Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800 Video Introduction  (Read 7309 times)

pearlstreet

Epson P800 Video Introduction
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:06:38 pm »

Hi, just got my new p800 and Dano said you should do a print head alignment when first using a printer. Is this common practice? I thought that was something you did to correct an issue with your prints.

Thanks,

Sharon

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Epson P800 Video Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 02:05:53 pm »

Hi, just got my new p800 and Dano said you should do a print head alignment when first using a printer. Is this common practice? I thought that was something you did to correct an issue with your prints.
Yes! When moving the printer (shipping or otherwise), it is a good idea to do this.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pearlstreet

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:27:30 pm »

Thank you!

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »

One other point that Dano Steinhardt made in the video is that the paper size and paper type in the printer display isn't important as the driver in the computer will override those settings.

I always disliked the redundancy and I'd like to rely on setting up the driver properly and ignoring the printer so I'd like to confirm that before I waste a sheet of paper. 

BTW, I'm really enjoying the P800 and I'm testing the Epson Legacy Papers.  I've only worked with the Platine and Baryta so far but both seem like winners.  I really like the Baryta for a lot of my work but will compare the Legacy Baryta against the Canson Baryta I have before a purchase though.
Regards,
Ron

tonyrom

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:59:14 pm »

On the topic of Canson versus Epson Legacy papers, I too suspected the Epson papers to be manufactured by Canson.  I did a profile comparison and they are super, super close for the Baryta.  I have a close friend who is well known in the industry and knows Dano and told him my theory and he agreed based a conversation he had with Dano.  He also stated there maybe a slight tweak in the coating which is showing up in the profile change.  If you can live with the minute difference, the Canson is more cost effective.

-tony

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:16:45 pm »

One other point that Dano Steinhardt made in the video is that the paper size and paper type in the printer display isn't important as the driver in the computer will override those settings.

I always disliked the redundancy and I'd like to rely on setting up the driver properly and ignoring the printer so I'd like to confirm that before I waste a sheet of paper. 

I assume  you already have an answer to this, but thought I’d add a little info for those who read this thread. Yes, whatever you put into the driver will override any settings in the printer.  Easily confirmed when you switch paper types ... when I switch to cards which require matte ink, I don’t change the printer from luster paper, but the printer will do the ink swap because of the paper/mk ink choice in the driver.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »

Thanks, Wayne.  Yes, it only took one sheet of paper moving from satin to matte to confirm that indeed the driver is indeed in charge of things.  I must admit I got tired very quickly of inputting things into the printer's touch screen.   
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up