Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison  (Read 27855 times)

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
Re: CMOS vs CCD and colour profiles a quick and dirty comparison
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 02:49:54 pm »

I don't know that much about "Pringle chips", but I am essentially sure that MFD chips are made of Idaho Potatoes.

:)  On the rest, we are fully agreed.

Jack

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »

You are the man where color is concerned, Edmund, I am just learning as I go along.  Given what we know about color matching etc., aren't there some negative numbers in there?  Every Forward Matrix I ever saw before (process) 2012 had them and did a decent job of converting white balanced raw CC24 data straight to XYZ sort of colorimetrically.

Enter THE PROFILE.  Suddenly, the 'profiled' Forward Matrix produces totally desaturated XYZ data, i.e. pretend that the raw data has been mapped to a teeny weeny gamut, way smaller than sRGB, via perceptual intent.  It is then the job of THE PROFILE to take teeny weeny XYZ data and blow it back up to your output gamut accurately again.  Did I mention that on the way there is a trip from XYZ to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to ProPhoto, then to HSV, then to ProPhoto, then to XYZ, then to final color space?  A smart converter may be able to cut a couple of those conversions, but not m uch more than that.  I trust Torger when he says that the stretching and conversions are not detrimental.  But I can't see how this would work accurately unless one is running floating point math. 

Jack

Jack,
I don't understand much of what you're saying, these days I wouldn't know what a negative number or a floating point number is if it bit me in the ass, but I guess what you say probably applies to Adobe's recipe for cooking Raws. Which has probably benefitted from about 5 revisions by now to turn a kludge into a kludge into more of a kludge - because the "standard" old fashioned way of doing rgb2xyz just involved a matrix - I'm fairly certain of that because back when I was still using a Phase back I wrote my own camera profiling package in Matlab which gave quite good results with C1. As you can see from this reply, as a programmer and as a color amateur, I wasn't very sophisticated. I then wrote an editing suite to tailor end-user profiles, but that was built around a bunch of Perl scripts and a LUT-based Basiccolor camera profiling engine. All of this was more than ten years ago, and my memory is now very vague. Thomas Knoll explained to me at the time that ICC-type profiles were completely useless because they weren't something called "input referred" which must be something so complicated that neither I nor anyone at the ICC including Jack Holm could be expected to understand it, and that only DCP profiles were of any use. I looked at how DCP profiles were created chez Adobe, and apparently at that time Adobe had a lightbox which could be switched so that different lights, maybe one fluorescent and one incandescent of lower CT shone on a target that was then photographed. By taking several images the lightbox the camera could be profiled. It all seemed very complicated, and Adobe blackballed the camera profiling software I was then peddling for a major color management company based in Europe, the Japanese camera companies hated the idea of any sort of portable Raw format and hated the idea of profiling even more, and the european color company went through some sort of trans-atlantic merger which kept dislocating its staff, and I gave up, and I guess this is part of the reason everybody except for me now knows so much about color processing in Lightroom. I wasn't very smart to start with, very amateurish, and never learnt to keep up with the latest and greatest.

But btw, I think Torger is a real expert; so if he says the current CFAs on CMOS are great, I think I'll just believe him. What real-world software actually does with the data is a different issue - some years ago I noticed that the print function of a certain widely known Raw converter and file management software released by a major US graphics software corporation was clipping the gamut of my images to the gamut of my monitor, in order to match screen to print print to screen.

Edmund

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:12:15 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

torger

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 02:48:40 am »

The DNG pipeline is already floating point, but not clipless, that is negative numbers, or actually anything outside ProPhotoRGB primaries will be clipped. The DNG LUT is applied in linear prophoto RGB space. I discovered the hard way that if your profile maker has a different way to work with colors (eg not that RGB-oriented, but using various non-linear perceptual models) you need a really dense DNG LUT to work, that's why DCamProf profiles are huge in comparison. It would be possible to design a profile format that could use matrices with negative output values and not clip, and have a LUT that pulls it back into visible space. That would be quite nice, but you could also just do like in Lab ICC profiles, jump directly from raw RGB to the LUT.

In any case DNG profiles and ICC profiles is what we have, I'm not expecting any new profile format anytime soon. And, while both formats have their own sets of ugliness under the hood, they are both capable of producing (almost) any output you want so to the user it doesn't matter.

landscapephoto

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 04:49:42 am »

Between Kodak and Dalsa CCDs there was a big difference between color filters. Between various modern CMOSes today, not so much, unless you look at extremely saturated colors and narrow band colors. The Dalsa CCDs have color filters that are "modern" and neutral, while Kodak seems to have tried to mimic a subjective film response.

