Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kolgrafafjörður 2  (Read 1659 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
kolgrafafjörður 2
« on: May 07, 2016, 09:04:04 am »

Thoughts?

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: kolgrafafjörður 2
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 10:08:22 am »

Honestly, Jeremy, unless you could bring some mid-tone contrast out in that valley and add some drama to the clouds, darken the foreground so that the valley with the extra contrast and texture, diffusely lit by the sun through the clouds, which is a lot of PP, I'd pass this one by. Maybe consider turning it into a b/w. Sorry I can't be more positive. Wouldn't crop it tho ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:51:43 am »

I do like this, but I would like to see a bit more local contrast ("Clarity") in the sunlit hills, but not so much as to spoil the mood, which is quite fine.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:43 am »

Agree with Eric, "like this". Just a quick peek around in the tiny file reveals all kinds of hidden treats and reflections and details. If it were my full res file I'd give it the benefit of many pleasant evenings and surely not dump the color info until absolutely ready to.
A common woman~

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:20:48 pm »

Jeremy,

Wonderful scene. Perhaps the full potential of the image hasn't been realized yet.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 12:52:30 pm »

Honestly, Jeremy, unless you could bring some mid-tone contrast out in that valley and add some drama to the clouds, darken the foreground so that the valley with the extra contrast and texture, diffusely lit by the sun through the clouds, which is a lot of PP, I'd pass this one by. Maybe consider turning it into a b/w. Sorry I can't be more positive. Wouldn't crop it tho ;)

I generally agree with David, particularly the B&W suggestion. The yellow color in the center background is, I believe, the sun coming thru the clouds, but to be honest it looks more like there is a giant dog going around - well, you know.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:29:39 pm »

...that "yellow" color in Jeremy's post is perhaps just a processing error, as in my quick search through his file I was easily able to clear it, and that on a tiny "baked" jpg. There is a lot there if he has a nice large file to work with, and it was not about the color per say , but about hanging onto to it as long as possible to have its sensitivities and luminance at hand for a good conversion to BW if wishes to go that route. Once you've split toned or dumped color info you have essentially limited your paths for conversion.

Ok I'll give it a rest...it's just I see some things I like and hope are available in the full res file...I hope Jeremy hangs on to the original for its potentials. This was the first of his trip posted that I sensed his awareness of place really opening, and the reason for my post. Thanks for posting it Jeremy. 
A common woman~

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:34:44 pm »

Interesting comments, for which I thank you: they and their like are after all why I post images here.

I'm normally a fan of monochrome; I tried but I couldn't manage a conversion here which kept the mood I remember, of cold with hope for a clearing sky (as indeed transpired).

What do you think of this version?

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 01:42:14 pm »

...that "yellow" color in Jeremy's post is perhaps just a processing error, as in my quick search through his file I was easily able to clear it, and that on a tiny "baked" jpg. There is a lot there if he has a nice large file to work with, and it was not about the color per say , but about hanging onto to it as long as possible to have its sensitivities and luminance at hand for a good conversion to BW if wishes to go that route. Once you've split toned or dumped color info you have essentially limited your paths for conversion.

Ok I'll give it a rest...it's just I see some things I like and hope are available in the full res file...I hope Jeremy hangs on to the original for its potentials. This was the first of his trip posted that I sensed his awareness of place really opening, and the reason for my post. Thanks for posting it Jeremy.

Thanks for the comments, Pat. The yellow had appeared when I was removing the strong blue cast which Lightroom had given when applying white balance "as shot". I'd removed some of it, but that which remained is a pointer to the advantages of getting up, having tea and reassessing a photo after processing and before posting. I've taken more of it away now. The file itself is 50MP, uncropped from my shiny 5Ds.

I took the photo on the second morning. I was settling into the beauty of the country in somewhat better weather than on the first day, when the harsh wind and driving snow had done little to increase my happiness.

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 02:25:17 pm »

Now "II" is what I had in mind and for my instincts more visually interesting. Not going to do PP by committee, but the only consideration from this version is whether you could reduce the "noise" in the clouds; I like the tones but would smooth it out some. I know these are esthetic points, but to me the new version is much improved and the "need" for b/w conversion seems lessened to me, YMMV. It's fun seeing you work through these images from your trip. Also, agree with Patricia's comment re: sense of place.

Modification: Now that I look again, I would say leave the clouds as is.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 04:04:36 pm »

I like the new version just fine.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:52 am »

Now "II" is what I had in mind and for my instincts more visually interesting. Not going to do PP by committee, but the only consideration from this version is whether you could reduce the "noise" in the clouds; I like the tones but would smooth it out some. I know these are esthetic points, but to me the new version is much improved and the "need" for b/w conversion seems lessened to me, YMMV. It's fun seeing you work through these images from your trip. Also, agree with Patricia's comment re: sense of place.

Modification: Now that I look again, I would say leave the clouds as is.

PP by committee has some merits, I'm finding, as long as the aim isn't to please everyone.

It's fun working through the photos I took. I learned a lot.

Jeremy

philaitman

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:38:38 am »

I also like version II a lot.
My personal preference would be to burn the sea just a little bit darker, then again I a self-confessed shadow addict :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 02:47:56 pm »

I also like version II a lot.
My personal preference would be to burn the sea just a little bit darker, then again I a self-confessed shadow addict :)

Thanks. Interestingly, I'd lightened the water at the bottom right, to mirror the sky.

Jeremy

philaitman

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 04:10:19 am »

Thanks. Interestingly, I'd lightened the water at the bottom right, to mirror the sky.

Jeremy

A good reason to do it :)
My thinking was the dark stripe at the top of the sky would look good mirrored at the bottom, but maybe I'm thinking a little two-dimensionally about it. All that aside I do like it a lot.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 02:13:10 pm »

A good reason to do it :)
My thinking was the dark stripe at the top of the sky would look good mirrored at the bottom, but maybe I'm thinking a little two-dimensionally about it. All that aside I do like it a lot.

Decent reasoning. I'll play with it a bit. The shot has already been hugely improved by the suggestions I've had, so one more must be worth considering.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up