Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm X-Pro2: I took the plunge  (Read 9799 times)

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
Fujifilm X-Pro2: I took the plunge
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:47:05 pm »

I couldn't wait for the Lula Review of the Fujifilm X-Pro2, so having read others and watched a few videos, I decided to do my own hands on -- by buying one.

It's my first venture into the mirrorless world (how will I shave?) and the so-called digital compact experience. Like many geezers and geezettes, I am tiring (literally) of hauling 30lbs of DSLR gear around, but I'm enjoying the experience for more reasons, mostly the kind of freedom it encourages. I feel like I'm back in the days I carried a little rangefinder in the mountains and on the streets, 30-years-ago.

It will take a bit more time with the camera until it "gets out of the way," but already I think I'm getting some good results. I've made a little unboxing video and written a preliminary review. Anyone else using the X-Pro2?

David S

Re: Fujifilm X-Pro2: I took the plunge
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:51 pm »

I too just purchased the X-Pro 2 and the 23 mm f1.4 lens. I had and still have an older X-1 with kit lens and the 60 mm macro lens. I used range finders for years and bought this for the range finder option as one of the key factors. I have actually been saving for this since Michael reviewed the original X-Pro 1 and so far love how it feels in my hands and for non-macro shots use to optical range finder view most of the time. Better than I remember from my old Leica CL (40 & 90 mm lens)days but oddly similar.

Dave

John R

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:32:02 pm »

Raymond, I am looking forward to your review. There are some reviews on the X-Pro2, but it seems to me most are "predisposed" to liking the camera and are part of a large Fuji fan base. Nothing wrong with that, I like my Pentax too. But it would be nice to see some truly new camera switchers give their opinion on the new Fujis. A switch is a big investment, and in the end I may have to borrow or rent one for a while.

JR

RPark

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:50 pm »

Glad to hear Dave and you got the 23mm too! Wonder if, like me, you prefer a slightly wider view for "normal." The lens quality is very impressive -- great build and very sharp.

As I say in my video/review, the ergonomics are superb, if I am still getting use to the controls. I'd like to purchase the 56mm f1.2 ... maybe a zoom but not sure which. The 24-70 spends the most time on my full frame DSLR.

I too just purchased the X-Pro 2 and the 23 mm f1.4 lens. I had and still have an older X-1 with kit lens and the 60 mm macro lens. I used range finders for years and bought this for the range finder option as one of the key factors. I have actually been saving for this since Michael reviewed the original X-Pro 1 and so far love how it feels in my hands and for non-macro shots use to optical range finder view most of the time. Better than I remember from my old Leica CL (40 & 90 mm lens)days but oddly similar.

Dave

RPark

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:42:58 pm »

Raymond, I am looking forward to your review. There are some reviews on the X-Pro2, but it seems to me most are "predisposed" to liking the camera and are part of a large Fuji fan base. Nothing wrong with that, I like my Pentax too. But it would be nice to see some truly new camera switchers give their opinion on the new Fujis. A switch is a big investment, and in the end I may have to borrow or rent one for a while.

JR

My cursory review and photos are up (linked in OP). I actually wasn't predisposed to like Fuji, going on the mixed experience I had with my first Fuji camera -- the S2 DSLR. But after testing the X-Pro 2, I was sold. There's a few cons, as mentioned in my review, but the image quality is superb and the design mostly well done. I'm not yet ready to jump up and down with joy, mostly due to what may be my own slow learning curve with the menu. We'll see.

R

David S

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:44:30 pm »

Years ago I read an article looking at the angle of view in classic paintings and they noted that often the so-called normal would require an 85-105 mm lens and the wide view would be covered by a 40 mm lens. I do plan to get the 16 mm lens in the future but so far, wide is the 23mm (roughly 40 mm equiv) lens.

Dave

RPark

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »

Years ago I read an article looking at the angle of view in classic paintings and they noted that often the so-called normal would require an 85-105 mm lens and the wide view would be covered by a 40 mm lens. I do plan to get the 16 mm lens in the future but so far, wide is the 23mm (roughly 40 mm equiv) lens.

Dave

Yes, I also require a wide-angle, and since my favourite has always been 24mm on 35, I also would like to get the 16mm.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:08:54 pm »

I picked up the X-Pro2 as soon as they hit B&H, coming from the X-T1, X-E2 and X-E1. 

Overall the camera has been a positive experience for me, I am not a fan of rangefinder cameras, but it was the only test the 24MP chip.  Also I have since learned that Fuji has two different image processors (at least 2) one for the X-Pro series and the other for the X-T1, E1 & E2, so I wanted to see if there was a lot of differences.