Have you tried the Dalsa CCDs from Hasselblad or just the ones from Phase One?

I am asking, because I know from experience that the H4D-60 gives exactly the same colours as the H3D-39. I have had someone who had the two cameras take a few pictures under various lights and send me the results. I know that Phase One gives slightly different colours. It could just be the profile, or it could be that the manufacturers are also able to have a particular set of colour filters mounted on the sensors.

I also agree that Kodak CCDs appear to mimic a film response. It is a big plus for me and the reason I use an H4D-50: I am looking for that particular rendition.

The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters. I also don't want the overly saturated look, sort of David Kinkade on acid, that is popular on 500pix. I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

I get all of this with my present camera. On the minus side, I get more colour shifts under poor artificial lights than with my 24x36, but I can live with that.

I want my next camera to give me the same colours. Maybe I just need a profile, I don't know. All I know is that I am not going to take a colour chart with me every day and include it in all of my pictures as a reference.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 05:34:43 am »

The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters.

It is a problem that will never be answered in this forum because the technical guys will keep insisting that as long as one cam match test chart shots to look the same with profiles, two cameras will shoot everything alike. It does not work that way in real life. Not for real world images.

I have done every trick under the sun, profiling, presets, different RAW demosaicers... nothing will get my Nikon D800 files to look even close to my Credo files.

I did not try to equalize test charts. Maybe that might be possible.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

torger

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 06:26:00 am »

I'm quite confident that they don't have custom CFAs, but I don't have inside information, so I think Hassy's and Phase One's color response is highly similar, with the exception of the IR filter in front of the sensor which of course can have some effect on some highly saturated colors.

That Hasselblad makes their cameras look alike is as far as I can tell a profile design decision, just like it's a design decision by Phase One to instead differentiate their cameras. You can make the Kodak to look neutral with some LUT stretching, it's just considerable more difficult to design a robust profile. Hasselblad's look is pretty neutral, much more neutral than Phase One. I have a H4D-50 myself and have looked at its Hassy colors quite closely and compared to what my own camera profiler puts out. Hassy makes some subtle subjective adjustments plus quite extensive gamut compression, but overall a very natural look. If you design a profile with DCamProf and apply my "neutral+" look, is not too different from Hasselblad's, which is no coincidence as I like to learn from the best and they've been a source of inspiration.

The reproduction use case is "simple"; oh well, it's a difficult craft to make it right, but you can rely on instruments and you don't need to modulate the response with contrast. My color profiling software is not designed towards the reproduction use case (although it can be used with it), but is intended to make general purpose profiles, optionally with a designed look.

My taste concerning designed looks is that I think Hasselblad's way is good, the goal is to make all cameras to look the same, and the base look is neutral but pleasing (which coarsely means slight warmup and saturation increase). It's a good starting point to add a personal look if you want that.

I don't like Phase One's approach where the goal is to create a much more subjective look and differentiate products so when you upgrade your back you get a new look. I also don't think it's good design to put out a heavily subjective look as the default and really no way to get a neutral one, I want to be in control of my color, rather than relying on the "Image Quality Professor"'s personal taste. Anyway, the reason it is the way it is, is because we never really left the film era. The raw processing pipelines today are designed with the intention that the camera profile is the "film roll" and should just like film apply a look.

A more modern way to do things would be to simply just record the CFA response in the EXIF data, have no camera profiles at all, but instead the raw pipeline would create neutral color directly from CFA and handle things like gamut compression automatically (instead of static in the profile like today), and then you could optionally apply pre-defined "look profiles". That's not going to happen though. It would look nicer under the hood, but wouldn't change user experience much, so it's not worth the risk fiddling around with the sensitive subject color is.

Many (most?) other profile maker software available to us consumers are by the way broken by design. What they do is that they make a linear reproduction style profile based on a color checker, and then just blindly apply a RGB tonecurve (or RGB-HSV in case of DNG) on top and assumes that the tonecurve with it's color distortions applies a pleasing look. Well, actually an RGB tonecurve does make a pleasing saturation increase together with it's slight distortions so that's why they get away with it, but it's a mindless way of designing a general-purpose profile. The commercial profiles from the big houses use more advanced and proprietary methods not available to consumers. It was for this reason I started out with my own profile making software project.

And indeed, my goal is the same. To make my next camera give me the same look, regardless of which brand I choose. (And of course that the look is of so high quality I feel I can use it instead of the manufacturer-provided profiles.)

Have you tried the Dalsa CCDs from Hasselblad or just the ones from Phase One?

