Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations (Not Desktop Replacement)  (Read 3836 times)

dwswager

Laptop Recommendations (Not Desktop Replacement)
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »

I'm in search of a laptop that will be general purpose, but double for photo editing when I travel and am away from my real computer.  Everything I Google about photo editing laptops comes up with Desktop Replacement laptops.  I do not need the fastest processor or tons of memory.  I would much prefer balancing better battery life. What I am looking for is a great screen with appropriate graphics hardware for reasonable calibration, the right USB 3.0 and maybe thunderbolt ports, decent battery life, reasonable size and weight.

I'm currently using an Asus UL30vt (13.3") laptop with Intel SU7300 dual core processor and 4GB of RAM and 200GB SSD (user installed).  Claim to fame was the 12 hour battery life.  A speed demon it is not.  The problem beyond it being just a little slow now with the 36MP files is that the screen is rather terrible.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful!  Thank You!

AlterEgo

Re: Laptop Recommendations (Not Desktop Replacement)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »

Dell it seems has current notebooks with PremierColor 4K (IGZO panel) that possibly can be h/w calibrated (using external colorimeter/spectrometer) with PremierColor application.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »

With similar needs I ended up with a MS Surface tablet with the keyboard case. I didn't need the bulk of a true laptop, just something portable for travel and it suits my needs.
Check one out if you can. The hardware feels solid without being too brick-ish. Runs LR & PS reasonably well.
-MattB

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:34:32 pm »

I'm using the XPS 13 with an i5 + 8gbs of ram mainly as a 'on set' machine to tether to when we need.

It's actually pretty speedy even when editing a multi layer 5dsr tiff in PS.

I believe you can get it in 16gbs if you go for an i7.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Pictus

• Retouching

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »

XPS 13 i7 and 16GB, but you could back that down to i5 or less RAM if you don't want to pay.  I got a great deal through Costoco though.  Before I got this I tried the XPS12, the MS Surface, an earlier lower end XPS13 and a Razer (all returned).

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:34:05 am »

A good reference http://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best-Notebook-Displays-As-Reviewed-By-Notebookcheck.120541.0.html

Thanks for this and to all for responses.

It's not that I don't like fast or am not willing to pay for it, but when you are used to getting 8 hours (old battery, new it was about 11 hours) on a battery charge, the idea of always having to hunt down an electrical outlet is unappealing. 

QUESTION: Do the ultra high resolution screens aid in photographic editing and color/tone correction?  Assuming a constant screen size, what we are really discussing is an increased pixel pitch such that 100% view of an image would render more of the image on screen, but at a smaller physical size.  As someone at 51 years old and just started using +1.5 reading glasses, does higher pixel pitch have a net positive or negative impact to actually seeing the effects of adjustments?

dwswager

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:55:11 am »

My current options look like:

1. Asus Zenbook (13 or 15.6")
2. Dell XPS  (13 or 15.6")
3. Lenovo X1 Carbon 14"

The Asus is the best value even though it is over specified with i7 and 16GB of RAM and touchscreen for $1499.  It does have a 3840 x 2160 IPS screen, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3, Dual-band 2x2 802.11ac, Bluetooth, SD reader, Nvidia GeForce 960M GPU.

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:52:36 am »

My current options look like:

1. Asus Zenbook (13 or 15.6")
2. Dell XPS  (13 or 15.6")
3. Lenovo X1 Carbon 14"

The Asus is the best value even though it is over specified with i7 and 16GB of RAM and touchscreen for $1499.  It does have a 3840 x 2160 IPS screen, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3, Dual-band 2x2 802.11ac, Bluetooth, SD reader, Nvidia GeForce 960M GPU.

Only input I will add is that we use Lenovo at work, have used Dell, and currently have a Asus laptop myself (not at home so not sure exact model). Out of the three brands I certainly have had the best overall experience with the Asus brand. Not to say that the Dell and Lenovo are bad, just that from my use Asus has performed better overall with regards to reliability, performance, ease of use, etc.

Good Luck with you decision.

Roy

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:05:42 am »

I just happened upon this web page from March 2016.  His top 2 recommendations are an Apple MacBook Pro ($2500) and a similarly configured Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW ($1500).

Nine Best Laptops for Running Lightroom (90 compared)

This appears to be a very good resource for a number of reasons:
1. He outlines at the bottom his major (Fast Processor, Quality screen, Fast drive) and Minor (GPU, RAM, External Video connections) criteria.   
2. He is realistic in his requirements.  He lists a $400 budget laptop for example with 4GB of RAM, but IPS panel.  Yes you can run Lightroom or Photoshop in 4GB of RAM; I've done it for years.  His minimum recommendation is 8GB. 
3. He was comprehensive in review sampling over 90 laptops.

Only input I will add is that we use Lenovo at work, have used Dell, and currently have a Asus laptop myself (not at home so not sure exact model). Out of the three brands I certainly have had the best overall experience with the Asus brand. Not to say that the Dell and Lenovo are bad, just that from my use Asus has performed better overall with regards to reliability, performance, ease of use, etc.

Yeah, I like ASUS stuff too.  Why I'm still rocking a 13.3" Asus UL30vt from 2011.  But time for an upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:29:05 am by dwswager »

dwswager

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »

Just to finish this out, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Asus Zenbook Pro UX501WV-US71T for $1499.  Comes with Windows 10 Pro.  It is slightly larger, heavier and has a narrower 16x9 aspect (bad thing) than a Macbook Pro 15 inch, but the screen is slightly larger and it is about $1000 cheaper than the mac with higher resolution.  Gigabit Ethernet is the only thing it really lacks.  It is more laptop than I needed at more cost than necessary.    I would call this a photographer's laptop (a primary work station) as opposed to a laptop for a photographer (used as necessary away from a primary work station).

15.6" IPS UHD (3840 x 2160) screen (New LG replacing last year's Samsung)
16GB DDR4 RAM
512 PCIe SSD
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2G/4G GDDR5 VRAM
Dual-band 802.11 b/g/n or 802.11 ac
Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0
10/100 Base T
1 x Microphone-in/Headphone-out jack
1 x USB 3.1 TYPE C port(s)
3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
1 x HDMI
1 x Thunderbolt port