Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Canon EOS1DX MKII - Full Production ISO Samples

(1/6) > >>

Josh-H:
I have finally had a few minutes spare to shoot some test images with the full production specification (no pre-production hand built) Canon EOS1DX MKII camera (I now have two of these).

For this test I simply photographed a color checker indoors in natural low light (window light on a heavily overcast day). I needed to start in a very low light situation in order to test the full ISO capability of the camera. If I had not, I would have run out of shutter speed! Likewise, I needed to start with a relatively wide open Fstop or the low ISO exposures would have been more than several seconds.

All of the exposures are Evaluative metering, meter as read. Shot in AV mode, F4 (DOF not an issue). Camera was tripod mounted and I used the Canon 300mm F2.8L IS MKII lens. Mirror Lock up. 2 second self timer.

I did two sets. One with the new EOS 1DX MKII and one with the EOS1DX for comparison of the ISO improvements (same settings). Note the 1DX MKII goes to higher ISO's so there are more files and the last three are the push H1, H2, H3. H1, H2 and H3 are to as to be expected... ordinary...

I only did full stop ISO tests from ISO200 upward, since the intermediate ISO settings are either push or pull and I never use them.

The results pretty much speak for themselves. But, if you don't want to download and do the math.. The EOS 1DX MKII is (to my eyes) 2 stops better than the MKI in the meatball range of ISO where it counts - 800 to 12,800. Personally, I would quite happily shoot this new camera at ISO 12,800 if I needed to.. the original 1DX I preferred not to go over 3200 or maybe 6400 at a pinch if optimal results were the goal. Having said all that.. Its very easy to make ISO 51,200 on the EOS 1DX MKII look awfully good with moderate noise reduction in LR.

Here is a pretty compelling screen grab at 100% comparing ISO12,800 on the 1DXMKII to ISO3200 on the original 1DX. 1DX MKII on the left.

You can download the full size original RAWS here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dlc6bx7t5slyxy7/AAC5X0WSvpTnDMUfc8Aa7WWna?dl=0

Now that this is done I am returning to my regular programming of shooting out in the field. Taking two of these EOS1DX MKII's to the South Island of New Zealand tomorrow for 3 weeks photography. That will be the real test for me. When its nearly dark and I am hanging out of a helicopter over the southern alps in -15C with the doors off.. Bring it on.  ;D   

Edit - The files are taking a while to upload to Dropbox..if they are not all there, try a bit later today.

Rory:
Thanks very much for posting this Josh.  Have a great and safe trip to the South Island.

For what it is worth, I really can't see much difference between the 1DX and 1DXMKII files, viewing with default color noise reduction, no luminance noise reduction and default sharpening in Lightroom.

Screen grab at 100% comparing 1DXMKII ISO 3200 (left) vs 1DX ISO 3200 (right)

Perhaps those with more expertise can evaluate how much improvement there is between the two cameras.     

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: Rory on April 29, 2016, 10:39:00 am ---Thanks very much for posting this Josh.  Have a great and safe trip to the South Island.

For what it is worth, I really can't see much difference between the 1DX and 1DXMKII files, viewing with default color noise reduction, no luminance noise reduction and default sharpening in Lightroom.

Screen grab at 100% comparing 1DXMKII ISO 3200 (left) vs 1DX ISO 3200 (right)

[...]

Perhaps those with more expertise can evaluate how much improvement there is between the two cameras.   

--- End quote ---

Hi Rory,

When comparing ISO 3200 shots, the photon shot noise is the same between models and that noise still dominates a lot of the total noise footprint. When you start pushing such files, the Readnoise will start to show itself more clearly. The same would happen if you use much higher ISO settings, which will get less and less photon signal, and relatively more of the constant Readnoise floor.

I haven't had time yet to compare the files in detail myself, so I don't know what higher ISOs do, but the 1DX Mark II should be better.

Cheers,
Bart

shadowblade:

--- Quote from: BartvanderWolf on April 29, 2016, 01:01:41 pm ---Hi Rory,

When comparing ISO 3200 shots, the photon shot noise is the same between models and that noise still dominates a lot of the total noise footprint. When you start pushing such files, the Readnoise will start to show itself more clearly. The same would happen if you use much higher ISO settings, which will get less and less photon signal, and relatively more of the constant Readnoise floor.

I haven't had time yet to compare the files in detail myself, so I don't know what higher ISOs do, but the 1DX Mark II should be better.

Cheers,
Bart

--- End quote ---

You've got it the wrong way round.

Increasing ISO means fewer photons collected and more amplication, which means increased photon shot noise. If you want less photon shot noise and more contribution from read noise, you need to look at lower ISOs - at ISO 100, there will be minimal photon shot noise, with most noise being read noise.

AlterEgo:

--- Quote from: shadowblade on April 29, 2016, 02:25:00 pm ---Increasing ISO means fewer photons collected

--- End quote ---
ISO is not a part of exposure, which is exposure time and aperture...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version