Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison  (Read 27851 times)

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 03:12:49 am »

The next question is if the possible differences in colour rendition depend on image processing and weather those differences can be corrected by correct profiles or not.

Hi Erik,

I think Torger answered this question with a definite yes, with the usual cautionary qualifications.  I think I can see why: DNG profiles are designed to allow us to take any input and turn it into any output via double roundtrips to HVS with stopovers for additional PP (go wild with those sliders, Ken), although compared to a nice, pure linear matrix it seems at first glance to be a little bit like cheating.  This is where I wish we had a bit more clarity from the cognoscenti:

When the goal is trying to objectively characterize HARDWARE quantitatively, as opposed to subjectively achieving pleasing output qualitatively - answering questions that depend on CFA Spectral Sensitivity Functions like sensor gamut, color discrimination, separation, orthogonality - shouldn't we be able to calculate that information straight from the forward 'compromise' matrix?  Hasn't anyone come up with some practical such metrics yet, besides useless SMI?  When someone says 'that camera has poor yellow discrimination', shouldn't we be able to point to a ratio or other combination of terms in the compromise matrix and say yay or nay?  Please show the math in your answer.

Jack

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:32 am »

How did the world ever shoot pictures without knowing the spectral sensitivity of our CFAs!  ::)
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

torger

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:55 am »

In DCamProf I made some attempt to make a color separation diagram, but I quite quickly moved on to other aspects so I haven't really deep dived into it. I write about it here:
http://www.ludd.ltu.se/~torger/dcamprof.html#ssf_csep

The concept is a chromaticity diagram that compares the signal difference in raw units with DE2000, which is a model of color differences for the human eye. That model is rather approximate though so it's by no means an exact comparison, but I think it's in a way like this you should analyze color separation performance -- that is for each chromaticity check how much the raw signal changes for a perceptually fixed color difference unit.

This type of diagram requires the CFA though, and to make it even better one would need to add analysis of sensor read noise and shot noise on top. I don't think you can make out anything useful from just a matrix, especially in the DNG profile case where the matrix may not be so much about the camera's response but just a derived starting point for the LUTs applied on top, and you can derive those starting points in many different ways. In DCamProf I've chosen to make that starting point an as-hue-accurate as possible desaturated matrix to fit withing ProPhotoRGB primaries, but the Adobe profiles I've looked at has used a different approach where the forward matrix doesn't produce any sane color at all. Some profile's even have a matrix that does nothing, that is just pipe the unmodified (white-balanced) raw color directly to the LUT.

In the end what I think you will discover is that for any modern reasonably high end camera the signal difference is high enough within any reasonable gamut that you could modulate it into almost any color you want with a LUT, but as you start under-expose things or go up in ISO (same as under-exposure) and go into strange lighting conditions you may start to see relevant differences.

I also think that what was true about CFAs a few years ago doesn't necessarily count today, to me it seems like CFA responses have become more and more similar even between brands than they were before (and indeed today most high end cameras even use the same brand -- Sony). I think one reason for this is that as the read noise of the sensors have improved you can have more overlapping filters and thus get finer and more robust color separation -- at the cost of increased noise (compensated by the better pixels). Another reason I would guess is simply because technical research has found better chemical formulas for the filters; as far as I know you just don't choose any shape of the filter you want in the design stage, you are limited by what shapes the current filter technology can apply at such a small scale.

(Why does more overlapping filters increase noise? Because more overlaps => less difference between RGB raw channels => less saturated raw color => camera profile must increase separation/saturation => increase of chroma noise.)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 03:58:47 am »

Hi,

The camera software or the raw converter knows the spectral sensivity or just uses measured values from reflected targets.

So as usual, you don't need to know because someone else has done the job for you.

Best regards
Erik

How did the world ever shoot pictures without knowing the spectral sensitivity of our CFAs!  ::)
Erik Kaffehr

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 04:04:16 am »

Hi,

The camera software or the raw converter knows the spectral sensivity or just uses measured values from reflected targets.