Positives for me:

1.  The camera has excellent AF, and the joystick really adds quite a bit to control.  It's very easy to change to focus point with the camera up to the eye.
2.  All the controls that matter are on one side, unlike the X-T1 which allows you to do everything involving image review to be done with one hand, I prefer
     over the X-T1 style.
3.  Resolution and noise are very good up to around ISO3200, after which the quality of the file will suffer especially if pushed in lower light
4.  Capture One has done a good job on the raw conversion and from initial testings LR may have worked some magic also as I don't find the plastic strange
     look to raw conversions that I am so familiar with on older Fuji's with LR
5.  DR in the ISO 200 to 2000 range is very impressive, and the files have a ton of malleability (raw)
6.  By far the best set of buttons I have used on Fuji, the tactile feel and feedback when pressed is excellent
7.  Layout of the menus is very good.
8.  The totally reworked shutter is also a great addition, quiet and 8FPS is plenty.  AF tracking is still something I am working with.

Cons:

1.  NO tilting screen, so for me this eliminates some style of shooting I like to do with Fuji's mainly Macro.  At my age, it's just easier to tilt the screen instead
     of bending down.

2.  Smallish grip, for me
3.  No battery grip, which is most unfortunate as the battery life of the camera is considerably less than my previous Fuji's
4.  Battery life, pretty bad, and from my use, the battery percentage indicator is pretty worthless, as most of my cells die with 44 to 35% showing left, and
     all of them are the Fuji brand.
5.  Instant AF, in Manual mode, seems to have an issue at least with my X-Pro2.  Images are consistently a bit softer when I use this in M mode, over standard
    AF in S mode.

It's a joy to use, the images are exceptional and the newer AF system with the huge number of AF points on the sensor is excellent.  Not a big fan of the optical, but the EVF is very good and gets the job done.  Still can't manually focus any of the Fuji cameras, not sure why, as I can easily focus Nikon, Canon, or even Phase One, but on the Fuji, I will never get the image quite as sharp in manual mode.

With the X-T2 around the corner, I will most likely go forward to it, but there are certain aspects of the X-Pro2 that I like over the X-T1, and if Fuji would come out with a higher milliamp battery, I could use the camera at night, but for now the current cell is only going to run about 1 hour on a continuous shoot, not enough for me.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

RPark

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:05:24 am »

I picked up the X-Pro2 as soon as they hit B&H, coming from the X-T1, X-E2 and X-E1. 

Paul C

Great review, Paul. Thanks. I concur with many of your points. The short battery life is especially restrictive. Too bad there's no grip. I await an aftermarket grip with Arca Swiss plate.

The joystick is nice. My experience is that ISO 6400 works (see examples in my gallery). I haven't tested manual focus enough to comment, but the auto seems pretty good, if not competitive with my DSLRs. I tried my friend's X-E2 on the weekend, which seemed pretty sluggish by comparison.

I've tested RAW. Unfortunately, as a CS6 owner, Adobe doesn't value my business.

BTW, nice galleries. I had a dear friend from the Ozarks. Your beautiful images give me a better idea of the landscape he grew up in.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 06:53:39 am »

I have the X-Pro 2 now and have been really enjoying it so far.  Just got the L-Plate from RRS.  I also picked up the 100-400mm.  As always Fuji has done an excellent job with this camera and the 100-400mm with the 1.4 tele extender is really impressive.  The X-Pro 2 has made me pull out all my Fuji gear again and I have a lot.

I am working up a review on this camera as well as number of others.  Been kind of a back logged after being gone for over a month in S. America and then prior to that Iceland. 

The thing that I enjoy most is the joy stick on the camera that moves the focusing point.  Of course the viewfinder is a joy to work with and really well executed.  I am doing a workshop in the Palouse in early June and have denied that it will be done with the Fuji X-Pro 2 and the XT-1. Should be a good opportunity to see how it does in the landscape.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

alfin

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 06:56:18 am »

I've tested RAW. Unfortunately, as a CS6 owner, Adobe doesn't value my business.
Use Adobe DNG Converter, it works fine. You don’t get the Fuji color profiles, but automatic lens profiles work.
Lars Mollerstrom

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:13:59 am »

the 100-400 is on the list for me, sadly, I already have the 1.4 converter, (2x on the way supposedly) and with the May 22 price deals, Fuji left the 100-400 out again.  You can still get the combo for the big discount, but no straight discount off the 100-400. 

I realize the 100-400 is a great lens, but to me a bit over priced when compared to the rest of the Fuji lineup and when I consider the Nikon 200-500, and just how good that lens is (amazing) and it's $1,400.00, I just can't go 1,900 for the Fuji at least yet.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:36:45 am »

I also have a lot of Fuji gear, which I use for about 90% of my assigned work, and 100% of my personal work. Given how much I loved the X Pro 1, despite its flaws, I pre-ordered the X Pro 2 when it was announced. I've been very happy with it so far, and will likely get another one this summer. I agree almost completely with Paul C's list of good and bad, though I am actually pretty happy with very high ISO files (and they are raw!!! unlike previous Fujis), and I just carry a lot of batteries and change them often.

