated on added this to other threads on the Epson P800 or Canon Pro-1000 but in the end decided to start a new thread.

First, some information that may be of interest to current Epson 3880 owners.

As a hobbyist I have been printed with a Epson 3880 for just over 4 years with mostly flawless performance. About two weeks ago I started to get some minor ink blobs on my prints when using Photo Black and then the Photo Black would clog shortly thereafter. At first, a few nozzle checks or a cleaning would take care of the problem but then a few days later it would return. During a print session this last weekend the problem returned, much worst than before, major ink blobs and no amount of nozzle checks or cleaning would stop the problem.  Doing some troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion that there is a failure in the ink delivery system for Photo Black. Searching the internet, including the LuLa forums, confirms there are quite a few documented cases of this failure with Photo Black and the printer much be serviced to replace the ink delivery system. I also contacted my local Epson Service Center this morning and they confirmed this is most likely the case, of course an actual diagnostic would be needed to confirm this but the service technician confirmed this has been one of their most common repairs on the 3880. What may be of most interest to other 3880 owners is that the 'ballpark' estimate I received to fix the printer, was that it would be approximately $450.00. Based on current rebates about half the cost of the new P800, making the decision to repair a difficult one. As a side note, the printer stills works flawlessly using Matte Black.

So the dilemma is do I repair (mostly likely not), stay with Epson and get the P800, or switch to Canon and get the PRO-1000 (a very viable alternative). As others have already commented in the reviews and other threads on the P800 and PRO-1000 this is not as easy a decision as may first appear, with both printers capable of producing excellent prints. The P800, while having some definite worthwhile upgrades, still continues to required switching of Photo and Matte black inks, an additional point of failure and ink usage, and possibly inferior paper handling/loading as a couple of points to consider. The Canon on the other hand doesn't have the issue with black ink switching and most reviews pointing out its better paper loading characteristics, it does have a couple of possible major downsides, higher initial cost and its paper length limitation at this time.

We all must weigh these factors and others in our own situation and make a decision, but I wonder what thought process others that have already made the choice or are considering the choice went through in their decision?

I thank everyone ahead of time for you thoughts and input.

Roy 

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: Epson 3880 Problems and New Printer Decision
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:04 am »

Just for the record, all of the clogs I have had in 2 1/2 years of owning a 3880 have been with the PK black.
Jay W Page

howardm

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:35 pm »

My 3880 rarely clogs but usually, it's Cyan, not the PK. 

I *rarely* switch blacks (fear of the valve failure) but yesterday I did a wiper/purge clean and the head was fairly clogged after that (paper towel under the head) which an autoclean fixed.

Anyway, if you're feelin lucky and the force is with you, you can get the part that they use (the entire ink assembly) for between $135-175 and do it yourself if you're reasonably mechanical.  The manuals (PM me) are available.

LGeb

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »

My 3880 did the same thing. If you search around you will find it's pretty common, and seems to be happening more often as the printers age. The repair was simple and pretty cheap. I ordered the part (Ink supply 1518586 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XEpson+1518586.TRS2&_nkw=Epson+1518586&_sacat=0) from an ebay seller in china and it arrived in a few weeks. I think it took me a few hours to replace, but if I were to do it again it would be a 45 minute repair. The printer has been working great since then.

howardm

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:05:50 pm »

Would you be willing/interested in writing up some form of document on how to do that, pitfalls, etc etc?

I think it would be helpful to quite a number of people.

LGeb

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 01:47:14 pm »

Would you be willing/interested in writing up some form of document on how to do that, pitfalls, etc etc?

I think it would be helpful to quite a number of people.

I'll see what I can do. I wish I had thought to document the process with photos. 90% of the job is removing and replacing covers. I just followed the service manual, which I found online. In short: the ink supply is sold as a unit and it consists of the cartridge holders, chip readers, tubing, dampers and connectors to the head. So there's not much skill needed to replace it and it was a very clean job. I don't think I got any ink on me or the pads I put down. Since it's all new it required refilling the ink lines, so it wasted a bit of all inks. I'll see if I can find the links I used for the manual and the procedure to refill the lines soon.

howardm

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 02:15:48 pm »

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure I already have the service manual (and more), I just have had no need to delve into it (knocks wood).  Did you need the magic software in order to reinitialize the printer (ie. refill the lines?)

unesco

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:14 pm »

So, if you buy another printer you can have one for PK (either Pro-1000 or P800) and the old one for MK. I know people who keep Epson for matt papers (7900) and also have Canon for glossy-type mediums (8400). No switching.
The other option could be conversion of your 3880 to B&W printer with Piezography or MIS.