So as usual, you don't need to know because someone else has done the job for you.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

I know and that was exactly my point.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

AreBee

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 04:05:18 am »

Erik,

I would suggest that this thread is about CCD vs CMOS in MF digital. The question here is if the new CMOS based backs have different rendition of colour compared to their CCD brethren. The link you refer to discusses 4/3 compared to MFD, mostly.

I provided the link not to derail this thread, nor to refer to a comparison of 4/3 and MFD, but to provide clarity to a comment made by Jack.

That much should have been obvious.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 07:27:27 am »

Hi Erik,

I think Torger answered this question with a definite yes, with the usual cautionary qualifications.  I think I can see why: DNG profiles are designed to allow us to take any input and turn it into any output via double roundtrips to HVS with stopovers for additional PP (go wild with those sliders, Ken), although compared to a nice, pure linear matrix it seems at first glance to be a little bit like cheating.  This is where I wish we had a bit more clarity from the cognoscenti:

When the goal is trying to objectively characterize HARDWARE quantitatively, as opposed to subjectively achieving pleasing output qualitatively - answering questions that depend on CFA Spectral Sensitivity Functions like sensor gamut, color discrimination, separation, orthogonality - shouldn't we be able to calculate that information straight from the forward 'compromise' matrix?  Hasn't anyone come up with some practical such metrics yet, besides useless SMI?  When someone says 'that camera has poor yellow discrimination', shouldn't we be able to point to a ratio or other combination of terms in the compromise matrix and say yay or nay?  Please show the math in your answer.

Jack

The question of why the metrics are so bad is a good one.

One thing I always noticed when visiting Gretag to discuss some new measurement device or do a meeting on camera profiling was the lack of any images on the wall, and the very bad lighting.

What people who work in repro usually do is create their own targets out of a bunch of random materials; the vendor targets have many colors but actually very few pigments, which is why any images shot of them with different cameras can be "superposed" as soon as the pigment recordings are aligned for a given illuminant. So if a programmer says that the profiles can be matched in the sense of matching CC24 to CC24' under incandescent lights, that can be true even if the two cameras will then give completely different renditions in practice, or even on a target made with random materials.

I don't think there is any really hard maths involved (disclaimer, I used to be a mathematician so maths-shaming may not work with me). But there is a fundamental incomprehension of what the hardware should be doing -translating percepts into recordings- and also there is a refusal to keep track of the computational precision of the devices and conversion pipeline. The whole color management model was designed for the scanned-image print world, and it will take another 20 years to catch up with digital capture.

BTW, in my experience 90% of color issues go away immediately even in mixed lighting if you establish a profile in the light of your shot, which is the real advantage of the small colorchecker targets. In the light of the shot means where the subject is, not where you are. I would suggest that people who have color issues start out by doing this rather than junking a whole camera system.

There are some papers out there about what camera sensors do, but in fact - at least when I stopped looking a few years ago - there aren't that many. Nowadays the industry is AFAIK basically riding on the coat-tails of the phone sensors, and that is where all the industry research money is getting spent, although I assume that car sensors are now going to be an even larger market with every car having 10 sensors, some of which will need very high dynamic range.

Camera color is not a research priority. The last major conference I went to, in the non-geriatric crowd (under 30) there were chinese-chinese, taiwan-chinese, american-born-chinese, chinese grad students from the US,  chinese from Canada, chinese from the UK, chinese-chinese grad students from the UK, some indians from the US, some japanese, all from both sexes, a bunch of male and female europeans and a lot of aging US geeks, but not one single american white male under 30. In a phone-camera industry meeting I went to a year or so ago there were few women, but also not a single young white male from the US. As we all know, white males are over-represented in the US computer industry, so their complete absence is indicative of the absence of money and career prospects. On the other hand, color engineering clearly is one tech industry which does not have a diversity problem.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:40:57 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:48 am »

If TheSuede said it, I believe it.

+1

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:58 pm »

Rob,

Mea culpa! The reason I have posted this was that it seems that many photographers have a strong preference for CCD over CMOS. CMOS have been available for MFD for a while, and there are concerns about CMOS vs CCD colours.

