Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for MIS Autoprint on Windows 7?  (Read 2660 times)

John Hollenberg

Replacement for MIS Autoprint on Windows 7?
« on: May 08, 2016, 12:45:18 pm »

I want an easy way to automatically print a small test file daily while I am gone to keep my Canon ipf6300 running smoothly and avoid nozzle clogs/wasted ink from cleaning cycles.  I am on Win 7/64.  There used to be a program called MIS Autoprint, but I can't find it now and don't know if it runs on Win 7 anyway.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:40:53 pm by John Hollenberg »

John Hollenberg

Re: Replacement for MIS Autoprint?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 02:33:51 pm »

I found a way to do this as follows:

You will need Ifranview. http://www.irfanview.com/
An image to print

The following instructions are for all editions of Windows 7.

Open Windows Task Scheduler:
     Click on Start
     Click on Accessories folder
     Click on Run
     Type taskschd.msc
     On the right, choose Create Task
     Type in a name, e.g., Autoprint
     From the Dropdown menu for Configure for, choose Windows 7
     Click the Triggers Tab and click New
     Make sure Begin Task "On a Schedule" is selected at the top
     Choose your Start date and time and recurrence schedule
     Click the Action tab and click New
     For Program/Script enter "C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" (with quotes)
     For Arguments enter the path to your image e.g., "C:\AutoPrint.jpg" /print (with quotes)
     Save your task

Note: if you have the 64 bit version of Irfanview, substitute "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view62.exe" (with quotes)

Make sure roll paper is loaded and printer will remain on

Set ipf6300 as the default printer (at least while you are away on vacation) - Start Menu -> Printers and Devices, then right click the ipf6300 and click Set as default

Right click ipf6300 and click on Printing Preferences, make sure you have the correct media type selected for your paper

That's it! Professional autoprint results with built in Windows components.

Edit: I couldn't figure out a way to print smaller than 11 inches in height, which wastes some paper as the image is only about 5.5 inches high.  The Printer Properties tab only showed letter size paper as an available choice, and the smaller size I set in Printing Preferences didn't have any effect.

I found the following image on a web site for Canon ipf6400 purge print.

Note that this method will only exercise either the PK or MK ink, depending on media type selected.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:44:43 pm by John Hollenberg »

John Hollenberg

Re: Replacement for MIS Autoprint?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »

You may want to disable this task until you go on vacation.  You can right click the task in the Task Scheduler Library and disable or enable by right clicking on the task as shown below:

John Hollenberg

Re: Replacement for MIS Autoprint on Windows 7?
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »

I also found a report of a way to automate nozzle checks, but haven't tried that yet:

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cool-trick-how-to-do-nozzle-checks-as-a-scheduled-task.3494/

stockjock

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:50:51 pm »

You can do the same thing using Photoshop and Droplets but it is very fussy.  I had it running reliably on my Windows 7 computer but I haven't been able to get it working properly on Windows 10.  No idea why.  I assume I am making some sort of error in the way I am setting up the Droplet or the setting in Task Scheduler but I could be wrong.  I guess I will give your Ifranview method a try. 

John Hollenberg

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 02:55:00 pm »

I only posted my method (found here but modified slightly: http://www.vinylforum.org/smf/resources/how-to-autoprint-like-a-pro/?PHPSESSID=2544a2affa8f2211b30653ba0a090389) after I got it working on Win 7/64 professional.  Pretty straightforward for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up