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:07:58 pm »

Anyway, if you're feelin lucky and the force is with you, you can get the part that they use (the entire ink assembly) for between $135-175 and do it yourself if you're reasonably mechanical.  The manuals (PM me) are available.

Thanks, I certainly feel that I'm mechanical proficient enough that I could do a repair like this. It's just do I feel it's worth the trouble based on the age of the printer and the fact better printers being available. By the way, that is the assembly the repair center said would need to be replaced. I figured their labor costs would be about double their parts costs.

Roy

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 03:14:02 pm »

So, if you buy another printer you can have one for PK (either Pro-1000 or P800) and the old one for MK. I know people who keep Epson for matt papers (7900) and also have Canon for glossy-type mediums (8400). No switching.
The other option could be conversion of your 3880 to B&W printer with Piezography or MIS.

That is exactly what I have been considering over the last 24 hours. Keeping the 3880 for Matte for the time being, I still have a full set of spare carts for the 3880, and getting one of the new printers for PK.

Decisions, decisions... :-)

howardm

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:15:26 pm »

the 'funny' thing is that somewhere, Epson actually suggests swapping that entire assembly out every couple of years (like 2 or so).

And only the P800 or PRO-1000 are 'better' but then you're spending $1000-1200 vs. 135+  (and then account for any money lost due to 3880 carts you cant use or sell)

donbga

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:27:28 pm »

Debated on added this to other threads on the Epson P800 or Canon Pro-1000 but in the end decided to start a new thread.

First, some information that may be of interest to current Epson 3880 owners.

I thank everyone ahead of time for you thoughts and input.

Roy

FWIW, Epson USA currently has refurbished 3880s available for $895. I think that also includes free shipping.

Don Bryant

LGeb

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »

I actually bought the P800 at the same time I ordered the part. I felt I was gambling $140 that it would fix the problem and didn't want to miss out on the year end rebate on the P800. So I used up the 3880 ink as best I could and then switched the 3880 over to Piezography.

howardm

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »

does it come w/ full carts and warranty?  it's not that great a discount off what was it's street price.

LGeb

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 03:31:32 pm »

Thanks,

I'm pretty sure I already have the service manual (and more), I just have had no need to delve into it (knocks wood).  Did you need the magic software in order to reinitialize the printer (ie. refill the lines?)

See: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?151-Initial-Fill-Procedures-for-Epson-Pro-Model-Printers I didn't want to buy the Adjustment program and used the 3-4 Power Clean Cycles from the printer control panel. If I were to do it again I'd probably buy the program and run it under Parallels.

donbga

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 04:06:10 pm »

does it come w/ full carts and warranty?  it's not that great a discount off what was it's street price.

Comes with carts but I believe the warranty is limited to 90 days. I've purchased 3 refurbished printers from Epson over the years and knock on wood never had a problem.

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 05:06:47 pm »

Comes with carts but I believe the warranty is limited to 90 days. I've purchased 3 refurbished printers from Epson over the years and knock on wood never had a problem.

But with current rebates you can get a brand new P800 for $895, Retail $1195 - Standard Rebate $250 - Printer Upgrade Rebate $50 =  $895.

donbga

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 05:14:15 pm »

But with current rebates you can get a brand new P800 for $895, Retail $1195 - Standard Rebate $250 - Printer Upgrade Rebate $50 =  $895.

I'd rather replace the 3880 with a 3880 since I have my workflow dialed in with that printer, especially since I use it for printing digital negatives. But the $895 price is attractive for the P800.

Don

pluton

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 04:38:53 pm »

My old 3800 develop the dripping ink issue.  I replaced it with a 3880.
Question:  Has it been determined with any certainty that the ink drip problem is the result of:
A)  Too much MK-PK ink switching(the valve is poorly made, and fails from being used)
B)  Not enough MK-PK ink switching(the less-used ink...MK or PK... sludges up and cause clogging, then leaking)
Or...that..
C)Frequency of MK-PK ink switching has nothing to do with the ink drip failure.

banning

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 10:30:11 am »

LGeb... same situation with my 3880..considering piezo... does this use both matte and photo black stations?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up