Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 now available  (Read 7220 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 now available
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 01:06:53 am »

Interesting, one bug fix they have listed is "Droplets not working as export actions ", but that was fixed in the last update.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 05:43:05 am »

Missing metadata - Solved
Process HDR/Panorama from stack - Solved
Create a panorama from HDR - Not Solved

ButchM

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 08:33:05 am »

Interesting, one bug fix they have listed is "Droplets not working as export actions ", but that was fixed in the last update.

Unfortunately, it was only partially restored in v2015.5/6.5 ... it was again possible to export to a Droplet ... but only for a single image export ... if you sent a batch of images (something that has worked since at least v2 of Lightroom) it would only apply the Droplet to the first image of the batch and ignore the balance. Users who had been relying upon the export to Droplets either had to resort to a convoluted work around, export one image at a time or roll back to v2015.3/6.3.

Which is a classic example of the pitfalls of the subscription system. for the past several months, Adobe has insisted I continue paying my monthly stipend while also introducing new versions of software that restricted long accepted functionality that created further investment of my personal resources in discovering and troubleshooting the issue ... then further invest more time informing Adobe of the issue to be told it will be fixed in v6.5 ... only to go through all the steps once more to be told it would be fixed ... again ... in the next update ... which was announced by Jeffrey Tranberry, yesterday on the feedback forum as "This should be fixed in the Lightroom CC 2015.5.1/6.5.1 update that was released today" .... are we CC subscribers now considered pay-to-play beta testers?

After this much effort ... why don't they know the issue was fixed?

Fortunately, I have not (nor any of my staff) purchased any new cameras or lenses in the interim and have not been deprived of support for same since v6.3 .... but it would be nice to take advantage of the updates I have bought and paid for and not have to wait 3-4 months for Adobe to make multiple attempts to restore functionality they inexplicably removed.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 10:57:57 am »

Missing metadata - Solved
Process HDR/Panorama from stack - Solved
Create a panorama from HDR - Not Solved

I have to wonder if Adobe even has tested this error?  It's so glaring with the blown highlights that I am really surprised it has not been addressed.

I have plenty of example I can send them.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »

Unfortunately, it was only partially restored in v2015.5/6.5 ... it was again possible to export to a Droplet ... but only for a single image export ... if you sent a batch of images (something that has worked since at least v2 of Lightroom) it would only apply the Droplet to the first image of the batch and ignore the balance.
ah.  I thought for sure I had done that since the fix, but apparently I’ve only done one at a time for the last couple of months.  It does seem their testing process needs some improvement. 

at this point I’ve been burned by new bugs or removed features often enough that I’ll probably wait a while to update ...

I just found out last night a feature I used in PS CC was removed with 2015.1 ...  the ability to export and import settings, making it easy to keep two different computers matching with actions and presets. Admittedly I didn’t need to use it very often, usually only when working on and modifying some actions, but it’s still puzzling why a feature like that simply gets pulled. (I’ve found a way to do this using symlinks and dropbox - so far it seems to work OK and it’s automatic, so maybe better any.)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:58:34 pm by Wayne Fox »

ButchM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:13:59 pm »

at this point I’ve been burned by new bugs or removed features often enough that I’ll probably wait a while to update ...

It is really irritating when you consider one of the selling points for CC was that 'features will be released when they are ready' ... something all the fans say is a really big deal ... '$10 a month and we get to use the latest version ... what a bargain!' ... yeah its a great deal until you discover they arbitrarily either remove functionality that breaks your workflow then take months to restore that function ... where's the bargain?

While I am aware that the majority of Lr users rarely, if ever, export to a Ps Droplet ... or even are aware that feature exists ... I find it difficult that there is not one single private beta tester that employs Droplets in their workflow ... which speaks to the lack of effort to involve a more complete cross section of users in that program. This problem could have been ... and should have been caught long before it became an error for the finished release.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:15:07 pm »

I just found out last night a feature I used in PS CC was removed with 2015.1 ...  the ability to export and import settings, making it easy to keep two different computers matching with actions and presets. Admittedly I didn’t need to use it very often, usually only when working on and modifying some actions, but it’s still puzzling why a feature like that simply gets pulled. (I’ve found a way to do this using symlinks and dropbox - so far it seems to work OK and it’s automatic, so maybe better any.)

