Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?  (Read 19611 times)

kevs

Re: How do I open a folder of jpegs in camera raw?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 03:15:32 pm »

Thanks Andrew, will notate and test thanks. I think that is very new, very CC? And for folders you agree, at some point in the Mac finder one should be able to select a group of jpegs and right click, choose ACR to open, which currently is not there — which only Bridge can do.. if I have that right....
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 03:22:13 pm »

And for folders you agree, at some point in the Mac finder one should be able to select a group of jpegs and right click, choose ACR to open, which currently is not there — which only Bridge can do.. if I have that right....
I haven't heard back from Adobe so I'm not sure what's up, but other's have reported that they can open multiple JPEGs into ACR on Mac. I can't. Only those that have some metadata indicating they were edited in the past from Lightroom.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

kevs

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 03:37:53 pm »

I can't either, but hopefully that will be offered down the road, is that an Adobe or Mac OS thing?.. A guess Adobe... I'll try to remember to keep and eye out for it!

Pete Berry

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 03:00:59 am »

To open the occasional non-RAW file from PS6 into ACR or a series from a folder, I use the File > "Open as" utility which opens a browsing window with an enormous number of "open as" file type choices at the bottom, including Camera RAW. Both the folder you choose and the intended file type choice are "sticky" for subsequent images in the session, as are the ACR settings, so it's much faster for a series of non-raw shots under the same lighting conditions if they need WB or other global corrections - eg the 10MB .BMP 4K frame captures I'm doing more and more.

Pete

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:23 am »

To open the occasional non-RAW file from PS6 into ACR or a series from a folder, I use the File > "Open as" utility which opens a browsing window with an enormous number of "open as" file type choices at the bottom, including Camera RAW. Both the folder you choose and the intended file type choice are "sticky" for subsequent images in the session, as are the ACR settings, so it's much faster for a series of non-raw shots under the same lighting conditions if they need WB or other global corrections - eg the 10MB .BMP 4K frame captures I'm doing more and more.
Indeed and that works on this end too. The issue is, you can only open one JPEG at a time this way. If you select more than one, hoping all will open in ACR, nada; you get the JPEGs in PS proper. Not what the OP wants.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Pete Berry

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »

Indeed and that works on this end too. The issue is, you can only open one JPEG at a time this way. If you select more than one, hoping all will open in ACR, nada; you get the JPEGs in PS proper. Not what the OP wants.

True, once the image is in PS, the "open as" utility won't work. But for us kludges who eschew CC and LR, cling to PS6, and prefer their own file structure to Bridge, this seems the only option, that's really little hassle. Two clicks in PS (File > Open As) and you're back to your folder to select the next image.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:23:05 pm by Pete Berry »

kevs

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »

Pete, I think I understood some of that. The problem we are discussing is that on Mac finder, right click jpeg there is no ACR open with option.

Pete Berry

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 03:11:55 pm »

Pete, I think I understood some of that. The problem we are discussing is that on Mac finder, right click jpeg there is no ACR open with option.

You have to start in PS, with no images open in it that you want to put in ACR. Go to "File" on the PS top bar, select "Open As" which opens a browsing window, open your folder and select your first image which appears in "File name" at the bottom. Then in "Open As" under file name, select Camera RAW" in the long drop-down of file types, and your image opens in ACR. When done, and back in PS6, for the next images do the same File>Open As routine, but your folder will be open and Camera RAW remains selected, so just click on your next image - just three quick clicks after the first image for subsequent ones.

This is how it works in PS6, but maybe not in CC...

Pete
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:17:03 pm by Pete Berry »

kevs

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:04 pm »

I went from CS5 to CC, but issue is opening direct from the finder, not PS, so as the OP of this thread, I hope that is clear somehow. But if not that's ok.

Pete Berry

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2016, 03:38:18 pm »

I went from CS5 to CC, but issue is opening direct from the finder, not PS, so as the OP of this thread, I hope that is clear somehow. But if not that's ok.

Yes, that was clear to me from the start, but with the various solutions and problems, I was just mentioning a pretty simple way of opening files into ACR through PS that some may not have been aware of...I really didn't mean to hijack the thread or offend you.

Pete

kevs

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 03:54:05 pm »

Don't worry Pete, but opening ACR from PS is easy I think. The snag seems to be in the Mac finder.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up