I am asking, because I know from experience that the H4D-60 gives exactly the same colours as the H3D-39. I have had someone who had the two cameras take a few pictures under various lights and send me the results. I know that Phase One gives slightly different colours. It could just be the profile, or it could be that the manufacturers are also able to have a particular set of colour filters mounted on the sensors.

I also agree that Kodak CCDs appear to mimic a film response. It is a big plus for me and the reason I use an H4D-50: I am looking for that particular rendition.

The whole discussion here appears to revolve around the idea of calibrating a camera so that it reproduces a colour chart perfectly. I don't want to do that. I am not in the business of reproducing paintings. I want my landscape pictures to have a particular rendition that reminds me of film, without going into the excesses of instagram filters. I also don't want the overly saturated look, sort of David Kinkade on acid, that is popular on 500pix. I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

I get all of this with my present camera. On the minus side, I get more colour shifts under poor artificial lights than with my 24x36, but I can live with that.

I want my next camera to give me the same colours. Maybe I just need a profile, I don't know. All I know is that I am not going to take a colour chart with me every day and include it in all of my pictures as a reference.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 06:33:45 am by torger »

landscapephoto

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 07:19:57 am »

I'm quite confident that they don't have custom CFAs, but I don't have inside information

Torger, I respect your opinion, because I know the software you have written. But I have seen discussions on colour response on this forum for ages and in the end it always boils down to the characterisation of the CFA and nobody appears to have data on that.

How could we measure the transmission spectrum of the CFA? Wouldn't it be possible to have this data by taking a photograph of a diffraction grating behind a slit? I have seen pages where astronomers did something similar. I have also seen pages where people buy a spectrometer with a DVD as grating and cardboard box with a slit.

AreBee

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:57 am »

Anders,

Between Kodak and Dalsa CCDs there was a big difference between color filters. Between various modern CMOSes today, not so much, unless you look at extremely saturated colors and narrow band colors. The Dalsa CCDs have color filters that are "modern" and neutral, while Kodak seems to have tried to mimic a subjective film response.

...Hasselblad's look is pretty neutral, much more neutral than Phase One. I have a H4D-50 myself and have looked at its Hassy colors quite closely and compared to what my own camera profiler puts out. Hassy makes some subtle subjective adjustments plus quite extensive gamut compression, but overall a very natural look.

In the first paragraph, the response returned by Dalsa CCD sensors is considered to be neutral more so than Kodak CCD sensors, whereas in the second paragraph the opposite appears to be true.

Please can you clarify?

eronald

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 07:57:13 am »

Torger, I respect your opinion, because I know the software you have written. But I have seen discussions on colour response on this forum for ages and in the end it always boils down to the characterisation of the CFA and nobody appears to have data on that.

How could we measure the transmission spectrum of the CFA? Wouldn't it be possible to have this data by taking a photograph of a diffraction grating behind a slit? I have seen pages where astronomers did something similar. I have also seen pages where people buy a spectrometer with a DVD as grating and cardboard box with a slit.

This is a typical tool for fast spectral response determination.

http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

Otherwise one can use a monochromator; universities with optics labs etc have this.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 08:03:21 am »

It is a problem that will never be answered in this forum because the technical guys will keep insisting that as long as one cam match test chart shots to look the same with profiles, two cameras will shoot everything alike. It does not work that way in real life. Not for real world images.

I have done every trick under the sun, profiling, presets, different RAW demosaicers... nothing will get my Nikon D800 files to look even close to my Credo files.

Yes, you are probably right.
If you really wanted to try with charts, try with the big ones - Colorchecker SG.
Anyway at the moment it looks like every camera out there will in the near future match every camera out there because they are all Sonys.

Edmund

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:42 am »

Hi,

That tool is around 10000€. A monochromator is not that expensive around 1000€ and up, but monochromator from lab equipment are often sold cheap on E-bay. With a monochromator you still need a light source and it needs to be calibrated. The calibration device is usually a spectroradiometer and those are expensive.

Best regards
Erik

This is a typical tool for fast spectral response determination.

http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

Otherwise one can use a monochromator; universities with optics labs etc have this.

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 08:14:18 am »

Hi,

That tool is around 10000€. A monochromator is not that expensive around 1000€ and up, but monochromator from lab equipment are often sold cheap on E-bay. With a monochromator you still need a light source and it needs to be calibrated. The calibration device is usually a spectroradiometer and those are expensive.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

The single shot device is quick, robust and even spits out a profile. If you're in the business of checking or reverse engineering cameras, do a hundred of them that's $100 per unit.

I don't think someone without training -in the commercial world- will set up the monochromator method, and people with the necessary knowhow mostly work in labs that already own the equipment, including a high end spectroradiometer.  Frankly, if you have the space, I believe a monochromator from ebay, a lightbulb and an eyeone spectro would suffice, but then what would I know, I've never done it. Remember that lightbulbs and camera CFAs are usually not spiky ...