See the post by David Tristram here https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/why-sync-settings-in-ps-cc-2015-1-was-removed .

- usability: the feature was complex and difficult for many users
- roadmap changes: Adobe wants more of a focus on CC Libraries
- technical issues: the servers used for the feature are going away

I think I've seen more promising info somewhere but just can't recall where.

rdonson

Lightroom CC 2015.5.1 - Plugin Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »

I experienced Lr hangs when trying to update plugins with the latest version.  I was able to force quit and come back in to find the plugin updated.  Since I wanted to update 3 plugins I  had to go through this 3 times.  Its the first time I've experienced this and I was wondering if anyone found this as well. 
Regards,
Ron

graeme

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:11:57 am »

Me too after the problems I had with the last update.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 12:10:29 am »

While I am aware that the majority of Lr users rarely, if ever, export to a Ps Droplet ...

I think you might be surprised how many people use droplets. I use them a lot and I know a good many others who also use them.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ButchM

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:22:52 am »

I think you might be surprised how many people use droplets. I use them a lot and I know a good many others who also use them.

I know there is a staunch group that does rely on exporting to Ps Droplets ... but I'd be very surprised if that number isn't a small group by comparison to the total Lightroom user base. As evidenced by the relatively few responses, (by comparison to other issues) and stated concerns over this latest issue over on the feedback forum.

Like I mentioned, I'll bet the majority of current Lr users (mostly those who adopted Lr in the past couple of years) are even aware that they can employ Droplets in their Lr workflow.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »

I know there is a staunch group that does rely on exporting to Ps Droplets ... but I'd be very surprised if that number isn't a small group by comparison to the total Lightroom user base. As evidenced by the relatively few responses, (by comparison to other issues) and stated concerns over this latest issue over on the feedback forum.

Like I mentioned, I'll bet the majority of current Lr users (mostly those who adopted Lr in the past couple of years) are even aware that they can employ Droplets in their Lr workflow.
I would guess that most Lightroom users don't even know what a droplet is, let alone how to use it inside of Lightroom.

mlewis

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:38 am »

I would guess that most Lightroom users don't even know what a droplet is, let alone how to use it inside of Lightroom.
As droplets are only available on Apple computers, those LR users on Windows don't really care about droplets.

ButchM

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:15:02 am »

As droplets are only available on Apple computers ...

Has this always been the case ... or is it something that has transpired recently? IIRC the earliest video tutorials I viewed on how to create Droplets from an Action in Photoshop were demonstrated on Windows OS.

There was at least some point in Ps history the capability was cross-platform.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:46:41 am »

As droplets are only available on Apple computers, those LR users on Windows don't really care about droplets.

Not true, droplets are available on Windows

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 07:09:57 pm »

I bet I represent a fair size segment that have just given up on feedback to adobe.  I use droplets every day. However I'm sure you are right that the droplet users are in short supply.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

mlewis

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 03:17:54 am »

Not true, droplets are available on Windows
Are they?  I have only heard about them on Apple computers.  If they are available on Windows then I suspect most users don't know this.  I certainly didin't.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 03:45:58 am »

I'm not sure why you think it does not work in Windows.

One thing to note, when you create a droplet there is a section where you check for OS compatibility (Windows, Mac) so what might happen is that a droplet created on a Mac does not work on a Windows computer or vice versa, if the compatibility for other OS was not selected

ButchM

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 09:22:41 am »

I'm not sure why you think it does not work in Windows.

One thing to note, when you create a droplet there is a section where you check for OS compatibility (Windows, Mac) so what might happen is that a droplet created on a Mac does not work on a Windows computer or vice versa, if the compatibility for other OS was not selected

Not only can there be conflicts across OS platforms ... but Droplets created in one version of Ps may not work in newer version. I remember having to re-create/update actions then save new Droplets several times as Ps was updated.

A Droplet is nothing more than a self contained script that invokes a Ps Action. If the tools, or the scripting calls to those tools are changed, the Action/Droplet needs to be updated accordingly.

Since it is basically scripting, I don't know why Droplets would not work on Windows if the current version of Ps has the correct scripting calls for the currently used OS.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up