This thread was intended to put CMOS vs CCD in a little perspective. I reread the original posting and I know realise that intent was not that clear. I feel that it is very good to discuss noise, DR, PRNU and other relevant factors. But I sort of assume that we are talking relative large sensors here.

The other point is that I can feel that the rendition of two objects are similar, but they may be different for another viewer. Also, just a one test scene may not tell the full story.

If you check the attached images, the ones on the left used Adobe Standard Profile while the ones on the right use a dual illuminant profile produced by DCamProf. The image with the lady on the park sofa doesn't gain that much from the DCamProf profile but the flower image gains a lot.

My personal opinion/guess is that profiles matter much more than CFA-designs and CCD/CMOS doesn't matter at all. The stuff I have seen that far doesn't contradict that belief.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

I provided the link not to derail this thread, nor to refer to a comparison of 4/3 and MFD, but to provide clarity to a comment made by Jack.

That much should have been obvious.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Separation, discrimination, orthogonality, gamut
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 12:28:38 pm »

Hi Jack,

You overestimate my skills in math…

I would suggest that I agree with Anders Torger's findings. I am also deeply impressed by both the amount and quality of the work he has done.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

Jack
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:59 pm »

A comment about Adobe Lightroom's profiles -- they are not designed for a unified look. I've noted that several newer profiles are quite heavily under-saturated (Pentax 645z, A7r-II to name two), and I hope it's such a profile that's used in the LR vs DCamProf example above, otherwise my stuff is making over-saturation :-)

I think the reason Adobe has made under-saturated profiles is to make them more robust and they assume photographers will push the saturation sliders anyway. The challenge with making profiles with correct saturation is that for the outer gamut edges you end up in strange places. I never really solved that problem completely, so for artificial colored lights the Adobe desaturated profile often makes better results.

In profile design there's often a conflict between color accuracy and gradient smoothness. If you want smooth gradients from the outer "impossible" colors triggered by artificial narrow band lights into the normal gamut you must compromise accuracy also for normal colors, otherwise you will at some point get a too fast transition in the LUT and a bad gradient. The easiest way to get around this is to desaturate the whole profile. CFA design also have an impact here, Sony's sensitive blue channel gave me much problems with the Pentax 645z and the A7r-II. I never really looked at Phase One's implementations back then, but I probably will at some point. Even if the IQx50 has the exact same CFA as the Pentax, which I suspect, they could modulate it with the sensor cover glass.

Jack Hogan

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2016, 01:34:34 pm »

If you check the attached images, the ones on the left used Adobe Standard Profile while the ones on the right use a dual illuminant profile produced by DCamProf. The image with the lady on the park sofa doesn't gain that much from the DCamProf profile but the flower image gains a lot.

Erik,

both of your flower examples really show the impact the 'right' profile can have - and assuming dcamProf is more 'accurate' out of the box, quite a positive one at that.  It's nice to have a solid starting point upon which to optionally build a personal interpretation.

Jack

Jack Hogan

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2016, 01:37:13 pm »

Thanks for your helpful thoughts Edmund and Torger, it will take me a while to metabolize them.

Jack

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »

Hi Anders,

Yes, that sample is from the A7rII!

The point on the IR filter is a good one. It may actually have broader influence than just suppressing IR.

Best regards
Erik

A comment about Adobe Lightroom's profiles -- they are not designed for a unified look. I've noted that several newer profiles are quite heavily under-saturated (Pentax 645z, A7r-II to name two), and I hope it's such a profile that's used in the LR vs DCamProf example above, otherwise my stuff is making over-saturation :-)

I think the reason Adobe has made under-saturated profiles is to make them more robust and they assume photographers will push the saturation sliders anyway. The challenge with making profiles with correct saturation is that for the outer gamut edges you end up in strange places. I never really solved that problem completely, so for artificial colored lights the Adobe desaturated profile often makes better results.