As for lenses, I have quite a few, but the 18mm spends most of its time on the X Pro 2. I use the 16mm for work - it's a terrific lens, way better than the 1st gen Canon 24/1.4 I had. For personal work/travel I carry the camera with the 18mm, the 10-24, 35, and 55-200. Lightweight, compact, and covers a good range.

Hope you continue to have fun with it.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 10:26:29 am »

I was a bit unfair on the high ISO comment, as for sure the X-Pro2 is much better than the X-T1, at least from my work.  The X-Pro2 will easily shoot at ISO 2000 to 3200 with very little problems, a bit if you push, but that's still OK.  Past 3200 and I start to see more pain than gain, but the 1600 to 3200 range is very good, especially with the 16-55 and 50-140, both of which are stellar even wide open.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

RPark

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:14 pm »

I have the X-Pro 2 now and have been really enjoying it so far. .

Looking forward to your review, Kevin. My experience has been mostly good as well, as detailed in my review/video. Thanks for the heads-up on the RRS plate -- they hadn't added it last time I looked. Planning to get the L-plate.

I envy you the 100-400. It's on my "want" list. I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up against WAY more expensive DSLR lenses, like the 500 f5.6 super telephotos. I like to photograph birds.

The joystick is one of my favourite features.

RPark

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:49:14 pm »

Thanks for the tip. It sure would be nice to get the colour profiles though.

Use Adobe DNG Converter, it works fine. You don’t get the Fuji color profiles, but automatic lens profiles work.

RPark

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:52:26 pm »

I also have a lot of Fuji gear, which I use for about 90% of my assigned work, and 100% of my personal work. Given how much I loved the X Pro 1, despite its flaws, I pre-ordered the X Pro 2 when it was announced. I've been very happy with it so far, and will likely get another one this summer. I agree almost completely with Paul C's list of good and bad, though I am actually pretty happy with very high ISO files (and they are raw!!! unlike previous Fujis), and I just carry a lot of batteries and change them often.

As for lenses, I have quite a few, but the 18mm spends most of its time on the X Pro 2. I use the 16mm for work - it's a terrific lens, way better than the 1st gen Canon 24/1.4 I had. For personal work/travel I carry the camera with the 18mm, the 10-24, 35, and 55-200. Lightweight, compact, and covers a good range.

Hope you continue to have fun with it.

I'm agonizing over which lens to buy next -- 16 or 18mm? I should probably invest in a zoom as well. Your kit looks about what I'd like to eventually assemble.

Cheers, R

RPark

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 12:57:03 pm »

I was a bit unfair on the high ISO comment, as for sure the X-Pro2 is much better than the X-T1, at least from my work.  The X-Pro2 will easily shoot at ISO 2000 to 3200 with very little problems, a bit if you push, but that's still OK.  Past 3200 and I start to see more pain than gain, but the 1600 to 3200 range is very good, especially with the 16-55 and 50-140, both of which are stellar even wide open.

Paul C

To my eye, 6400 is still acceptable, at a push. Check out the bar scene and "Jim & Rose" in the gallery accompanying my post. No noise reduction applied.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 01:00:42 pm »

The 16mm is a beast, in both weight and size.  It's also not corrected for coma well at all, so it's a no go for night work, at least stars.  The other lens I would consider is the 14mm, F2.8, very light weight and actually close to coma free wide open.  Also the 35mm F2. is a real sleeper, and if you are wanting to street shoot would be a real companion for the X-Pro2.  From reading more about the 35mm F 2.0, it seems that the same designer worked on both the X-Pro2 and 35mm F2.0.  The 35mm F 2.0 is tiny, even when compared to the 14mm F 2.8.

One thing about Fuji, as far I know, they just don't make a bad lens.  Their glass is really well optimized for the APC-C sensor, even the kit 18-55 lens can produce wonderful images on both the X-T1 and X-Pro2. 

The other real sleeper is the 10-24, F4.  Wide open that lens has a hyperlocal range of around 6 feet to infinity on the X-T1 and the 10-24 is no where near the size and weight of the 16-55.  The only issue I have with the 16-55 is no OIS, really really would like to see that have happened. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 02:18:04 pm »

I'm agonizing over which lens to buy next -- 16 or 18mm? I should probably invest in a zoom as well. Your kit looks about what I'd like to eventually assemble.

Well, that's my personal/travel kit. For work I have three X-T1 bodies and pretty much all the lenses (yeah, I can quit anytime I want :) ). I mostly shoot with the 16, 23, and 56 or 50-140 depending on the assignment. The primes are uniformly excellent. Heck, so are the zooms.

The 18 is a great little lens, highly underrated in my opinion. It's the smallest Fuji lens with an aperture ring. It's not exceptionally sharp in the corners, but I'm not shooting architecture with it. For street, reportage, photo-j work, and as a one-lens carry-around solution, it's perfect for me. But then I love shooting the 28mm-equivalent focal length, my favorite by far.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up