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:35:40 am by eronald »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:04 am »

Hi Synn,

I won't argue…

One of the issues comparing say Phase One CMOS and Phase One CCD is that you need to shoot both side by side on different subjects. In that case you still don't know if the vendor software would give a similar look.

Indeed, Anders Torger says that Capture One gives a different look for Phase One backs and Leaf backs, although both use the same sensors. On the other hand, it has been stated Hasselblad puts great effort into achieving similar colour on all backs.

It would be nice to have some reference raw images, like theLenna imageoften used in digital image processing. It would be nice to have a nice portrait shot with different sensors. That image should also contain a grey reference. I am not aware of any such standard image. The comparison I have made is based on the images DigitalTransitions have shared. Good images by the way.

I would be glad to post such images, but I don't shoot portrait kind stuff and I only have a P45+ back and a bunch of Sony cameras.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 08:26:21 am »

In the huge DCamProf thread over at the color management section there's this guy that built his own setup from ebay stuff for a very low cost. Buying new pro gear to measure will cost €10k or even more, here is a complete package: http://www.image-engineering.de/products/equipment/measurement-devices/588-camspecs-express

The tech chief at Hasseblad is very easy to talk to and I actually asked him if they had CFA data for my H4D-50 that I could get, but he said that they never measured it themselves and sent me the datasheet from Kodak (which I already had, and it doesn't help much because it's not so detailed and before IR filter is applied). One may find this surprising that a company like Hasselblad wouldn't use the most advanced techniques to make their great profiles. However when working with my own profiles I discovered that you don't really need very advanced profiling when you make a profile for all-around use, a CC24 does a good job, instead the magic happens in the contrast application algorithms and subjective tunings on top. This is quite different from high-end reproduction work where the choice of target can be very important.

So to make a good profile you don't need CFA, and also to check if color response is different you could just use a target, but it would be difficult to see if it's due to IR filter or due to custom CFA. To make endless forum threads about if medium format color is through sensor hardware better than smaller formats I guess CFA measurements could help some though ;-)

eronald

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 08:32:58 am »

I want good separation between various leaf green tones and I want them to look different under sunlight and under the clouds.

My feeling is that if you have a camera which can do this, then you should keep it, because the Sony's don't look like having good separation in the greens to me. And everything new now is going to be a Sony.

There is no reason to assume that the same camera will do skin tones well and landscapes well.

I am saying this clearly as you are asking for opinions from the color geeks. My opinion is worth exactly what it costs you; Torger certainly understands the tech way better than I do.

Everybody else here is going to shout me down. Except for Synn, if he is awake, because strangely enough we both seem to believe that cameras cannot alway be matched in the real world.

BTW, you might try a Sigma - they are stunning for landscape, although you might run out of pixels.

Edmund

PS. If you want to visualize the issues in the greens, just hit command-I in Photoshop, that inverts the image and usually shows you much more clearly how much variation you really have in the channels.

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2016, 09:11:24 am »

Interesting that the topic of greens comes up. Apart from the skintones, this is where I see the Nikon being absolutely brutal. There is very little separation in the greens, no matter how one processes the files or how they try to equalize them. This is probably due to the CFAs, I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

These images were shot a minute apart from each other.

Nikon:

Leaf:

The Leaf image is a stitch, but that's irrelevant.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2016, 09:20:26 am »

Interesting that the topic of greens comes up. Apart from the skintones, this is where I see the Nikon being absolutely brutal. There is very little separation in the greens, no matter how one processes the files or how they try to equalize them. This is probably due to the CFAs, I don't know and frankly, I don't care.

These images were shot a minute apart from each other.

Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

Jack

AlterEgo

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:06 am »

In the huge DCamProf thread over at the color management section there's this guy that built his own setup from ebay stuff for a very low cost.

right, http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=76849

his setup (not the current, from 2015) from the related topic elsewhere

Iliah Borg also it seems assembled his own

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2016, 09:30:50 am »

Goody, I think I finally understand what is meant by green separation: the green separation on the white shed in the Leaf capture, right Synn?  Definitely the CFA, the Leaf's awesome at bringing out them greens ;)

Jack

With wit like that, I can't believe you are not writing for SNL.

eronald

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2016, 09:33:56 am »

Jack

Yes,they say, the grass is greener in Sony country, but I cannot afford a Sony :)
This is a Canon 1Ds3, which has horribly low ISO, precisely because it has a cleaner CFA than most modern cams.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:37:04 am by eronald »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up