In profile design there's often a conflict between color accuracy and gradient smoothness. If you want smooth gradients from the outer "impossible" colors triggered by artificial narrow band lights into the normal gamut you must compromise accuracy also for normal colors, otherwise you will at some point get a too fast transition in the LUT and a bad gradient. The easiest way to get around this is to desaturate the whole profile. CFA design also have an impact here, Sony's sensitive blue channel gave me much problems with the Pentax 645z and the A7r-II. I never really looked at Phase One's implementations back then, but I probably will at some point. Even if the IQx50 has the exact same CFA as the Pentax, which I suspect, they could modulate it with the sensor cover glass.
Erik Kaffehr

AreBee

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2016, 02:43:58 pm »

Erik,

Mea culpa!

Keith once wrote: you've always struck me as being the perfect gentleman. I could not have said it better myself.

Peace.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2016, 02:52:07 pm »

Thanks you both!

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Keith once wrote: you've always struck me as being the perfect gentleman. I could not have said it better myself.

Peace.
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:53 am »

Thanks you both!

Best regards
Erik

Absolutely. Always helpful, never impolite. I think Erik should be used as personality model for Google's version of Siri :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:52 am »

Rob,

Mea culpa! The reason I have posted this was that it seems that many photographers have a strong preference for CCD over CMOS. CMOS have been available for MFD for a while, and there are concerns about CMOS vs CCD colours.

This thread was intended to put CMOS vs CCD in a little perspective. I reread the original posting and I know realise that intent was not that clear. I feel that it is very good to discuss noise, DR, PRNU and other relevant factors. But I sort of assume that we are talking relative large sensors here.

The other point is that I can feel that the rendition of two objects are similar, but they may be different for another viewer. Also, just a one test scene may not tell the full story.

My personal opinion/guess is that profiles matter much more than CFA-designs and CCD/CMOS doesn't matter at all. The stuff I have seen that far doesn't contradict that belief.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik! Thanks for trouble, just wonder if you have white balanced those pictures? if yes, what has been your ref. white balance point in those pictures? or you have separate picture with color passport?

Regards

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 02:55:15 am »

Hi,

If we talk about the DigitalTransitions images, those include a Colour Checker Passport. That CCP was used for both grey balance and camera profiling.

WB was on the third from the left (bright grey) patch while exposure was adjusted for the fourth grey patch (medium grey). I made my comparisons using LR and RawTherapee.

This simple comparison says that profiles can handle the basic differences between Dalsa CCD and Sony CMOS. It doesn't say that Dalsa CCD and Sony CMOS yield the same colours in say Capture One. It could be that something that is "similar" to me may be "vastly different" to another observer. None of the shots here contain skin tones.

What I have read, Hasselblad's Phocus makes a very good job on yielding the same colour on all their backs while Capture One uses different interpretation of colour for Leaf and Phase One MFD. So, there is a Phase One look and a Leaf look.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik! Thanks for trouble, just wonder if you have white balanced those pictures? if yes, what has been your ref. white balance point in those pictures? or you have separate picture with color passport?

Regards
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 04:34:02 am »

By the way, I did a quick comparison of IQ3100 vs A7r-II color response yesterday from Doug's raw files. I'd rather compare the IQx50 with the 645z as they're supposed to have the same sensor but I have no color checker raw shot of that at hand. What I could see though is that the "over-sensitive blue problem" with the A7r-II and Pentax 645z is not there with the IQ3100. This could be to a different CFA, or simply that the sensor glass cuts off some blue and not only IR. In any case a nicer hardware response to work with for color profile designers.

When it comes to matching cameras with profile I usually say that you can bring them very close, and indeed you can. However there will still be residual differences, and when you apply LUT relaxation to improve gradients the differences increase. For saturated colors there can easily be a 3-4 DE difference.

Another aspect is that many profile makers don't care to correct lightness with the LUT, and indeed per default DCamProf doesn't either. One reason for this is that colorcheckers are rarely evenly lit so lightness inputs are not to be trusted. Another reason is that lightness errors are the least disturbing, despite being easier to spot than hue/saturation in a quick A/B swap, and risking to break gradient performance just to correct lightness is often a bad idea. This means that lightness of saturated colors can differ quite much between cameras even when profiled for the same setup.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up