Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From a Mexican Window  (Read 1950 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
From a Mexican Window
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:57:54 pm »

Highly stylized, looking for C n C.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: From a Mexican Window
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:18:50 pm »

I can't help feeling I'd like it more it it weren't so heavily stylised. I think there's an interesting photo, given the bird, trying to get out.

Jeremy

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:19:36 pm »

And a second in the series. Inspired by Slobodan's architectural photographs, if that is not too presumptuous ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »

I like both, Dave, conceptually. What caught my attention, however, is the overly aggressive noise reduction, leading to a smearing of detail. Then again, who could resist carrying a 1" sensor camera instead of a real one on vacation? So seductively pocketable, quality be damned ;)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »

Reworked the first one along the lines of the second PP, Jeremy. If I remember right, these were shot through a gauzy window shade so I did remove most of the texture associated with that, which I think contributes to the dream-like quality and the smearing of detail. I may have held the second one flat to my window. As you imply, Slobodan, it certainly could be the IQ of the lens or, wait for it, the tequila shakes ;) We were with friends and I knew I was not going to be able to get out to shoot with my "serious" color impaired ;) camera; but the Nikon 1 v2 is better than a phone! Can't say for sure, but I think bird is smeared due to focus; I was focussed on the building next door and I believe the bird was quite far away or, moving very, very fast!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:59:00 pm »

I would try adding some grain. The blurred bird doesn't bother me.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »

That helped a lot, especially with "Second." Thanks for the suggestion.
Updated with grain attached below.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:23:33 am »

I like those much more. It's the kind of thing I photograph frequently, but seldom with any success.

Jeremy

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:22:48 pm »

The photos (perhaps the whites, the sky, the Stimmung) remind me somehow (somehow) Moholy-Nagy in Dessau.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 12:42:32 am »

I had to look up
Stimmung, Moholy-Nagy, Dessau
and I am flattered. Thank you!

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 08:36:56 am »

"It is plain, that in the course of our thinking, and in the constant revolution of our ideas, our imagination runs easily from one idea to any other that resembles it, and that this quality alone is to the fancy a sufficient bond and association […]Here is a kind of ATTRACTION, which in the mental world will be found to have as extraordinary effects as in the natural, and to shew itself in as many and as various forms. Its effects are every where conspicuous; but as to its causes, they are mostly unknown, and must be resolved into original qualities of human nature, which I pretend not to explain.”
D.Hume,  A Treatise of Human Nature.   ;)

Anyway I like them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 08:40:42 am by muntanela »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 09:55:52 am »

:) the treatise above beautifully offers an understanding breath of why I was always so drawn to the captures resulting from the forms,  happenings and interactions of light and motion that would often catch Michael R's eye and be posted from time to time here. His beautiful book available through Endowment contribution is one of the first I moved to Deer Isle Maine for inspiration and recognitions surrounded by sea.

I had read t hat long ago, and will add it to the life reminders I have gathered in a small file for evening browsing by friends at end of day. Seldom do words really do the trick for the transport of inspiration to the music playing behind the eye, but this one luminesces~

« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:08:39 am by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

Hi David, Been waiting to see what else would develop. I like the last one best. Repetition gets the job done. I agree with muntanela that it feels like some of the architectural stuff Moholy-Nagy did. Not thrilled with the handmade paper though. Photography isn't an intaglio process, and trying to fake it looks. . . well. . .
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:52 pm »

Hi Russ, too, always like your comments, even the ones I don't like :) (not this one!) Had to look up another art word "intaglio" and learned another new thing. Remember, it's virtual hand made paper and if I was doing traditional printing, I have always liked that hand made quality, I am thinking about platinum prints, but I digress. I definitely see your point about the repetition, but/and the image is somewhat clearer, more photographic to irritate Slobodan ;) while the first one is more compromised to some extent (I think) by the contribution from the gauzy curtain; I find it technically flawed therefore, but I do like that frigatebird. Also the slant of roof screws with my eye to some degree.

All of that being said, I did print a proof of these and was really pleased with the result. That grain addition helped greatly. Now if there was a way to impose an intaglio process on an inkjet printer output...

Take home message to me: I am fascinated by such subjects periodically, but I rarely photograph them for some reason and that will change going forward as I will shoot more of those. With regard to comments by muntanela and Patricia, if I fully understand and not taken pejoratively, I am reminded of the quote from the Good Book about the fact that there is no temptation that is not common to man. Or is it the Proverb that there is nothing new under the sun?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 12:31:09 pm »

Regards from Chicago  :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »

How cool is that, Slobodan? And, it's not even technically perfect!
Pages: [1]   Go Up